Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rays over Pacific Ocean  (Read 1670 times)

Matt Tilghman

• MattTilghman.com
Rays over Pacific Ocean
« on: April 15, 2012, 03:25:26 pm »

Hey guys. Here's a new photo from Russian Ridge, California.  I really like the competing drama and tranquility of the shot. I also really like how the clouds look so thick and continuous but the projection on the ocean in the distance shows how fragmented they really are.

I kinda have been forsaking foreground anchors lately. Sometimes I feel like it's hurting my recent shots but for some reason, I just don't feel like including them. Oh well, we all go through artistic whims and experimentation.  Anyways, hope you like it.

Larger Version
Check out my gallery and photoshop blog:  www.MattTilghman.com

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Re: Rays over Pacific Ocean
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 03:47:35 am »

Anyways, hope you like it.
I do.

The rays seem to be over the land rather than the ocean, but that's an observation which applies only to the title and merely emphasises my pedantry.

Jeremy

francois

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 05:47:50 am »

I like it also but I must agree with Jeremy about the rays  ;D
Francois

Michael H. Cothran

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 08:59:47 am »

It's a nice moody shot, but I'm still looking for the Pacific Ocean. ???

Isaac

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 01:08:19 pm »

It's a nice moody shot, but I'm still looking for the Pacific Ocean. ???
That would be the highlights and cloud shadows at the right-hand-side middle of the picture :-)

From Russian Ridge there'll likely be cloud ocean-side, below the ridge, preventing the coast being seen at all; or enough of the coast will be visible to see that there's fog covering the ocean; or ... but once in a while you can see the ocean blue.

Matt Tilghman

• MattTilghman.com
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 01:34:25 am »

Yep yep!  and while there are rays over the land, there are also rays over the ocean too, as evidenced by the marbled appearance.  That was my favorite part of the photo actually, so I draw emphasis there with the title. :)  Glad yall like it
Check out my gallery and photoshop blog:  www.MattTilghman.com

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 01:53:26 pm »

Matt

For my money this one of the very nicest pictures on the LL Forum right now. It is very quiet, but also intense, and for once I don't feel that I am being sledghammered by special effects, gimmicks, or overblown processing. The almost monochromatic palette is spot-on. I also love the tremendous depth in the picture, as the eye is led back through successive receding planes. Very well seen (in the right place at the right time) and very well realised.

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 03:28:50 pm »

Matt

For my money this one of the very nicest pictures on the LL Forum right now. It is very quiet, but also intense, and for once I don't feel that I am being sledghammered by special effects, gimmicks, or overblown processing. The almost monochromatic palette is spot-on. I also love the tremendous depth in the picture, as the eye is led back through successive receding planes. Very well seen (in the right place at the right time) and very well realised.

John
John said it well. I agree. Nice shot!

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)
Pages: [1]   Go Up