Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A couple of simple shots  (Read 1304 times)

michswiss

A couple of simple shots
« on: April 14, 2012, 09:50:23 am »

Cafe

Bookshop

Lloyd Mayeda

Re: A couple of simple shots
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 10:23:49 am »

The shots are well done and engage the viewer ==> far from simple.  Thanks for sharing.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 11:39:18 am »

Jennifer, I like the motion in #1. Not too taken with #2. Maybe just a little too simple. Love the B&W conversion, though. Even though BD and Liz on Street & PJ don't seem to think so, those mid-tones really do matter.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 02:42:38 pm »

Jennifer, you obviously haven't forgiven me for my take on golf, which is why you ram a bookshop into my face, knowing that the only one I had access to here has folded, leaving me in an absolute cultural void.

My vengeance will be slow and deep! Well, anything I do these days is slow, so that's nothing new, and anything deep simply reflects my fear of heights. ;-(

Just joshin'

Rob C
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 02:35:21 pm by Rob C »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 02:46:19 pm »

... a bookshop... the only one I had access to here has folded, leaving me in an absolute cultural void...

What, no shopping malls in Mallorca!? ;)

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 04:27:27 am »

What, no shopping malls in Mallorca!? ;)

Yes, if you want to buy clothes, toys, handbags, suitcases, cosmetics, junk jewellery, food, contribute to AIDS charities etc.

But if you want photo-books, you're now pretty much on your own with your computer. Having been stung from the purchase of those shrink-wrapped copies that one can actually hold in the hand in a shop, buying unseen is a buy too far.

Buying by post is also a very expensive way of doing it - I sent a cousin a simple CD in its case and that cost me about six Euros from Spain to Scotland! For a CD! Imagine what you'd pay for Sumo. At around €90 off the shelf, I thought that dear enough when I bought it, my single contribution to the Newton Estate.

I also find that the best photography tomes seem to come from France or Germany, and here, unless there's a publisher's branch in the country, it get difficult/impossible on distribution grounds too. I'm sure it's different in Madrid or Barcelona, though.

(I suspect your concatenation of malls and culture-vacuums is not accidental...)

;-)

Rob C
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 04:30:00 am by Rob C »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 02:30:18 pm »

... I also find that the best photography tomes seem to come from France or Germany, and here, unless there's a publisher's branch in the country, it get difficult/impossible on distribution grounds too. I'm sure it's different in Madrid or Barcelona, though...

There is an absolutely fantastic (and exclusively photography) bookshop in Barcelona: Kowasa, with something like 11,000 titles. They have an online presence too: http://www.kowasa.com/

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 03:26:09 pm »

There is an absolutely fantastic (and exclusively photography) bookshop in Barcelona: Kowasa, with something like 11,000 titles. They have an online presence too: http://www.kowasa.com/

Thanks, Slobodan - this is also a good source of stuff, especially in Spain as Taschen has an outlet here:

http://www.taschen.com/pages/en/catalogue/photography/index.htm

This is one of the big things that I miss about living in the USA, USSR (damn these musos, they mess with my mind) - the UK:

Waterstone's. If it still exists...

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up