Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Late evening symmetry  (Read 1281 times)

churly

Late evening symmetry
« on: April 14, 2012, 09:52:28 am »

Sundown over Kelly's Island and Conception Bay. I know that sunsets are a dime a dozen but I was attracted to the symmetry between the sky and the water.

Thanks for having a look.

Chuck Hurich

stpf8

• Stephen Penland Photography
Re: Late evening symmetry
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 02:36:35 pm »

I didn't notice the symmetry as much as the soft renditions of the water and the clouds (but maybe that's what you meant).  It has a very peaceful feeling.  I think the photo is overexposed.  I tried a very simple but significant global curve adjustment, and I really liked the result -- the water became more mysterious, the rocks in the lower right popped out against the darker water, and the colors became more saturated and, IMO, probably more like what you saw.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 08:01:31 pm by stpf8 »
Stephen Penland
www.stephenpenland.com

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 02:44:05 pm »

I am sure other, possibly more sinister (i.e., underexposed) interpretations are possible, but I find it rather fine as-is.

churly

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 11:40:14 am »

Stephen - I see what you mean and in fact have a version processed as you describe.  As for what the colors were really like - that's a bit hard to say - it was pretty dark and the image is a blend of 15 s and 56 s exposures.  As for the symmetry, I guess I should have said the mirror symmetry about the horizon but it doesn't really matter if it didn't catch your attention anyway.  Many thanks for the comment.  I do understand what you are getting at.
Chuck Hurich

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 09:46:00 pm »

As for what the colors were really like - that's a bit hard to say - it was pretty dark and the image is a blend of 15 s and 56 s exposures.

I was curious about exposure times -- thanks! I like the colours as is. I understand the temptation to increase drama, but your treatment works very well.
Scott
Pages: [1]   Go Up