Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: i1Profiler test chart generation  (Read 14140 times)

howardm

Re: i1Profiler test chart generation
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2015, 03:47:31 pm »

Hmmm.  Thank you very much but I sort of lost interest in this at step #75 and purchase approx $400-500 of additional software.

I think I'll just do the optimization step if I'm so motivated.  Really wish there was a simpler way.

But you're right.  Serious crack-smoking going on out there.

I'll take a look at using CP only or maybe in conjunction w/ PT.  CT is a bridge too far  :-\

Erland

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2015, 04:58:14 am »

You can try playing with the chart generation in i1Profilers Optimization module. I create a chart with spotcolors, and an black and white image with 30 patches, and 1300 random patches etc. Creates very good charts with a lot of neutral and near neutral patches.
Service Technician Digital Printers and Peripherals.
Epson Stylus Photo 1400.

hugowolf

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2015, 07:41:45 pm »

I have been experimenting with the profile optimization process in iProfile (iPublish). I have been comparing profiles made with 2, 4, and 6 US letter sized sheets (680 patches on each), with profiles made with fewer sheets on the first iteration, and then a page of optimization patches.

I get better profiles, more accurate and better linearization, with 2 sheets and 1 automatically generated optimization sheet, than with 4 sheets once off. With six sheets being too close to call against 2 plus 1.

It adds a day to profile creation, but saves paper and ink.

Brian

howardm

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2015, 08:17:23 am »

Thanks Brian, that's good paper-saving info :)

How many optimization patches usually get generated automatically by the s/w?  And then do you 'supplement' ?

hugowolf

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2015, 02:02:45 pm »

Thanks Brian, that's good paper-saving info :)

How many optimization patches usually get generated automatically by the s/w?  And then do you 'supplement' ?

I just let it automatically generate the all optimization patches from the profile made from the first two sheets. I have yet to try adding an image or importing specific patches, or any other combination of the three available options. A sheet will take slightly more than 680 patches, but going to 681 I lost some patches that I wanted to keep - I think some light off neutrals. It is like when you generate the initial patch set, and even though there may be room for more on the sheet, adding a few more can make a whole group of neutrals disappear.

To get 680 on one sheet, I have to reduce three of the four borders to zero in iProfiler. I loose the row identification numbers, everything else fits on. One sheet I fed was actually only 7.5 x 11, and the first row of target patches were printed almost full bleed and were only 6mm instead of 9mm, but they read ok.

This is on an 9890. which has minimum borders of 3mm top, right, and left, and a trailing edge minimum of 0.56 inches for sheets. The 9890 only does borderless for 10, 13, 16, 17, 24, 36, and 44 inches, and rolls only not sheets of any size. You might get more patches from your 3800, which you can set to print borderless, even though you are not inking to the edge. iProfiler doesn't seem to communicate to well with the printer as far as borders go.

I have only used the technique for three papers so far, all of them matte fine art: Canson Rag Photographique 310, 210, and Hahnemühle German Etching.

Brian A
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up