Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No LR/Camera Raw Support for Fuji Xpro-1 RAW files?  (Read 7769 times)

rasterdogs

No LR/Camera Raw Support for Fuji Xpro-1 RAW files?
« on: April 14, 2012, 06:27:23 pm »

There is growing alarm on DP Review about where, oh where, is the support for the Fuji Xpro-1.
Woulda thunk it?
Anybody know if this will happen in our life time?

In the meanwhile I'm really liking my Xpro-1 and am pretty impressed with the OOC jpegs.
Being a died in the wool RAW file zealot this is the first time I've run many jpeg files through a LR workflow
and I'm not un-happy.

The Xpro-1 is supplied with SilkyPix which is supposed to be conversion software. That stuff is so funky that I'll never know. Life's too short to use software that bad. LightRoom is pure magic compared to SilkyPix as near as I've been able to tell..

-Rasterdogs

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: No LR/Camera Raw Support for Fuji Xpro-1 RAW files?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 07:05:54 pm »

Well, I don't think DP Review getting in a tizzy is worth much. Eric Chan has indicated that support is coming...they didn't have enough time to get it into the ACR 6.7CR but there's hope it might get into the final release. If not, there's a chance it'll get into ACR 7.x when CS6 ships and there should also be a DNG Converter 7.x as well. So, there's several opportunities for the camera to get support.

BTW, this is what Eric said on the ACR Forum: Because it's a new camera model with a new sensor color filter design, which will take a longer time to support.

Suggestion:  If you really want Fuji X-Pro1 support in ACR/Lr, let Fuji know directly. It is critical that they understand how important this is to their customers.

rasterdogs

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 10:02:14 pm »

Well, I don't think DP Review getting in a tizzy is worth much....snip

For sure!  That's where the sky is falling all the time.   ;D

Rasterdogs

Petrus

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 02:56:43 am »

SilkyPix is clunky, but it does actually work. Slow, though, but it gives the RAW processing possibilities I need. Not the way I want them, that's for sure. Eagerly waiting for LR 4 support...

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 11:27:07 am »

Silkypix is more than clunky, I too am eagerly looking forward to Adobe support. I did email Fujifilm and never heard anything back. The X Pro 1 is a fun camera and a lot easier to carry around than my dslr kit, when I am traveling light.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

zobeleye

• zobeleye
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 06:26:20 pm »

4.1 RC2 is out and still no support for Xpro1 ?
I now am officially pXXXed off...
stephan
mac pro 32 gb,eizoCG318,LR,nikon,fuji,Pentax645Z
http://zobeleye.com/

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 07:12:31 pm »

4.1 RC2 is out and still no support for Xpro1 ?
I now am officially pXXXed off...

Uh huh...have you let Fuji know? That's whose at fault for not working with Adobe in a timely manner.

mbaginy

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 08:02:35 am »

I just returned from my photo dealer in downtown Bonn.  Had a look at the X-pro1 and liked it very much.  I didn't buy one (yet) due to the issue of the raw files currently only being supported by SilkyPix.  I fiddled with that software some years back and it didn't please me.  After all, I enjoy LR4 and am waiting for ACR to support X-pro1 raw files.

Taking Jeff's advice, I sent FujiFilm Germany an e-mail asking, if they were aware of the schedule, when ACR will support X-pro1 raw files.  I also mentioned, that it would be great, if FujiFilm would adopt DNG as their raw format.

The response was very quick.  No comment concerning the DNG proposal.  But Mr. Torben Hondong wrote, that all necessary information was supplied to Adobe before the X-Pro1 had become available and he was not aware of Adobe's scheduling.  he suggested, I contact Adobe to inquire.

So it's a matter of pointing fingers, with us photographers having to wait.  I did like the X-pro1 quite well.  One item I noticed was, that the viewfinder didn't seem to "focus properly".  I'm aware, that my eyesight has changed a bit and that I should visit my optometrist again for new glasses, but the viewfinder image still felt wrong - too much out of focus.  My dealer hadn't that himself but did mention, that some customers had mentioned a similar effect - though the images taken were sharp.  Nice camera, nice and quiet!  I hope ACR is quickly updated to support the X-pro1 raw files, then I'll be off to my dealer to pick up one.

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 11:06:36 am »

I got the same response from Fujifilm USA, they said that they had sent the information to Adobe before the camera was released and that they were cooperating with Adobe and it was up to Adobe to add the support. So not sure where the finger should be pointed other than just having to wait.

I love the camera and sure wish it had Lightroom raw support. It is a great addition for me, something easy to carry on those days I want to go real light and not lug the dslr around. The IQ is very good.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 11:08:55 am »

So it's a matter of pointing fingers, with us photographers having to wait.  I did like the X-pro1 quite well.  One item I noticed was, that the viewfinder didn't seem to "focus properly".  I'm aware, that my eyesight has changed a bit and that I should visit my optometrist again for new glasses, but the viewfinder image still felt wrong - too much out of focus.  My dealer hadn't that himself but did mention, that some customers had mentioned a similar effect - though the images taken were sharp.  Nice camera, nice and quiet!  I hope ACR is quickly updated to support the X-pro1 raw files, then I'll be off to my dealer to pick up one.

As to the view finder, I wear glasses so it is ok for me, however there are diopters that are available, the Cosina diopters work as well as the Zeiss Ikon diopters, I have not tried them but that might be a solution.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

mbaginy

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 12:08:48 pm »

Thanks, Alan.  The information about diopters is interesting.  I'll make an appointment with my optometrist first though, knowing that my current glasses are no longer perfect.

I suppose, SilkyPix doesn't allow conversion to DNG, thus allowing import to LR4.  Guess I'll just have to wait for the next ACR update and hope, Eric Chan has had the time to complete the addition.

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 12:42:31 pm »

Hi,

Silkpix does not convert to DNG, which is too bad. It works, just the interface is clunky and it takes a lot more work to get to something that is usable. However the out of camera jpgs are quite usable for now. I am currently shooting raw+jpg and then if the image is really worth it, I will convert the raw in silkypix to something very netural with no sharpening or noise reduction and then save as tiff. You can save presets with it and batch a bunch of files. I would prefer to use the lightroom but at least I can finish editing the tiffs in Lightroom.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

mbaginy

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2012, 10:36:52 am »

Hi Alan,

I knew I do it.  And three hours ago I did - picked up an X-pro 1 with 35mm lens.  I'll follow your example and shoot both raw and jpeg, then save those raw files worth processing for a later date, when ACR offers raw file support.  Eric, please hurry! ;-)

My dealer threw in a spare battery which was still half charged so I immediately took a walk to try out the camera.  Who reads instructions?!!  I'll do that upon my return, later this evening.  Want to watch Ronnie play Neil right now (snooker).

Mike

mbaginy

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2012, 01:22:26 pm »

The ACR crew have done it.  Raw support for the X-Pro 1 is now available with the LR4.1 update.

I had collected some 1,700 raw files over the past four weeks which I have now imported and have begun adjusting in LR4.  The images are better than the in-camera jpegs I'd been importing and adjusting.  No real surprise about that - but the Fujifilm jpegs are still some of the best I've ever seen straight out of a camera.

But my X-Pro 1 will be mailed to the winner of an ebay auction later this week.  During the four weeks I found a number of features and oddities with which I knew I wouldn't be happy over time.  Unless something new and terrific is introduced within the next year or so, I'll get a Leica M9.  I wish the current Leica lens lineup included a 40mm lens.  35 is often a tad too wide and 50mm a bit too long for my taste.

CatOne

• http://blloyd.smugmug.com
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2012, 10:29:28 am »

I wish the current Leica lens lineup included a 40mm lens.  35 is often a tad too wide and 50mm a bit too long for my taste.

There are a lot of pixels in the M9.  Cropping a 35 to a 40 is easy.  I do it all the time... especially with the framing accuracy of the rangefinder  ;)

mbaginy

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2012, 12:09:49 pm »

Absolutely true, Bill.  And to be truthful, I enjoyed my 35/2 on my M6 very much - especially bokeh was beautiful.  With my M3 (many, many moons ago) I adored my dual range 50/2.  I also enjoyed using the M7 with 50/1.4 as well as the Minolta CLE with the excellent 40mm lens.  My all-time favorite combination was the M3 with dual range 50 (despite the external Gossen Lunasix meter).  Mainly, the 75mm, 90mm, 135mm and 21mm lenses stayed off the cameras.  I wish today, that I hadn't sold my analog gear some years ago.

I guess I've kept to my style from those ancient analog days.  I tend to frame the shot "properly" from the onset.  I recall my experiences with the TLR Rolleiflex where the square 2-1/4" negative could be cropped in various formats.  It seemed, that I almost always stuck to my square composition!  And even today, with my Canon 5D, I like to frame without having to crop afterwards.  I guess it's just a habit I've acquired and it somehow seems wrong intending to crop in Lightroom.  I do crop at times but never like some guys I know who couldn't produce a decent picture without their software crop tool.

I've been toying with the idea of acquiring another dual-stroke M3 with 50/2 lens.  German ebay prices though have gone nuts in recent months!  But my dealer always has nice gear on hand and lets me test drive whatever gear sparks my interest.  Need to visit him again.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2012, 12:44:18 pm »

Why not the 40mm Voigtlander M-mount?

mbaginy

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2012, 01:06:23 pm »

Doug, thanks for that tip!  To be truthful, I hadn't given Voigtländer a thought at all.  Just looked at their website for an idea what lenses they offer.  The price is right and the lenses probably more readily available than the gems from Solms.  I need to visit my dealer soon.

ario

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2012, 01:26:28 pm »

You may also consider the Summicron 40c or the Minolta version of ther same, possibly the CLE edition which has got a better coating.
They are all very good performers on M8 and M9
Ario

mbaginy

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2012, 12:47:14 am »

Thanks Ario.  Yes, the 40mm from Minolta was an excellent performer!  I had one on my CLE which I sold a while back.  Never owner the Leica version.  Need to give this some thought.
Pages: [1]   Go Up