Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photoshop does it again - corrupt PSD  (Read 10834 times)

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
Photoshop does it again - corrupt PSD
« on: April 14, 2012, 10:32:10 am »

After working for three hours on a composite photo from seven different images, I shut down for the night figuring I'd finish in the morning. Though most of the time I save my files as TIFFs, since this had, so far, about 13 layers, I decided to save it as a PSD. (I'd been making incrememntal saves all evening to the PSD.) This morning, I go to open the PSD (I saw the thumbnail image -- looked fine), only to have Photoshop say the PSD was not compatible with this version of Photoshop! What? I subsequently tried multiple other programs to open it, as well as a couple of PSD rescue programs and PSD to TIFF conversion programs. All the latter programs produced a black image the size of the original... and that's it.

This really makes me angry (and crazy) that Photoshop managed to corrupt it's own file. With a lot of tedious work, I can reproduce what I did (at least about 90%). Has anyone had this happen and had any success in recovering the file or some other program to export it or open and save? Thanks for the timely replies.

Nemo

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Photoshop does it again - corrupt PSD
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 11:49:41 am »

This really makes me angry (and crazy) that Photoshop managed to corrupt it's own file.

I’d check the drive you are saving to. In 22 years of using Photoshop (1.0.7 back in 1990), I think I’ve only seen happen this once. It isn’t something that Photoshop causes on it’s own in my experience.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 12:10:40 pm »

After working for three hours on a composite photo from seven different images, I shut down for the night figuring I'd finish in the morning. Though most of the time I save my files as TIFFs, since this had, so far, about 13 layers, I decided to save it as a PSD. (I'd been making incrememntal saves all evening to the PSD.) This morning, I go to open the PSD (I saw the thumbnail image -- looked fine), only to have Photoshop say the PSD was not compatible with this version of Photoshop! What? I subsequently tried multiple other programs to open it, as well as a couple of PSD rescue programs and PSD to TIFF conversion programs. All the latter programs produced a black image the size of the original... and that's it.

This really makes me angry (and crazy) that Photoshop managed to corrupt it's own file. With a lot of tedious work, I can reproduce what I did (at least about 90%). Has anyone had this happen and had any success in recovering the file or some other program to export it or open and save? Thanks for the timely replies.

Nemo

Sorry to hear.

This is why I will often save different version of my incremental saves.  Gives me a fallback.  I usually delete all but one master incremental after the project i delivered.
Craig Lamson Photo

kingscurate

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 12:48:27 pm »

Re start pc and open again? This has worked for me in the past though not with PS
I aint a pro

nemophoto

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 12:58:41 pm »

I’d check the drive you are saving to. In 22 years of using Photoshop (1.0.7 back in 1990), I think I’ve only seen happen this once. It isn’t something that Photoshop causes on it’s own in my experience.

The drive is actually a brand new (1 month) eSATA 2GB drive from G-Tech. I've usually had good experience with their drives and a checkdisk showed no problems. The file can actually be opened by other programs -- it just shows one big black frame.

nemophoto

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 01:00:24 pm »

Sorry to hear.

This is why I will often save different version of my incremental saves.  Gives me a fallback.  I usually delete all but one master incremental after the project i delivered.

Yup, that's what I should have done and toward the end I'll sometime save both a TIFF and a PSD -- but not this time. Chalk it up to fatigue.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 02:37:41 pm »

I see that CS6 has an auto backup option available, with a user specified interval.

nemophoto

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 03:34:25 pm »

CS5 also has an autosave option. But it wouldn't have made much or a difference since I was continually saving and did a last save before shutting down. If by auto backup you mean an additional copy of the file, that would be nice, especially if you could turn it on and off without restarting. Much of the time, I wouldn't need that, but for complex files, it would be nice.

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 04:06:52 pm »

CS5 also has an autosave option.

News to me. Where?
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

Farmer

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, 06:03:33 pm »

What version of PS?  What OS?  Did you save PSD for maximum compatability?
Phil Brown

Bryan Conner

• My Flickr page
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 12:31:10 am »

this is very strange.  I have been using Photoshop since version 4.0 and have never had a corrupt file as described here.  The only times that I have had problems with a file was when I inadvertently changed the file name to something incorrect:  image.pssd for example. Let us know if you finally track down the reason.

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2012, 12:58:16 am »

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2012, 04:13:38 am »

nemophoto

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2012, 09:41:20 am »

I've used Photoshop since 1992 (v. 2.5), and sadly, I've had a dozen or more corrupted files from Photoshop - both TIFF and PSD. An example, a number of years ago, (probably around version PS 4), I accidentally saved a CMYK TIFF with LZW compression. I placed it in InDesign 1.0 only to be told the file could not be opened. I tried to open it in PS and failed. I realized in thinking about my steps, that I'd saved it with LZW. And it wasn't the only one like that. So, as sad as it is, Photoshop is not always perfect saving files. Yes, you could blame it won the OS, or the hard drive, or divine intervention, but in the end, to me, it's the program writing the file, if nothing else experiences the problem.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2012, 10:43:29 am »

You've not done something like save the PSD in CS6 and then tried to open it in CS5, have you?

pfigen

• http://www.peterfigen.com
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2012, 02:15:48 pm »

Is there any chance that with all of your layers, you exceeded the psd file size limit of 2 gb? I remember that there were some people who had problems when Ps internally would estimate the file size as being less than 2 gb and let you save the file, only to end up with a file that was just over that size and become unusable. There is so little reason to using psd files at all anymore that maybe it should be a checkable option in preferences that you have to opt in to use.

Bill Koenig

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2012, 04:07:31 pm »

Did you try renaming the file? ???.PSD
Bill Koenig,
Pages: [1]   Go Up