Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NIkon D3200  (Read 5728 times)

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
NIkon D3200
« on: April 19, 2012, 12:36:43 am »

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/04/19/Nikon-D3200-with-WiFi-Option#images

$699 - you gotta love that

24MP raw stills

24/25/30p 1080 video manual control with manual audio (but no hf jack?)

This seems so more appealing than putting cash into a non (motion) raw shooting camera in the $15k mark

a year ago the twits and the fora would have gone wild for this spec , at $6999

S

« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 12:46:18 am by Morgan_Moore »
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

mac_paolo

Re: NIkon D3200
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 02:51:27 am »

This announcement declares that the D400 will still be the same 24MPx sensor, IMHO, with better side elements to justify the professional taste.
Nice camera BTW :)

Sareesh Sudhakaran

• The Indie Farm
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 02:56:01 am »

I guess now's not a good time to invest in gear...maybe next year? Maybe never?

By the way, kudos to Nikon for the price point - guess this is Nikon year!
Get the Free Comprehensive Guide to Rigging ANY Camera - one guide to rig them all - DSLRs to the Arri Alexa.

mmurph

• http://
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 03:03:34 am »

Actually fairly similar to the Canon T3i, especially since the new Magic Lantern was released in December.

There should be a T4i out soon, as Canon has been blowing out the refurb bodies from Canon Direct, which is usually a pretty good sign. If we are lucky ML will work with the new version day 1.

The T3i was about $530 yesterday with 20% off on refurbs.
I was going to jump in and mention the T3i when you were talking about the 5DII issues recently.  The T3i does allow autofocus while shooting, doesn't dump down the resolution, has the articulating screen. With ML you can actually pre-set a near and far focus along with the focus steps, so that it will stop exactly on a mark short of infinity.  It has the digital magnification of 3x to 10x while shooting, either for focusing or to record.  ML allows a shutter speed of 1/48, etc.

I'll have to go through the Nikon specs a bit more.  Hopefully we get better downsampling using all of the sensor lines, etc, either here, with the T4i, or with ML some day.

Maybe at that price ML can totally replace the Canon firmware and read out from the chip?  Wishful thinking I suppose, as they are only using the SDK procedure calls.  But if we could get raw off any of these chips, and enable HDMI out on these, or just a better codec we would be fine. These chips are quite adequate, and the T3i images are already beautiful, really the same as the 7D.  

Michael

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 05:25:44 am »

With ML you can actually pre-set a near and far focus along with the focus steps, so that it will stop exactly on a mark short of infinity.
Sure ? or are you just quoting what it claims to do ?

When the first of the all electronic FF units were being developed and released for the 5Dii, it was discovered that the focus servo system was effectively a relative system, it didn't specify absolute values. See http://www.okii.net/Articles.asp?ID=238
One friend bought one of the first ones available and was very excited in anticipation of it, it was on eBay two weeks after delivery. Useless for serious work.

So with respect to adding similar functionality to Canon cameras via ML it might be a nice gimmick, that might work in some situations and it's always nice if it's free, but not really be to be trusted.

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 05:29:40 am »

Fair point about it being similiar to a T2i

I guess it just interests me more because of my nikkor lenses

S
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

JonathanRimmel

• jonathanrimmel.com
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 10:17:31 am »

This announcement declares that the D400 will still be the same 24MPx sensor, IMHO, with better side elements to justify the professional taste.
Nice camera BTW :)

I sure hope they won't make the D400 24Mp. Unless they can do that without any compromise!

This is what I want to see in the D400:

16Mp DX sensor
7-8fps (w/o grip & 9-10 w/grip)
Viewfinder 100%
1 stop + Better noise performance than D800
Same body as D800
Max ISO of 51200 (extended is fine)
Same AF or better than D4
Same or better metering system as D4
2 CF card slots
Same video capabilities as D4
Price <$2000.00

BJL

Re: NIkon D3200 => D300 successor will be 24MP
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 12:22:19 pm »

I sure hope they won't make the D400 24Mp. Unless they can do that without any compromise!
With the entry level D3xxx series moving to a new 24MP sensor, two things are almost certain:

1. Future higher level Nikon models will also by 24MP or more, except ones intended specifically for very high frame rates like the D4.

2. In situations where one prefers less than 24MP, say 16MP, for the sake of less per pixel noise, downsampling from 24MP will do that just fine. (There are other options too, like applying suitable NR, another way to convert "surplus" resolution into lower noise.)

The ability to choose between less noise and more resolution by downsampling is the reason why designing multiple new sensors of higher and lower resolution in the same format makes almost no sense now, with the main exceptions being that high frame rate scenario and possible cost savings for lower level models. Especially with the latest Sony/Nikon sensors, where visible noise in the final displayed images is almost always dominated by photon shot noise rather than read noise from the camera's electronics. In the approximation of noise being solely from shot noise, downsamplng will exactly reproduce the per pixel noise levels of getting the same final pixel count from fewer photosites.

P. S. Not to say that I necessarily agree with the priorities of Sony and Nikon making the new generation of 24x16mm sensors 24MP and relegating the previous generation 16MP offerings to lower level and older models; just noting that this is what they seem to have decided to do, for better or for worse.

P. P. S. 24MP probably fits better with the  new emphasis on video at 1920x1080, because the 6000x4000 pixel count allows 3:1 down-sampling and/or sub-sampling in each direction. DSLRs with lower pixel counts seem to produce 1920x1080 HD video with less than the implied resolution, because they must first use something like 3:1 down-sampling/sub-sampling to some lower resolution level and then up-sample to 1920x1080.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 12:38:38 pm by BJL »

mmurph

• http://
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 12:31:46 pm »

Fair point about it being similiar to a T2i

I guess it just interests me more because of my nikkor lenses

OK, that makes sense. I wasn't sure if there was something I was missing.  

I think we are in the same place then about all of these $3,500 and $7,000 cameras.

We have the sensor we need already. It is just a matter of enabling it with readouts and downsampling, codecs, RAW, supported shooting modes, etc.  Just keep building on what exists at the $700 price point. It shouldn't be too expensive, especially if the newer processors (Digic 5 on Canon) can let them read off the sensor fast enough and write out fast enough to not line skip, etc. for good HD.

We'll have to see the details on the Nikon and the new Canon when it hits. I know folks are still trying to figure out how the D800 offloads and downsamples data.

Michael

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 01:59:05 pm »

16Mp DX sensor
Viewfinder 100%
1 stop + Better noise performance than D800
Same body as D800
Max ISO of 51200 (extended is fine)
Same AF or better than D4
Same or better metering system as D4
2 CF card slots
Same video capabilities as D4
Price <$2000.00

I guess you want a D5 for $2000 ??
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

BJL

Nikon D3200: 24MP + 12fps is possible at this price, if ...
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 04:21:31 pm »

16Mp DX sensor
Price <$2000.00
Jonathan,
    Another thing I just noticed: the Sony A-77 has a 24MP sensor and offers 12fps, with AF done for every frame not just once before the burst as is the case in many DSLR high frame rate modes. And it does this for well under your target of $2000.

So perhaps I should take back my qualification about frame rate as a reason for keeping pixel count below 24MP. It seems instead that these days, the flipping mirror is the more important obstacle, allowing the A77 with its non-moving mirror to offer better faster burst rates than that about match or exceed the top of the line Canon and Nikon DSLRs.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 10:30:04 am by BJL »

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2012, 01:31:41 pm »

There was “A first look” article in the Washington Post about the D3200 that published on 4-19. http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/nikon-d3200-a-first-look/2012/04/19/gIQAvUGqST_story.html

With so much attention on the D800 series recently, this looks like a notably elevated “entry level” DSLR at a heck of a price point.

JonathanRimmel

• jonathanrimmel.com
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 01:51:03 pm »

I guess you want a D5 for $2000 ??

Well I wouldn't say that. I think my request are more than doable for a D400. It is more a matter of will they go 16Mp or 24? Will it have a slow burst rate or not?
Pages: [1]   Go Up