Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does Facebook work for photographers?  (Read 48758 times)

bretedge

• Bret Edge Photography
Re: Does Facebook work for photographers?
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2012, 12:52:12 pm »

I use Facebook extensively and in my experience, it is well worth the time investment with one caveat: don't count on it generating instant revenue.  It took a good, solid year before I started seeing any kind of financial return.  It did help to increase website and blog traffic earlier than that but only at marginal levels.

I've made several print sales to folks who "like" my Facebook page.  Where it is most lucrative for me is in marketing my workshop and guiding services.  In the 2+ years I've had a FB business page I've secured at least a dozen guided/workshop clients as a direct result of my participation on my FB page. 

I've noticed a "snowball" phenomenon with FB.  The more "likes" you have, the more of them you'll get.  The more "likes" you've got, the greater your exposure.  It takes time and effort to build a following.

Here are a couple tips that have helped me to build a loyal and engaged following: Use your FB page to engage your followers.  Ask questions, interact with them, have fun and for God's sake, don't try to sell to them all the time.  Every once in a while is fine and to be expected, but if you're constantly trying to sell to them they'll split.  Stay active, but not too active.  Post new images, new blog posts, etc.  A few posts a week seems to be plenty.  A few posts each day? Too much.  Be genuine, be yourself.

I hope this is somewhat helpful.  I'm certainly no expert but I've got a decent following (over 1,600 likes) and quite a few very engaged and interactive fans.  Have fun with it!

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2012, 04:51:20 pm »

bretedge

• Bret Edge Photography
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2012, 02:23:18 pm »

Might be relevant to the discussion:

Start-up says 80% of its Facebook ad clicks came from bots

Yeah, Facebook ads are a WHOLE different story.  I used ads for a short time and quickly realized they are not worth the investment.  I don't recommend them at all. 

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2012, 05:24:02 am »

Hi All,

Many pro photogs are working the Facebook angle in the hopes of generating business but does it work? Can anyone reading this post verify that it makes a difference to their bottom line? It would be nice to get some input before venturing down that road. I don't want to get sucked into a black hole of work if it's not going to pay off.

Thanks for any help.

Bill Stevenson
www.beautifuloutdoorphotos.com

I think you have to be more specific than just "photographers". I wish that term didn't even exist because people all too often lump all kinds of photographers together even if the type of photography is very different.

To answer your question, I can imagine that a wedding photographer could benefit from FB, because people will 'like' their friends' wedding photos and spread the exposure that way. On the other hand, I don't imagine FB would be much use to a product photographer!

DHB

« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2012, 12:30:00 pm »

I hope it's OK to revive an old thread.

So how about Linkedin, or Twitter? Same thing? I have been trying to get a social media presence going on FB and LI, and LI seems to be much more legit for a commercial photographer, or business in general, for that matter. Twitter I haven't done yet.

I have had my doubts that social media would be of value to a commercial photographer, but I know some that swear by it.

David

MartinSpence

• Martin Spence Photography
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2012, 10:51:59 am »

In additon to David's metion of Twitter & LI - what about Google+?

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2012, 11:11:47 am »

Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn are useful for keeping your name out there-letting clients know what you are doing/accomplishing. Don't overestimate its value but put some time into it. Don't expect miracles-it is one small piece of a marketing strategy. Google+ is virtually all photographers and various creative professionals but overwhelmingly wanna bes. So if that is your client base go for it. To me it it is a waste of time. The only people I find there worth getting in front of are already on Facebook in much larger numbers.
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

MartinSpence

• Martin Spence Photography
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2012, 11:52:29 am »

Does G+ have any benefits for SEO? I.e. backinks ?

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2012, 02:28:42 pm »

Believe it or not, folks, but I've had more sales through Craigs List than from my web site and social media combined. You won't get full retail but it's a great outlet for your "seconds" paper or canvas prints that are 90% perfect. Local subjects work best in my experience. It also opens up the possibility of doing custom sizes for those who respond -- at full price I might add.

You can also sell un-stretched canvas and unframed and un-matted paper prints there.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 02:30:36 pm by louoates »

pwbrian

« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2012, 05:42:44 pm »

There's a lot of companies using FB to market these days.  There's also a few apps out there designed to get more out of your presence there.  The idea is based around posting content and having it shared.  I think the marketing term is impression.  The average user has 250 friends (well internet friends  ;) )  So if you have 250 friends and you post an image, they'll see it in their news feed.  If they like it, their 250 friends see it as well.  If they share it, same thing.  So one post could have ridiculous amount of impressions (in theroy).  The hope is that via a post, likes and sharing you end up with a message "Hey, saw your pic on FB and would like to to shoot ___ for me."  Lots of marketing as starting to show up regarding this idea.  It can work well for branding but I'm not sure about lead generation. 

SecondFocus

• SecondFocus
« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2012, 12:04:07 am »

Where people fail to get the point with social media is when they compare it to advertising. It is not advertising, that is why it is called social media.

The best form of creating business has always been socially interacting person to person within your physical environment. Going to parties and meeting people, playing golf, groups like Rotary and such. If you are a fashion shooter, you have to be in a fashion capital and drink, eat and make merry with fashion people.

The next step past that is social media. Create, build and interact within that social group is not unlike your physical face to face social groups. You make friends and learn about them, they learn about you. You build those relationships. That is the way it works.

Treat social media like advertising and you are probably wasting you time. Putting up banners, looking for click thru's or impressions is not going to be any different than putting a business card size ad in the "yellow pages".

I am not trying to sell anyone on this, I am not going to run seminars, sell books or anything else. I am only telling you my experience. And it has worked for me.
Ian L. Sitren
[url=http://SecondFocus.co

Sareesh Sudhakaran

• The Indie Farm
« Reply #51 on: December 31, 2012, 09:48:33 am »

Does G+ have any benefits for SEO? I.e. backinks ?

Google+ has authorship, if you're running a blog or guest posting. You can also create hangouts of a group of people - even conduct a training session or webinar if you want.

Backlinks? In my experience I would say Facebook is numero uno for social networking. Twitter is good, but not that serious. Linkedin is great for more professional services. Pinterest is something every photographer should be looking at pronto.

G+ I would put last. There are active users, but with the others it's easier, if you know what I mean. My blog is a couple of months old, but it has presence in all of these social media (except Linkedin). You can check it out to see for yourself.

The big problem with Google is that they are always changing. Has anyone noticed how the new google search works as of today?
Get the Free Comprehensive Guide to Rigging ANY Camera - one guide to rig them all - DSLRs to the Arri Alexa.

dhancock

« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2013, 09:41:28 pm »

I think it helps, which is why I personally use it. It can increase the number and loyalty of your customers, as it is a easy way for them to keep up with your business. Just don't make it seem like a cheesy sales gimik.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2013, 10:08:18 am »

There has never been a better example of quantity not translating into quality.

Amen!
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up