Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Banner Vinyl or perforarted vinyl?  (Read 2533 times)

NickCroken

Banner Vinyl or perforarted vinyl?
« on: April 13, 2012, 03:02:12 pm »

Hey Everyone,
One of my clients is a tint shop and they are looking for someone to print on banner vinyl and possibly the perforated or non perforated vinyl that sticks to the outside of cars.  The closest thing I have right now is Photo Tex ( thank for forum members for showing me the light on that one!!).  The printer I am using is an Epson 9880 (matte black ink) as I do a lot of canvas printing and some fine art paper.  Is there any vinyl out there that would be compatible with my set up?  I have tried looking online but can't find any real world experience so I am coming to the always helpful LL printing forum.  The photo tex stuff is great for short term stuff outside but doesn't have the durability of the other vinyls.

Thanks so much!
Nick

Randy Carone

Re: Banner Vinyl or perforarted vinyl?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 03:41:46 pm »

Vehicle graphics must be produced with cast vinyl that is then laminated with cast vinyl. There are vinyls that work well with pigment ink, such as your 9880, but even if laminated, the edge of the graphic will wick water and mold will grow rather quickly between the laminate and the surface of the vinyl. Unfortunately, this work should be done on a solvent or eco-solvent printer such as the Epson GS6000 or the new Epson SureColor S30.
Perforated vinyl is also usually printed with solvent printers and laminated with an optically clear laminate. If the graphic is not laminated, dirt will build up in the holes obstructing vision. Once the dirt gets in the holes it is very difficult to clean out. In addition, when it rains, vision will also be greatly reduced. It is also important to use the correct perforated hole size (50/50 vinyl to hole size) so the car will pass a light transmission test. Many law enforcement units have a light transmission tester that is also used to see if window tinting is too dark to comply with local laws. You may be able to find perforated vinyl that will print on your Epson, but be certain to laminate with an optically clear laminate that has a clear film release liner rather than a paper liner. Only a clear film liner will result in optically clear adhesive when it is applied to the perforated vinyl. Using a laminate with a paper liner will result in 'orange peel' adhesive that will not allow the driver to see out the back window due to the distorted adhesive that never smooths out after application.
I hope this makes sense. If you need additional information, send me an email or PM me through this forum.
Randy Carone

NickCroken

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 03:47:10 pm »

Well, it sounds like that isn't really an option for me then.  I kind of figured that the vinyl printers were solvent based :(.  Have you had any experience printing on normal banner vinyl with aqueous inks like the ones in my 9880?  The reason I am posting this here instead of emailing is in the hopes that it might help someone else down the road!

Randy Carone

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 04:21:59 pm »

Sorry I neglected to address the banner part of the question. Yes, there are banners that will print well on your Epson 9880. They will last 3-6 months outdoors and up to a year if you clear coat them with ClearJet or a similar product. IJ Technologies (DGVBJR) and Sihl (Expo Banner) are two vendors who come to mind that offer banner stock that will print very well on your Epson.
Randy Carone

Vautrin_18

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 05:49:29 am »

Yeah I agree that vehicle graphics should be made with cast vinyl. I also have want to give a new look to my classic car and want to do it on my own so I have been doing online research. Just found a wonderful video tutorial for DIY vehicle wraps and graphics and that was also very informative.

mearussi

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 10:07:45 am »

To add to what Randy said, have you tried applying a clear coat over your Photo Tex? This could possibly double its display life. This may not be exactly what you want, but it might help, especially since you already have the material. I use Premier Art Eco Print Shield: https://www.itsupplies.com/Premier-Imaging/PremierArt-Gloss-ECO-Print-Shield-Gallon-BR-3101-GGL
Pages: [1]   Go Up