Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Has high tech killed pro photography?  (Read 157251 times)

rolad

Re: Has high tech killed pro photography?
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2012, 02:16:34 am »

Mind your language!
use the Shakespearean insult generator

franta

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2012, 02:30:11 pm »

Is that rhyming slang for *wankers*? [so, merchants then?]  ;D
Q: What is the collective noun for bankers ?
A: "Wunch", when you see a group of bankers you can say: "What a wunch of bankers!".

mediumcool

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2012, 08:04:47 am »

Here are some real pearlers!
FaceBook facebook.com/ian.goss.39   www.mlkshk.com/user/mediumcool

JustAPhotographer

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2012, 12:20:30 am »

Interesting article.

And to think I'd assumed that Australia was essentially a classless society!

As my wife says to assume makes an ass of u and me

Have to respond because your comment struck a cord.

My Aussie wife returned to Australia after 15 years absence.  She's 60 years old.  Some lady we met older than my wife asked her, what school (meaning primary/secondary) was she from?  Despite such a dated question and weird concern, she responded with some very exclusive school in Sydney, and so then the lady became friendly and amenable.  Yea, so class distinction is alive and well here.

Rob C

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2012, 03:44:34 am »

Have to respond because your comment struck a cord.

My Aussie wife returned to Australia after 15 years absence.  She's 60 years old.  Some lady we met older than my wife asked her, what school (meaning primary/secondary) was she from?  Despite such a dated question and weird concern, she responded with some very exclusive school in Sydney, and so then the lady became friendly and amenable.  Yea, so class distinction is alive and well here.

You really believe that it can ever not exist? That in one form or another, from the old standard of birth to its contemporary alternatives such as business success, people will look at one another without making any judgements (silent or otherwise) of their own based on whichever criterion turns them on?

In most cases the questions aren't even required: one can tell a lot from simply keeping the ears in tune and the eyes open. There is an upside (a word that would have had you barred from polite society): surprises can be sweet if infrequent.

;-)

Rob C

JustAPhotographer

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2012, 04:27:15 am »

Agreed.  We all make judgements.

Just what struck us as weird that this seemed to be the defining characteristic for her assessment of the quality, viability, whatever of a person so that for instance, if my wife had answered a public school, it wouldn't have been a surprise if the woman stopped talking to us altogether.

So it seems the key is to at least recognize one's in-built and inevitable judgements, prejudices so to be aware of them when interacting with people and how those judgements/prejudices may unnecessarily and wrongly influence one's opinion of someone.

Rob C

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2012, 02:47:25 pm »

Agreed.  We all make judgements.

Just what struck us as weird that this seemed to be the defining characteristic for her assessment of the quality, viability, whatever of a person so that for instance, if my wife had answered a public school, it wouldn't have been a surprise if the woman stopped talking to us altogether.

So it seems the key is to at least recognize one's in-built and inevitable judgements, prejudices so to be aware of them when interacting with people and how those judgements/prejudices may unnecessarily and wrongly influence one's opinion of someone.

But, would she have known that in England, a public school is anything but that, and that few have the funds to send their kids to what are, perversely, really very private schools? In some areas, being a public schoolboy might get you killed - best not wear that blazer and tie, Nigel!

Funny language, English...

Rob C

JustAPhotographer

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2012, 06:46:25 pm »

"Public school" is my terminology ... see I'm a septic tank (I think that's the correct rhyming slang) and so it's a bit confusing who's English I'm using: American (where I'm from), Australian (where I live), British (company where I work) and Indian (with whom I also work) ... yea lots of variants out there.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up