Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Have D800 do I also need D4...?  (Read 3269 times)

Schwenny

Have D800 do I also need D4...?
« on: April 13, 2012, 08:20:29 am »

I got my D800 a couple of weeks ago, I haven't used it so much yet but as far as I have used it it seems to be a great camera! I have all the newest Nikon lenses that I need for it. I also have a D4 on order that I haven't received yet. But in the last few days I started to think that maybe I don't also need the D4... So I'm thinking of canceling my order... But first I have to make sure that the D800 will give me all I need. So does anybody here have any thoughts about it? I don't shoot sports or anything that needs a very fast camera, sometimes I need to crank up the ISO but the D800 seems capable of that. I'm coming from D3 / D700 / D7000 and thinking of selling all of them, maybe keeping the D700. I've been renting D3X recently when I have needed higher resolution for some clients.

What I have found is that with the big D800 files I need a faster computer, my 4 year old MacPro Isn't keeping up, but I was already waiting for Apple to come out with something new and faster. If they don't upgrade the MacPro line I will get the next iMac whenever that is coming out.

So should I get the D4 also...? It's not about money really, if I need it I get it! But if I don't need it I can spend the money on something else...

Håkan

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
Re: Have D800 do I also need D4...?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 08:34:44 am »

I have both.

Do you regularly shoot sports, news, or fast moving wildlife? You need the D4.

Do you need better weather sealing?

You need the D4.

Do you like shooting in really dim light at short shutter speeds? You need the D4.

Do you collect outstanding cameras? You need the D4.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 08:49:50 am »

As soon if you need it - you know that you need it...

So I guess you don't need it at the moment and yes you can rent is..
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 09:32:34 am »

You need the D4.

That's a guess, right?

Cheers,
Bernard

Schwenny

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 09:34:50 am »

I was also thinking of that one... Isn't the D800 body pretty good? Not only for weather sealing, but also sturdiness etc?

Håkan

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 09:49:24 am »

The D4 is just a heavier build body, is designed with photojournalists in mind, and lacks the pop up flash incorporated in the D800 body, so while I am presuming that the D4 has better weather sealing and haven't taken either body out in to tropical humidity, snow or rain (there hasn't been any to speak of here in Atlanta or in Austin where I was last week) those are the factors I am basing it on. This does not mean the D800 does not have excellent weather /environmental  sealing, just that the bodies are different.

One other thing I have really grown to like on the D4 is the backlit control buttons on the camera's back panel and upper left deck.

JonathanRimmel

• jonathanrimmel.com
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 11:12:12 am »

I have both.

You need the D4.

Do you like shooting in really dim light at short shutter speeds? You need the D4.

This really hits the nail on the head. I suspect you don't need the D4. If the low noise/high iso capabilities, speed, and build of the D800 is good enough for you than that is all you need. I thought about getting one myself, but I do want a faster motordrive and better high iso, so I am waiting for the D400. But like I said, the D800 seems like it's plenty of camera for your needs.

LKaven

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 12:28:42 pm »

In my experience with both so far, it comes down to this:

If you want to do serious work over ISO6400, you should probably get the D4.  At that point, thermal noise becomes an issue for the D800.

jduncan

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 10:18:49 pm »

I have both.

You need the D4.

Totally loving this answer is for collection. But there is something missing:

You have too much money and don't know what to do with it? You don't need the D4 but you need to buy one, and sent it to me.

Just to clarify: I don't find anything unusual, improper  of funny about the answer or the question. The answer is very complete and succinct, that the reason I like it, but I love the D4 and you know: A men have to try :)

Best regards,

James
english is not my first language, an I k

Petrus

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, 03:18:03 am »

If you are not shooting sports etc D4-esh, get two D800 bodies if you need 2 cameras. Nice to have exactly the same controls in both. Add the extra battery holder on one for more stability with longer lenses. Is there also a speed advantage in that, I forget?

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 06:10:08 am »

I got my D800 a couple of weeks ago, I haven't used it so much yet but as far as I have used it it seems to be a great camera! I have all the newest Nikon lenses that I need for it. I also have a D4 on order that I haven't received yet. But in the last few days I started to think that maybe I don't also need the D4... So I'm thinking of canceling my order... But first I have to make sure that the D800 will give me all I need. So does anybody here have any thoughts about it? I don't shoot sports or anything that needs a very fast camera, sometimes I need to crank up the ISO but the D800 seems capable of that. I'm coming from D3 / D700 / D7000 and thinking of selling all of them, maybe keeping the D700. I've been renting D3X recently when I have needed higher resolution for some clients.

What I have found is that with the big D800 files I need a faster computer, my 4 year old MacPro Isn't keeping up, but I was already waiting for Apple to come out with something new and faster. If they don't upgrade the MacPro line I will get the next iMac whenever that is coming out.

So should I get the D4 also...? It's not about money really, if I need it I get it! But if I don't need it I can spend the money on something else...

Håkan
Isn't this a case if you have to ask others if you need it ....... you don't need it.

Kevin.
Kevin.

Schwenny

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 11:55:59 am »

Isn't this a case if you have to ask others if you need it ....... you don't need it.

Kevin.

Yes that's what I thought... But I wanted to make sure that I didn't "miss" something in my thinking about getting it or not. I'm more sure now that I don't need it, for now I will keep both my D3 and D700, maybe I sell one later on.

Håkan
Pages: [1]   Go Up