Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Michael's NEX-7 6K image report  (Read 4067 times)

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
Michael's NEX-7 6K image report
« on: April 17, 2012, 10:38:04 am »

While I generally agree with Michael's viewpoint and I must say his reporting on this camera was the major reason I bought one, the item I would most like to see on the NEX-7 is a non-CPU lens menu choice, like Nikon's, where one could enter lens data. I shoot with Leica and Nikon adapters and it is very frustrating trying to remember which lens I used for which shot as I change lenses frequently. I have mostly gotten used to the weird menu system and as Michael related, once everything is set to your satisfaction about the only reason I have to go into the menus is to format the card.
All in all, kudos to Michael on a job well done.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 01:19:50 pm by JohnBrew »

MatthewCromer

Re: Michael's NEX-7 6K image report
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 12:12:32 pm »

Michael,

What are your contrast and JPEG "style" settings for the NEX?

Do you have contrast set to the minimum possible?  This makes an enormous difference in the amount of shadow detail you can see in the EVF.

Seth Honeyman

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 01:31:20 pm »

My opinion of the Nex-7 changed completely after I bought the 18-200.  I originally bought the camera to use as - in effect - a second body for my Leica M lenses.  I found the camera extremely frustrating when used with manual lenses. Focus was difficult and operating the various controls slow and kludgey.  With its own lenses, the camera became responsive and produced excellent results. I'd be interested in seeing whether Michael or others had reasonable success with Leica or other lenses which require adapters.

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 03:18:18 pm »

Seth, all my lenses are manual focus (Leica, Nikon). There was a small learning curve using the focus peaking feature but if that creates a problem you can always zoom in using either the EVF or LCD and confirm. I realize some are getting nice images with the Sony zoom lenses but zooms carry no appeal for me.

Faintandfuzzy

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 04:47:37 pm »

Very nice summary.  I just wish he'd get the aspect ratio of these cameras right.  While he may produce a 20x24 print, in reality, it's a crop of a 20x30 print.  Stating 20x24 simply makes it sound smaller than it really is.  Minor quibble I know.  But he has commented on other DSLRs having different aspect ratios when in fact they were identical 3:2 ratios.

michael

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 05:48:07 pm »

Very nice summary.  I just wish he'd get the aspect ratio of these cameras right.  While he may produce a 20x24 print, in reality, it's a crop of a 20x30 print.  Stating 20x24 simply makes it sound smaller than it really is.  Minor quibble I know.  But he has commented on other DSLRs having different aspect ratios when in fact they were identical 3:2 ratios.

Wow, that really is a nit.

The reality is that I use the term 20X24" generically, not specifically. It's a standard paper size, not an exact printing dimension.

I never print to an exact size, rather cropping the image to what it wants to be and then making the image as large on a given piece of paper as I want it to be.

It would be more precise if I wrote that, but would make for an awkward sentence structure, don't you think?

Michael

MatthewCromer

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 07:42:14 pm »

Michael,

What are your contrast and JPEG "style" settings for the NEX?

Do you have contrast set to the minimum possible?  This makes an enormous difference in the amount of shadow detail you can see in the EVF.

Sorry, the way I wrote this it makes it sound like this is only for JPEG shooters.

Actually, I only shoot RAW, but the JPEG-only settings like contrast etc. do make a profound difference on the way the image looks in the viewfinder, including shadow detail.

They also affect the way "peaking" works very significantly.  At least, this is the case with the Alpha 65 and 77 which have the same EVF and sensor as the NEX-7.

Worthy playing around with for sure if one wants to maximize the DR visible in the EVF / LCD.

JohnNewman

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 05:49:24 am »

Actually, I only shoot RAW, but the JPEG-only settings like contrast etc. do make a profound difference on the way the image looks in the viewfinder, including shadow detail.

They also affect the way "peaking" works very significantly.  At least, this is the case with the Alpha 65 and 77 which have the same EVF and sensor as the NEX-7.

Worthy playing around with for sure if one wants to maximize the DR visible in the EVF / LCD.

Your comments above are very interesting.  I hadn't realised that these settings actually affect the EVF.  I (for one) would be pleased if you could tell us what settings you recommend to get the best out of the EVF/LCD.

MatthewCromer

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 11:46:05 am »

Your comments above are very interesting.  I hadn't realised that these settings actually affect the EVF.  I (for one) would be pleased if you could tell us what settings you recommend to get the best out of the EVF/LCD.

On my Alpha 65, I have creative style "neutral" and set contrast to -3 for most photography.  This allows me to see into the shadows almost as well as an OVF camera.

Sometimes when I need more "peaking" to show up for some MF work I bump up the contrast.  This is in addition to the "peaking" settings which also affect the amount of peaking that shows up.  Then I set it back down when I am done with whatever required more "peaking".

I don't know if the settings are exactly the same on the NEX-7 but suspect they work similarly.

MatthewCromer

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 07:46:24 pm »

As an addendum, Live View Display -- Setting Effect ON must be selected.

If Live View Display -- Setting Effect Off is chosen, contrast etc. will not effect the EVF dynamic range.

Again, this is on an Alpha 65.  I expect the Alpha 77 settings are exactly the same, while there may be some difference with the NEX 7 (which I do not own).

Faintandfuzzy

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2012, 07:24:22 pm »

Wow, that really is a nit.

The reality is that I use the term 20X24" generically, not specifically. It's a standard paper size, not an exact printing dimension.

I never print to an exact size, rather cropping the image to what it wants to be and then making the image as large on a given piece of paper as I want it to be.

It would be more precise if I wrote that, but would make for an awkward sentence structure, don't you think?

Michael

Hey, I said I was being picky ;-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up