Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why Sony will never be a professional's choice (at least here in Russia)  (Read 2687 times)

ripgriffith

• ripsart.com

Conventional wisdom has it, that when you buy a digital camera for any kind of serious shooting, you buy at least one additional battery.  So, when I bought my Sony a65 from a local photography dealer here in St. Petersburg, (Russia's second largest city, with a population somewhere north of 4 million), and asked for a second battery, I was informed that they didn't carry the actual Sony batteries, only some "analog" batteries, i.e., cheap knock-offs from China (I've tried these; fine for a couple of days, then they no longer charge beyond 15-20%, plus they can get stuck in the camera, according to several sources).  This was also the case at every other camera store I checked.  No one sold actual Sony batteries for my camera.

I then proceeded to call the Sony service center to see if they had the batteries available.  Yes, they replied, there is one Sony Center here with one battery, and when that one is gone, they will have to order another from Moscow, which will take from three to four weeks, if they have it.  Otherwise, it will have to be ordered from Europe, which will take six to eight weeks.  In any event, the batteries cost approx. $90 US Dollars at the current rate of exchange (as opposed to $47 at B&H in New York). Fortunately for me, I know someone coming to Russia from NY in the near future and they are bringing a couple of batteries for me.

So I have to ask, whither Sony?  I love the Sony SLT cameras and, coupled with good glass (an absolute requirement), it is a delight to shoot with.  I love the technology but, at least here in Russia, Sony is a third-rate company in terms of its concept of professionalism.  Just my 2 kopeks worth.

K.C.

Sony is a third-rate company in terms of its concept of professionalism.  Just my 2 kopeks worth.

SONY corporation can't make the dealers in your country, or any other, for that matter, carry their products or accessories to their products.

They can't prevent a search on amazon.com from bringing up the Chinese batteries first either, but that's what happens.

Get angry, get over it and then go shoot with your SONY. It's a great camera.

OldRoy

• http://

Having bought quite a few 3rd party batteries for Nikon cameras and found them indistinguishable from originals, I see no reason why Sony-type 3rd party batteries would be any different. And if you're so worried about this, why not just buy originals off a web supplier, or Amazon, and get them posted to you? Or isn't Russia's postal system to be trusted?
Roy

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website

When I was working in Moscow (mid-nineties), there were mailing stores (similar to UPS stores and Mail Boxes Etc. in the USA) that would provide you with a mailing address in the USA (perhaps also Britain or other) so that you can have things shipped there and then they would deliver it to you in Moscow. That also meant the benefit of local rates for my magazine subscriptions.
Pages: [1]   Go Up