Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: "Master of Light"  (Read 16101 times)

Tony Jay

"Master of Light"
« on: April 15, 2012, 12:21:30 am »

Hi Michael

Just a thought occuring to me today.
I have been a member of the forum for some months - currently a full member.
At the current rate of my posting it won't be too long before I become a senior member.
However in real terms - given the weight of expertise and experience mustered by the various senior members of the site - it may actually not mean that much, apart from reflecting an accumulated number of posts.

Nonetheless many of the senior members of the forum have decades of experience and expertise (and some of other seniority as well).
Would it be feasible to give at least some of these senior members recognition apart from merely the number posts accumulated that reflects their real ability in the world of photography. I know some individuals are iconic and we know who they are (no cryptic forum names) but some provide truly valuable information without it necessarily being that obvious that they are masters of their craft.

My thought was to give them a title such as "Master of Light" rather than just merely senior member so as give their contributions on the forum added weight.

You and your team could periodically, based on the content of contributions to the forum, elect members as "Masters of Light" or some other distinguishing title.

Obviously this is an initial proposal for consideration rather than a fully polished one.

Kind Regards

Tony Jay

Tony Jay

Re: "Master of Light"
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 04:06:50 pm »

Well, so much for that idea then.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 05:19:35 pm »

Well, so much for that idea then.
Give it more than one day before you give up.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 05:22:48 pm »

The previous forum software used to have stars next to member names, and people would vote that way. Obviously, any open voting system is open to rigging as well (like multiple voting, phantom voting, etc.). A juried system would make more sense, but then again, there would be no end of complaints of favoritism, unfairness, etc. Not to mention the amount of time it would take for the moderators.  

I am not saying what you are suggesting wouldn't make sense, just that it is rather impractical. As in many other areas of life, it takes a bit of getting to know people, before you could trust their judgment.

Tony Jay

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 10:54:24 pm »

Thank you for the input.

My thought was to have a small committee chosen by Michael to make choices on a periodic basis.
IMHO the picks would need to to be respected by the LuLa community.
Also someone not picked on one occassion could easily be considered on a subsequent occassion.

Although, I think, we all feel part of the LuLa community ultimately this website is owned by Michael and others and so it would be their choice to run with the idea and if they did how to make the picks.
So, it is a suggestion and I would respect the decision if it were ultimately to be found impractical.

Kind Regards

Tony Jay

Sareesh Sudhakaran

• The Indie Farm
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 11:59:27 pm »

When I started visiting forums five years ago I felt the same too. What I've learnt however, is that it doesn't really matter if your query is answered by Ansel Adams or John Doe, as long as the answer is pertinent to your query. Sure, you would be more likely to sit up and notice a post made by the former, but the beauty of this format is that you have the option of reading all sides to a story. Sometimes even the 'dumb' responses can trigger an idea. I am mostly grateful that someone would spend the time and energy to actually reply to one of my posts, even if was just to attack me.

When I first joined Lula, I did so because of the authors' (The two that stood out are Michael and Alain) 'honesty of purpose' (my term, for lack of a better expression).

One other forum I would like to mention is the one run by Roger Deakins, the brilliant cinematographer. He takes pains to answer questions himself, and it is encouraging to know that he is human too! I applaud Michael's efforts to keep this website running, even though I sometimes feel this forum is the most vicious forum I've seen as far as the subject of photography is concerned. I haven't been able to figure out why, yet. Hopefully I'll be able to stick around long enough to get inspired and contribute something useful to it one day.
Get the Free Comprehensive Guide to Rigging ANY Camera - one guide to rig them all - DSLRs to the Arri Alexa.

Tony Jay

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 12:03:48 am »

Interesting point Sareesh.

Regards

Tony Jay

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 12:22:35 am »

Good grief, put down the keyboard, make some friends and go outside to shoot some more LOL

Tony Jay

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 03:21:57 am »

Sadly I don't get the chance to shoot as much as I would like.

I understand the sentiment though.

Tony Jay

stamper

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 03:52:04 am »

My thought was to give them a title such as "Master of Light" rather than just merely senior member so as give their contributions on the forum added weight.

Unquote

This smacks of elitism imo. Every answer should be judged on it's merits respective from who it comes from. I suspect some of the "experts" just quote others without really understanding what is being stated. Even Michael doesn't get it right all of the time. Just look at the videos with him and Jeff "sparring" with each other.

Rob C

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 04:00:00 am »

Has no-one considered that the moment some grading system is introduced, a further level of anxiety or bitterness is almost guaranteed to follow?

Here we have one or two people who can't spell, have poor grammar and are also capable of wiping the floor with most photographers whom I know. How would they be rated? Those for whom English is not their native language - how would they fare? I also see 'names' whose pictures are forever a repeat of the same shot, who have one standard lighting formula and are about as creative as my late Alsabrador. No, she was a creative big bitch, and I loved her.

Leave well enough alone; this place works!

Rob C

Tony Jay

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 05:13:10 am »

Has no-one considered that the moment some grading system is introduced, a further level of anxiety or bitterness is almost guaranteed to follow?

There is a grading system Rob - you are a senior member and I am a full member.

With respect to the issue of knowledge and ability that is what it is about - not the standard of their grammer and spelling (in English or in any other language.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Tony Jay

stamper

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 05:21:02 am »

There is a grading system Rob - you are a senior member and I am a full member.

In reality....meaningless.

Tony Jay

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 05:25:05 am »

In reality....meaningless.

Precisely the point of my original post - and why I made the proposal that I did.

Regards

Tony Jay

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 05:27:36 am »

I don't see any reason to change anything.
With the course of time you find out naturally whom to listen to in which matter and whom not, who's trolling and who's not.
If I see someone intellectualizing a lot and I have a look at his/her images and see it is trash I know how to judge.
If I see someone is able to produce good stuff the word counts different for me.
But it would maybe be good if an online representation, be it a flickr or picasa account or a personal website would be mandatory.
Not that I really want to ask for that - I'm against any form of authoritarianism (does this word exist?) - but words on a photography forum without providing a link to the images? Not really, hmm?
So you find your way around.

Tony Jay

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2012, 05:51:06 am »

Christoph you do make some good points.

However, some of the individuals whose opinions on a lot of issues I really trust never post images on any of the forums.
They don't even necessarily have a link to a website even though using Google it isn't hard to find.

It is true if one has some knowledge to begin with, and given time, one can work out whether someone is talking rubbish or not, particularly in ones early days on the forum it might be helpful.
I acknowledge that no system that "governs" an internet forum can be perfect - it is very much a "buyer beware" sort of situation.

The various contributions to this thread have been really interesting - highly intelligent members of a community voicing considered opinions.
I am interested in what Michael thinks - clearly if his opinion is that this is impractical nothing will come of it.
Overall I do think there may be some merit to my proposal.

Regards

Tony Jay

Rob C

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2012, 09:21:30 am »

Tony, I can't for the life of me see what you are hoping to gain from this grading idea. Picture quality? And who is without sin? Stars on the shoulder or chest? Makes it sound like a camera club, God forbid.

The current grading, which is hardly grading at all, is but a count of posts and implies no status beyond a lot of empty time. Would you be happier without any of it on show?

As for taking or not taking equipment advice, that's much the same as seeking critique which I avoid and discourage as detrimental to individual vision and/or growth, and there is no doubt in my mind that making one's own mistakes is the way to fly, as is respecting and trusting one's gut. It certainly was with film and I see little reason to think otherwise with digital. I'm sure I'm missing something in your reasoning, but not sure what.

Rob C

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2012, 02:43:09 pm »

If I see someone is able to produce good stuff the word counts different for me.

This sounds sensible to me.
Scott

framah

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2012, 03:51:32 pm »

Hmmm... now  that Thomas Kinkade is dead, I guess we DO need a new Master!!! ::)

"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

theguywitha645d

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2012, 12:25:40 am »

...Even Michael doesn't get it right all of the time. Just look at the videos with him and Jeff "sparring" with each other...

Maybe Jeff was wrong...
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up