Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fear of Blank Printer Paper  (Read 5172 times)

EMulsion

Fear of Blank Printer Paper
« on: April 19, 2012, 01:49:23 pm »

Hi...I am more experienced with both photography and its associated software than this question will imply, but here goes.

I feel comfortable producing an acceptable digital image according to a lot of the "best practices" often mentioned here. However, when it comes to printing the image out I seem to get lost in a world of options. I am interested in the different crops/borders people use on different sized papers, use of titles or captions, stylized (but not gimmicky) borders etc, but I can't seem to find a collective source for examples of this type of thing.

I have tried using search terms that include things like display, treatment, finishing, etc but I don't seem to get much of what I am looking for. Has anyone come across a kind of a blog or gallery or book that shows different, yet tasteful,  ways to output your digital images. Thank you.

James Billett

• Taunton Wedding Photographer
Re: Fear of Blank Printer Paper
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 06:45:54 am »

Get Lightroom 4.0.
Edit Image
Download your paper ICC from manufacturer
Go to Print Module in LR
Caption your image (print this onto image if you so wish to)
I hate borders or anything else that tries to "add" but only ends up taking away.
Print at 360DPI
Set your sharpening to what you want.
Set Relative Colourmetric
Print.

Not too hard eh?

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 06:59:22 am »

To my mind you are making it over complicated.  If you are lost in the options just keep it simple.  I rarely need to add anything to my pictures when printing except maybe a thin black keyline around the image which is easily added in Lightroom.  I would suggest that if you don't know what you want to add, add nothing.

However if you see an effect you like, ask here and someone might be able to point you in the right direction.

Jim

jule

• http://www.juliestephenson.net
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 07:35:35 am »

Just use the paper as the palette for your image. No printed border... let the matte frame the work and then the frame in which it is mounted. I prefer no titles or signatures visible - yet I sign, name, date and edition in pencil in the area well away from the image so it is not visible at all - so it is covered by the matte - yet proof of authenticity fo my collectors. My signature or title I don't believe should impact or impinge on the voice of the printed image.

Julie.
Pages: [1]   Go Up