Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lyve Canvas, Canon Matte Black and BC Timeless problems  (Read 1465 times)

mcpix

• Macframes
Lyve Canvas, Canon Matte Black and BC Timeless problems
« on: April 18, 2012, 08:17:35 pm »

I have a Canon ipf 8300 that I've been really happy with. I don't print a lot of canvas, but when I do, I've been using BC Lyve and hand coating it with Timeless varnish. So far this has worked very well.The one problem I've had is when a print has a very large area of black. At Christmas I printed a canvas that was basically a 20x30 black square. There were a couple of people in the photo, but most of the print was solid black. I printed this photo and let it set for about 3 days. When I started to roll on the timeless, the matte black began to come up on my roller and some was transferred onto the lighter areas of the print. I re-printed this photo 3 times and the first 2 times the same thing happened. As my customer was getting anxious for their print, I finally used Print Shield on the 3rd canvas and that worked fine.

Recently I printed another canvas of a forest with large areas of black. Again, I let the print set for about 3 days. Although this print wasn't as difficult, there were still a few flecks of black in some light areas, so that I had to print it a second time. The second time I printed it, I decided that I would only do minimal rolling of the timeless, as I think the black sometimes gets picked up as the varnish is getting tacky. This seemed to work fine, and I think I'll use this procedure in the future with similar prints.

It doesn't happen on all prints with dark black areas. It only seems to be those prints with very large dark black areas.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any other suggestions (other than spraying the varnish)?

Thanks!

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
Re: Lyve Canvas, Canon Matte Black and BC Timeless problems
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 06:38:45 am »

Other then spraying with varnish. :) That is probably the fix.
The blacks can be troublesome. Although 3 days should be enough drying time.
The new Epson glossy canvases have similar issues and just do not take well to rolled varnishes.
Never heard of this with Lyve and rolled Timeless. I print a fair amount of Lyve with a good bit of black with no issues. But then I spray.
Did you call BC?

mcpix

• Macframes
Re: Lyve Canvas, Canon Matte Black and BC Timeless problems
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 10:14:37 am »

I contacted BC at Christmas when I was having problems with the first print. They said that they hadn't run into that problem on their 8300.

Canon provides a media configuration tool that allows you to check and set all the parameters for any particular media, including amount of ink used.
I used the am1 media configuration settings that BC provided, and I've wondered if maybe it's too much ink for these types of prints. I've thought about creating my own "large black areas" media configuration for use in these situations.

Pages: [1]   Go Up