Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: i1Profiler how to make low patch count targets for CD's?  (Read 3452 times)

smilem

• Color Management Services
i1Profiler how to make low patch count targets for CD's?
« on: April 15, 2012, 05:52:51 pm »

Hi, I wonder since targets generated in PM5 or other software can't be optimized using i1Profiler how can i make i1 Profiler generate say 240 patch target?

I can't get lower than 400 patches ant that is too much to my taste, I'm going to use them on CD's DVD's etc.
I there some ini file or registry hack to make this work?

I plan to generate another optimization target once I read those 240 patches. I would like to say that i1 Match allowed very little patches (I know that was like too little) to generate targets i1easy target. But 400 minimum is crazy. Image if you had to make a profile for a sublimation printing on a tea mug / cup.

aaronchan

Re: i1Profiler how to make low patch count targets for CD's?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 11:21:35 pm »

You can use colorport to hand make a target to fit on a cd
But i think you will end up a hand spot measurement workflow to finish the task.

aaron

smilem

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 06:12:18 am »

Since when colorport can generate a target?
Colorport 2.0 that I use can import target patches (generated elsewhere) and then allows you to input custom target size.

AFAIK colorport can't generate targets. Only PM5 and i1Profiler can, but PM5 targets can't be optimized with i1Profiler, and i1Profiler does not allow generating target with say 240, 300 patches.

Previously I generated target using PM5 420 patches but that did not make profiles very good, so I would like to try optimizing them because making even bigger targets for such media is nonsense.

smilem

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 07:51:06 am »

Colorport can make 343patch target but is it optimizable in i1profiler?

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 09:53:50 am »

Since when colorport can generate a target?

Since day one I believe.

You can import a text file to define the colors you wish. Or you can just let it’s engine generate patches you define, save as a TIFF  (and the reference file of course). I’ve built all kinds of custom targets in ColorPort. Click Patch Set, New (at the bottom), you get this dialog:

You could simply type the values into each field or save off a ColorList from ColorThink or similar utility that defines the values for the patches.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

smilem

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 12:06:52 pm »

Perhaps it's just a language difference, sorry my native language is obviously not English.

But Import and generate from scratch is two different things. I'm not talking about making tif files here.
Colorport can't generate any targets, if you do not have values for it. As such it can't generate them.
For comparison I can generate target in photoshop if I have values by hand. Any shape too :)

But my problem is obviously i1Profiler (with advanced target generation blah blah) yes new algorithm is cool but if it does not allow to make lower 240 patch etc. Targets. Perhaps anyone knows why? Is it a bug, like minimum target size or there is necessity so that less than 400 patches is not allowed?

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 12:39:20 pm »

But Import and generate from scratch is two different things. I'm not talking about making tif files here.
Colorport can't generate any targets, if you do not have values for it. As such it can't generate them.
For comparison I can generate target in photoshop if I have values by hand. Any shape too :)

The generation is both a reference file and a TIFF (you need both). ColorPort can do both. You can have it generate a number of patches itself or you can supply reference values and have it do so as well. That is all a profile target is.

But my problem is obviously i1Profiler (with advanced target generation blah blah) yes new algorithm is cool but if it does not allow to make lower 240 patch etc. Targets. Perhaps anyone knows why? Is it a bug, like minimum target size or there is necessity so that less than 400 patches is not allowed?

Because that is too few patches for one. It isn’t a bug. If you really, really want 100 patches, you’ll have to go ColorMunki route that demands a two step process to make an adequate profile with that few number of patches. I1Profile isn’t going to let you do this because the workflow isn’t one that forces an optimization like ColorMunki.

smilem

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 01:13:02 pm »

I do know that from time to time it happens that my English so bad at explaining for what I am looking for that it takes multiple posts. Sorry for that.

Perhaps I should say create not generate then? Colorport can generate TIFF and reference from data you input by importing file or type values by hand.

But Colorport can't create anything if you do not have any data. There is no patch number input box, no generate button, it needs some data to make TIFF file and reference. So by any means colorport is not a workaround i1profiler to make targets with fewer patches. PM5 engine is too old :(

The colormunki doesn't work with EyeOne spectro does it? And there is no reason why i1Profile would not allow to make like 200 patches because PM5 allows to make as few as 8 patches, if the user is smart enough nobody is going to be using 8 patches to build profiles.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 01:48:09 pm »

Colorport can generate TIFF and reference from data you input by importing file or type values by hand.

Correct. But that can be any reference from another product! It could be a reference file from ProfileMaker Pro!

But Colorport can't create anything if you do not have any data.

Can anything?

So by any means colorport is not a workaround i1profiler to make targets with fewer patches. PM5 engine is too old :(

Nothing is a workaround for i1Profiler in terms of it’s profile generation engine. It is unique. So was PMP’s. ProfileMaker Pro like ColorPort could accept a txt file to create targets. But when you asked it (or i1P) for 900 patches, it decides what to build. You have no control over that. You can only control the number of patches (and size etc).

The colormunki doesn't work with EyeOne spectro does it?

I don’t think that is possible. And the patches it makes are huge. But if you could get a txt file (reference data), you should be able to load it into either PMP or ColorPort. Then create a reference and a TIFF.

And there is no reason why i1Profile would not allow to make like 200 patches because PM5 allows to make as few as 8 patches, if the user is smart enough nobody is going to be using 8 patches to build profiles.

There is a difference between making a target for linearization and one for an actual profile. You could probably build an OK 8 patch target for a linearization on a well behaved device. You’d never build an output profile that was anything but pure crap. And again, if you want to export something from PMP and load that reference text file into ColorPort, you can.

TylerB

• my photography
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 04:50:43 pm »

can I assume you don't really need them this small, but only that they don't fit to print? If so, why not make them 2 "pages" (CDs) to accomidate the minimum patch count?
Tyler

Jalok

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 05:26:32 pm »

I know that's not what you have asked, but I managed to put 720 patches across 4 CD surfaces. It always gives me great overall results, good contrast and enough b/w neutrality. If anyone is interested, I uploaded the targets and the i1P .txf file to the following link:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/deya4d

smilem

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 06:01:26 pm »

Thank you, how did you manage to put so many patches without mistakes? I did make 4 CD's 100patches each my patches are larger 0.9cm x0.9cm size hexagon shaped. But 720 instead of my 400 patches you are amazing. I think you could put 1000 if you had them hexagon shaped. Did you do it by hand, or some script?

I think I will try the 400 patches I made then try to optimize with 100 or 200 (1 or 2 cd's) then if that will not work, I'll try your target.

Jalok

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2012, 10:55:18 pm »

Thank you, how did you manage to put so many patches without mistakes? I did make 4 CD's 100patches each my patches are larger 0.9cm x0.9cm size hexagon shaped. But 720 instead of my 400 patches you are amazing. I think you could put 1000 if you had them hexagon shaped. Did you do it by hand, or some script?

I think I will try the 400 patches I made then try to optimize with 100 or 200 (1 or 2 cd's) then if that will not work, I'll try your target.

I used Photoshop, guides, grid lines, stamp tool and eye dropper. Anyway, I took an hour of hard work. Hexagon-shaped patches would surely make room for more of them, it would not be possible to use guides for patch placement. Maybe it would be possible to attach a honeycomb and paint it with Fill tool. As I'm satisfied with the profiles made from those 4 CD-surface 1720-patch targets, I'm prone to leave this experimentation to you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up