So I must ask... of everyone who has replied, other than myself, has anyone themselves actually made an effort to use Facebook for some level of marketing?
Yes I did and much of my posting was based on that experience and the experience of others that I know have also tried in other business areas. My overall conclusions are -
1. Its a lot of work for little reward, constant attention and updating is required.
2. You have to be a Facebook sort of person to have any enthusiasm for getting involved.
3. It probably works better in some countries than others.
4. Petty gossip does not automatically translate into lead generation.
5. You are not always in control of how your business is presented.
6. It maybe free but you pay for what you get.
7. The web is the worst place for displaying your work as you have no idea how it is being viewed.
8. As No 7 but FB allows even less control over viewing conditions. Any background so long as its white!
9. FB are using you as much as you are using them.
10. Having FB as your only or main web presence can deter the more discerning customer.
I have come across one or two people who claim to have successfully marketed on FB but have yet to see any figures from anyone demonstrating that it is actually the marvel that many people believe. That's not to say it's not without it's uses but it's not a panacea, you really have to be focussed on using it to gain any advantage.