Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Camera Clubs  (Read 23098 times)

John R

Re: Camera Clubs
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2012, 05:58:35 pm »

The Camera clubs in the Toronto area are overflowing. Some have a waiting list and have placed limits on how many can join. The halls they rent can only accommodate so many people. This is due to the popularity of digital and the fact that even simple point and shoot cameras can be used. Of course many have purchased the cheaper DSLR's. And this is where most new people begin.

You have to remember they are made up of volunteers and there is a lot of work involved to do simple seminars, shows, or competitions. We have forty volunteers in my club. In my experience, the advanced set of photographers in any club (they break down into groups of beginners, intermediate and advanced), approach the pro level. Freeman Patterson, the great Canadian photographer, said as much and he came from the Toronto guild club.

I dare say, whatever faults you find in camera clubs you will find on this forum. Everyone gets disappointed when they don't win with what they think is a winning shot. I have won or placed in many competitions, yet I recognize that many other entries were as good or better than my winning shot. But in the end, you can learn a lot, have the ability to share your work with people who really care about photography, socialize and make new friends, find new places to shoot, etc. Everyone knows who the good and/or great photographers are, even if they don't win. The most enjoyable thing to me, is when people make a show with their images. Then we see not a few images, but a whole body of work, presented in a cohesive way. Even the beginners can surprise you with their shows, often being very interesting even if their images are not all great. So, give it a try.

JMR

« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 05:47:37 pm by John R »

Luc Hosten

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2012, 01:26:46 am »

Camera Cubs are great for learning, what worries me more is people who think they can learn from facebook groups and the accumulation of likes and wows. The compeditive nature of clubs did get to me after a while but I still support them. I did try to write something about the comparison between formal clubs and facebook groups - http://pixmag.ning.com/profiles/blogs/what-photography-noddy-badge-is-best.

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2012, 04:15:17 pm »

Camera Cubs are great for learning, what worries me more is people who think they can learn from facebook groups and the accumulation of likes and wows. The compeditive nature of clubs did get to me after a while but I still support them. I did try to write something about the comparison between formal clubs and facebook groups - http://pixmag.ning.com/profiles/blogs/what-photography-noddy-badge-is-best.

Hello Luc- good to read another South African here. Are you still writing articles for PIX magazine? Haven't bought the mag in ages.

John R

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2012, 06:36:56 pm »

I don't belong to Facebook, so don't know. But I have an idea of what you are talking about. If you ask me, after looking through Flicker, it is not much better. It is true that there is great emphasis on competition in clubs, but you can reduce the emphasis by focusing on other aspects of photography, such as the shows, seminars, member presentations, etc. And there is nothing else out there except workshops.

JMR

jonathan.lipkin

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2012, 10:56:30 pm »

Mac Rumors is now reporting that David Pogue has been told that Apple will produce a significant upgrade to the Mac Pro in late 2013. What this means precisely is unclear.

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/11/david-pogue-new-imacs-and-mac-pros-coming-probably-in-2013/

NancyP

Re: Mac Pro 2013
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2012, 03:22:42 pm »

Interesting. We shall see.

NancyP

Re: Camera Clubs - specialized nature CC also offers non-photo learning
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2012, 03:26:56 pm »

The St Louis area nature photographers' club alternates monthly lectures on photography technique and on the organisms and ecosystems we photograph. This is a good schedule, because the nature photographers as a group are very interested in their subjects' lives and well-being.

philbaum

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2012, 01:09:16 am »

I've belonged to the same photo club for the last 5 years.  At first there was that competition thing, but its tapered off and we don't hold competitions anymore.  Still have speakers and workshops and field trips.  I'm way ahead of where i would have been without the club.  One guy in the club holds workshops on LR, first timers as well as those adopting new versions.  Great way to learn software.  

Another guy was involved in doing photography for local theatre organization.  We're now in charge of taking promo and dress rehearsal pics for each new play.  Then we use them to decorate the lobby and have final say on which are used.  I've also held 2 shows in town for my own photographs, due to tips from club members.  

Club negatives:
a. Often the interests and technical knowledge may not be as specific as specialized knowledge available on the internet.
b. Too many club members have a "i'm here to be entertained" attitude rather than participating in running the club.

Club positives:
a. Developing what are probably life long friends.
b. A lot fewer conflicts than one encounters on internet forums
c. networking with other photographers in your town for friendship and opportunities.
d. Most people in the club are producing better photographs than they did a few years ago.  The stimulation of other photographers and their photographs is helping everyone improve.  Several people have remarked on this.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 01:13:38 am by philbaum »

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2012, 09:32:50 am »

What a great discussion.

I had a very positive experience with the camera club I was part of when living in the UK because the people there were not focussed on what equipment you have (or they have) and what the latest gadget is. They were focussed on the photographer, their vision and techniques, and the photographs, both projected and prints. They were interested in improving their work and learning from each other and the presenters (both good a bad), not comparing equipment.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

RedwoodGuy

« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2012, 11:44:27 am »

I am in a camera club, and it is a worthwhile use of time and energy. There are no generalities that can be applied, because these clubs are small, local, and will reflect the personality of whomever is in charge. That means they could run from dreadful to wonderful -- just like people!

What I like about the club is the interaction with people in the flesh, so to speak. We are social animals, and typing online doesn't really do it for everyone. A group of 20 or 30 individuals all interested in photography is a worthwhile interaction to have.

Our primary focus is on photographic critique. Everyone brings a few prints for the "wall" and they are critiqued in a positive way to enhance learning. How can that be bad? Who doesn't love to show their work? I've been a member for a couple years and it is amazing how much better everyone has become in those two years. I think much has to do with the critique process.

The club also organizes many venues for hanging work. So many in fact, it can drive you nutty trying to keep up with hangings and pickups! But, you can do as many or as few as you like.

If you have one in your area, try it out. If you don't like it, what have you lost?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up