Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting a Histogram Out of PS/ACR  (Read 4134 times)

albedo13

Getting a Histogram Out of PS/ACR
« on: April 18, 2012, 10:45:44 pm »

I am trying to write a document and would like to be able to show some histogram examples.  I am working in ACR and PS, in both CS5 and CS6.  I have tried doing a print screen of the histogram you get in both ACR and PS, but by the time you crop it out and enlarge it, the quality is just too low to look any good pasted into a Word document.  Is there some way to generate a histogram that is bigger on the screen so you can use the print screen option, or is there some magical technique for actually either exporting an image of the histogram or even better a way to export the data leading to the histogram so you can then plot it in Excel or something similar?  Thanks for any help/insight you can offer,

Jim

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: Getting a Histogram Out of PS/ACR
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 12:30:28 am »

Uh, well, no. The screenshot of a histogram is what it is...there are techniques for maximizing the result of a screenshot though. When you open the screenshot, you'll want to resize (without resampling) for a 144PPI resolution. That will set the size (dimensions) of the screenshot reproduction. Then go into Image Size again and do a resample up 200% but use Nearest Neighbor for the resampling (that's to keep the image sharp). Once you do that, you can reset the image size resolution to 288PPI and place the screenshot at 100% in your document.

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 12:43:20 am »

Unfortunately the histogram tab is one of the few you can not resize vertically, it's a fixed box.

Redcrown

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 12:45:41 am »

Check out a free plugin called "Wide Histogram" from the company Reindeer Graphics. It produces a "sizeable" histogram, plus it will export the data so you can plot and graph it in other programs like Excel.

Unfortunately, I just checked their website and they say "under construction" and the links to the plugin are dead. However, if you Google "Reindeer Wide Histogram" it appears the plugin is hosted on some other sites.

Good Luck.

Redcrown

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 01:42:13 am »

OK, got Wide Histogram ported to my Win7/CS5 machine. Turns out it won't run in 64bit CS5, but works OK in the 32bit CS5.

Here's a screen capture of Excel making a huge display. Of course in Excel you can fancy up the graph any way you want. This is just the default.

Link to original: http://kellyphoto.smugmug.com/photos/i-vxPF8fn/0/O/i-vxPF8fn.jpg

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 04:08:35 am »

I am trying to write a document and would like to be able to show some histogram examples.  I am working in ACR and PS, in both CS5 and CS6.  I have tried doing a print screen of the histogram you get in both ACR and PS, but by the time you crop it out and enlarge it, the quality is just too low to look any good pasted into a Word document.  Is there some way to generate a histogram that is bigger on the screen so you can use the print screen option, or is there some magical technique for actually either exporting an image of the histogram or even better a way to export the data leading to the histogram so you can then plot it in Excel or something similar?  Thanks for any help/insight you can offer.

Hi Jim,

As an alternative to the Reindeer histogram plugin, you can also use ImageJ. It's a free Java utility with huge capabilities for image analysis and manipulation. It's histogram function can also export the data for further processing in Excel or similar programs. You can also set the number of bins to other values than 256, especially useful for 16-bit per channel (or 32-b/ch)images. In addition ImageJ offers different charts like 3D RGB (or other color model) distributions or surface plots if that's a more useful way of presenting the data.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

albedo13

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 07:27:14 pm »

Thanks for the responses everybody, I will try the ImageJ and the Wide Histogram and see if I can make it work.  Just for curiosity sake, does anybody know if Lightroom has the ability to export histograms or histogram data directly?

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 11:31:15 pm »

Just for curiosity sake, does anybody know if Lightroom has the ability to export histograms or histogram data directly?

No...

bjanes

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2012, 11:53:18 pm »

I am trying to write a document and would like to be able to show some histogram examples.  I am working in ACR and PS, in both CS5 and CS6.  I have tried doing a print screen of the histogram you get in both ACR and PS, but by the time you crop it out and enlarge it, the quality is just too low to look any good pasted into a Word document.  Is there some way to generate a histogram that is bigger on the screen so you can use the print screen option, or is there some magical technique for actually either exporting an image of the histogram or even better a way to export the data leading to the histogram so you can then plot it in Excel or something similar?  Thanks for any help/insight you can offer,

Jim

Histogrammar can do very detailed histograms with either a log or linear scale and the x-axis is fully scalable.

Regards,

Bill

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 01:26:40 am »

Histogrammar can do very detailed histograms with either a log or linear scale and the x-axis is fully scalable.

Regards,

Bill

rawdigger is better nowadays = www.rawdigger.com

mouse

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 04:07:05 pm »

rawdigger is better nowadays = www.rawdigger.com

Not convinced that it is better.  But at least it runs without the need to reset the system date on your computer.

Guillermo, an update, please!

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 05:50:04 pm »

Not convinced that it is better. 

what it is lacking in your opinion ?

mouse

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 07:04:14 pm »

what it is lacking in your opinion ?

Didn't mean to suggest that it was lacking anything.  In fact it has a few more bells & whistles than Histogrammar.  Just accustomed to the old software and eagerly awaiting an update by GL.
Pages: [1]   Go Up