Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fine tuning iMac Brightness control - some expert here knows how - but who?  (Read 4365 times)

DickKenny

• Dick Kenny at The Chantry Studio

A few months ago I read within a post here that an iMac screen could be adjusted more finely than with the steps provided by the cmd + F1/F2 keys. At the time such skill was not on my learning list; but now it is. Trouble is I cannot find the source of such a trick. Its not even included in David Pogues monster tome, The Missing Manual.

Anyone recognise about which I speak? And if the original author; and chance you could expand how to do this excellent manipulation?

Many thanks in advance.

Cordially

howardm

are you trying to solve the 'even at the lowest setting, my iMac is too bright' problem or the 'my target brightness is in-between existing steps of brightness' ?

Some of the calibration software packages can fine tune the brightness (vs. just telling you that it is brighter than your target).

There are some utilities (like 'Shades') that allow it but they tend to scr*w around w/ the calibration process.

DickKenny

Thanks for your response. Its the latter effect I am interested in. "My target brightness is in-between existing steps etc." To the best of my recollection, the post I saw originally on the subject intimated that there was a native to iMac method of fine tuning. But maybe I misread, or merely had rose tinted specs on at the time.

I'm using a Spyder3Elite which only compares current brightness to the target; leaving me to match them via the keyboard. Hence my interest. Again many thanks.

Cordially,

howardm

Have you tried going into the System Prefs -> Display panel?  There is a Brightness slider there

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl

[shift]+[alt]+[F1]/[F2]
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com

Unfortunately shift/option/f1-f2 to fine tune brightness  seems to have been left out of lion. I haven't found a workaround yet. The only option is to use the slider in the display preference pane.

DickKenny

All much appreciated. Many thanks.

Cordially,
Pages: [1]   Go Up