Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR4/D800 or D800E Sharpening  (Read 2658 times)

Scott O.

• Photography by Scott and Joyce
LR4/D800 or D800E Sharpening
« on: April 19, 2012, 12:57:12 pm »

Question for Jeff or anyone else who may have an opinion. My current Lightroom workflow regarding sharpening is to use the LR preset 'sharpen scenic'.  Then after processing I use the print module's 'sharpen-standard' when printing.  This applies to landscape-type images, and probably other subjects as well.  Do the algorithms which LR applies take into consideration the sharpness of the original image?  This may be important since the D800 and D800E images are so much sharper than anything else.  My eyes are not what they used to be, so I generally just use the presets, finding they usually do a fine job.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: LR4/D800 or D800E Sharpening
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 03:46:12 pm »

Do the algorithms which LR applies take into consideration the sharpness of the original image?  This may be important since the D800 and D800E images are so much sharper than anything else.

The sharpening in the Detail panel is "normalized" based on the camera. I don't know if the D800 and D800E would be different. The output sharpening isn't dependent on the camera, it's v=based on the output size you choose and works with (applied on top of) the capture sharpening. I will say the presets were designed (by me) for optimal sharpening for cameras in the 16-24MP range. I would suggest testing them against what YOU can do on your own and modify the presets (or create your own) for your camera and subject matter.

Scott O.

• Photography by Scott and Joyce
Re: LR4/D800 or D800E Sharpening
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 04:17:42 pm »

Thanks Jeff...if I ever get the new camera I will apply what you suggest.
Pages: [1]   Go Up