Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moire  (Read 3319 times)

Hariseldon

Moire
« on: April 19, 2012, 11:41:28 am »

Thought this might be of interest.

My personal experience with moire is that I have seen it on three occasions using an M9, when it has been serious.
Twice with clothing and once with a grille on a vehicle. This guy has a shirt that provoked it in a number of shots, with a 28mm f2 Summicron on an M9.  LR4 mitigates the effects somewhat as per the second file.

Interesting thing is when I tried to capture Moire using a number of lenses, distances, angles using a bridal veil I failed.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Re: Moire
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 12:20:56 pm »

Hi,

It depends on distance, lens, pattern, sensor pitch, aperture and technique used.

A good friend had the opportunity to shoot with the Leica S2 in a studio setting and he had some significant color Moiré on two out of eight pictures.

Best regards
Erik

Thought this might be of interest.

My personal experience with moire is that I have seen it on three occasions using an M9, when it has been serious.
Twice with clothing and once with a grille on a vehicle. This guy has a shirt that provoked it in a number of shots, with a 28mm f2 Summicron on an M9.  LR4 mitigates the effects somewhat as per the second file.

Interesting thing is when I tried to capture Moire using a number of lenses, distances, angles using a bridal veil I failed.

Erik Kaffehr

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 12:39:25 pm »

Just to make the discussion more interesting, here is an example of moire with an AA camera (Canon 40D, Canon 17-55/2.8 ):

MrSmith

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 12:44:43 pm »

shooting office interiors today and ran into moire on 2 shots (fabric divider screens between desks) i just shoot a frame at f16 and let diffraction do it's thing and i'll comp the area into the main shot.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 01:53:49 pm »

shooting office interiors today and ran into moire on 2 shots (fabric divider screens between desks) i just shoot a frame at f16 and let diffraction do it's thing and i'll comp the area into the main shot.
Does this mean that you actually see the moiré directly after the shot ( on a monitor/labtop) or that you make each time a d16 shot for just incase..?
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

MrSmith

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 03:54:13 pm »

yes, shoot tethered to the laptop, i noticed the moire and had a quick look at the moire tool in C1 but decided to shoot a frame stopped down.
if i can sort out some attachments i'll post some crops in a bit

MrSmith

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 04:00:11 pm »

f8 and f13

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 08:44:36 pm »

f8 and f13

Hi Gary,

Well done, f/13 came a long way to reducing the amplitude of the aliases. FYI, your 5D2 would have eliminated all moiré at an aperture of between f/16 and f/22, as predicted by physics and this (your 5D2 and the 1Ds3 have the same sensel pitch / sampling density / Nyquist frequency).

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Ray

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 11:41:03 pm »

Of course, what's missing in such examples of moire, are comparisons of the same scene shot from the same position with lenses of equal quality, using two cameras with the same pixel density, one of which has an AA filter and the other which doesn't. We will now be able to make such comparisons with the D800 and D800E.

Slobodan has provided an example of Moire from the 40D, and I also have examples of moire from the 40D, and examples from other cameras that include an AA filter.

When we see an extreme example of moire, such as that from the OP, it looks bad of course, but we may erroneously assume that in the same situation, using the same quality of lens at the same aperture, we would not get any moire at all with another camera which includes an AA filter.

What might be the case in all these extreme example of moire from cameras without an AA filter, is that most cameras of similar pixel density, which do have an AA filter, will also produce noticeable moire, just not quite as bad

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 11:59:14 pm »

Hi,

I would argue that moiré and aliasing in general is one of the major reasons to reduce pixel size. With smaller pixels, less OLP filtering is needed and the effects of the OLP-filter will be less. I would also assume that an image with smaller pixels would respond better to sharpening.

The downside of reducing pixel size is that DR is going down. Right now it seems that Nikon D800 is the DR-champ although it has relatively small pixels.

Best regards
Erik

Hi Gary,

Well done, f/13 came a long way to reducing the amplitude of the aliases. FYI, your 5D2 would have eliminated all moiré at an aperture of between f/16 and f/22, as predicted by physics and this (your 5D2 and the 1Ds3 have the same sensel pitch / sampling density / Nyquist frequency).

Cheers,
Bart
Erik Kaffehr

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 12:57:52 pm »

I had the Kodak SLR/n which does not have the AA. It was plagued with moire for my subjects. Mostly aerial City views, it would take a lot to convince me no AA is a plus point. From the little I've seen on the web the advantages of no AA are tiny. I doubt in print you would notice a difference worth bothering about.

Kevin.
Kevin.

Guldsmed

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2012, 11:06:43 am »

After reading the D800/D800E shoot out, where the problem of Moire was notably absent, I am wondering about moire in pics of natural features. I do know, that fabrics especially but also other regular man made objects are the most dangerous re the problem, and that natural landscapes, do not induce them. But what about the structure in bird feathers or the scaling on a butterfly wing, features that also have a great degree of regularity?

best wishes

Jan F. Rasmussen, Denmark who has a pre order for D800, but is attracted to D800E instead....
Pages: [1]   Go Up