Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Soft Proof side-by-side comparison  (Read 2202 times)

rdegaris

Soft Proof side-by-side comparison
« on: April 14, 2012, 02:58:16 pm »

Hi all,

I have an imported image and I make adjustments to it, such that it looks obviously different from the default.  I then select soft proof and check the Simulate paper & ink box.  I then click on the side-by-side comparison icon.  This is just how it is presented in the Lightroom 4 tutorial.  But what I am presented with is the soft proof image on the right and the default image on the left, NOT the pre-soft-proof-adjusted image.  I discovered that I have to create a virtual copy, first, in order to have the adjusted image on the left and the soft-proofed copy on the right.  This is not the procedure given in the tutorial and Jeff Schewe even admitted to preferring a Snapshot over a virtual copy.  So my question is, is my observation about requiring a virtual copy for side-by-side before and after soft-proof comparison correct?  How do I achieve this without first making a virtual copy?

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: Soft Proof side-by-side comparison
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 04:24:28 pm »

When you click on the Before/After, it always defaults to the Saved State on the left and the Current Image on the right. That's normal Before/After behavior. Once you make a Proof Copy VC, then you can have the Before be either the Master Photo (with all adjustments made prior to the creation of the VC) or the Saved State and the VC will be on the right.

aduke

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 04:35:24 pm »

Jeff, on my system, the default is always Master Copy. I can then select proper compare copy if master is not correct. I've also found that there are several cases where Master Copy is not correct. One is where the copy that is the base of the soft proof work is a virtual copy.

Alan

Schewe

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 04:37:57 pm »

Jeff, on my system, the default is always Master Copy.

Yes, if you have soft proofing turned on and are working on the VC. If you are looking at the master by itself in a Before/After without soft proofing then the default is Saved State...

rdegaris

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 04:53:42 pm »

When you click on the Before/After, it always defaults to the Saved State on the left
Thanks, Jeff, that confirms what I have been observing.  But what is a saved state - sorry for being dense?  Is it something I can establish in the history, as a snapshot; or is it a moniker for the default state post import?

Schewe

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 06:15:42 pm »

Saved State is simply where the image was at before you went into the most recent Develop session...if you right click on a history step you can add that step to the "Before" state...

aduke

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 06:19:10 pm »

The saved state is part of the state of the image. During import, it seems to be set to the state of the edit controls just after default processing, that is, if you've set import default development settings, the state after it has done that processing.

You can change the saved state during your development by selecting side-by-side and using the before/after controls available next to the side-by-side control.

It appears to me that there is one saved state for an image and all of its virtual copies. After this discussion, my new work-flow for side-by-side, will be to enter the develop module, select side-by-side, set the saved-state to the current state of the image, then make the necessary edit changes. If continuing on to soft-proof, I will again set the saved state to the current state, and turn on soft proofing. If I come back later to the master image or this or any other virtual copy, outside of soft proof, I will go through the steps to set the saved-state because it may not be apparent which copy the saved state corresponds to. There are lots of permutations possible, most of them are bad news.

Alan

aduke

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 06:22:15 pm »

Saved State is simply where the image was at before you went into the most recent Develop session...if you right click on a history step you can add that step to the "Before" state...

Thanks Jeff, that helps some. It does seem to me that each virtual copy should have its own saved state.

Alan

rdegaris

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 06:30:31 pm »

Very interesting, thanks Jeff!

Schewe

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, 06:57:17 pm »

You can change the saved state during your development by selecting side-by-side and using the before/after controls available next to the side-by-side control.

You can swap settings around for Before/After by going to the Settings menu in Develop and use the commands; Copy After's Setting to Before, Copy Before's Settings to After or Swap Before and After Settings. Note, it'll get kinda confusing if you start changing them multiple times :~)
Pages: [1]   Go Up