Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: New video on website: Feedback appreciated!  (Read 8279 times)

smthopr

• Bruce Alan Greene Cinematography
New video on website: Feedback appreciated!
« on: April 11, 2012, 03:41:05 pm »

http://www.brucealangreene.com/8datestheater.html

I just added a sampler from a Feature film I photographed.  I would really appreciate any feedback regarding the clip.

Comments regarding:  Does it play on your device?  Which browser? Hardware?
Too light?  Too dark?

Any other comments regarding choice of material etc are also welcome.

The movie was shot with the RedOneMX camera and graded in Iradas (now Adobe) Speedgrade software.

I would also be happy to answer any questions if anyone has any :D

Thanks so much!
-bruce
Bruce Alan Greene
www.brucealangreene.com

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
Re: New video on website: Feedback appreciated!
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 06:12:29 pm »

This is cheating!

You are up against a few guys learning their way around the step from stills to motion

Just looks like a movie in every way - a well shot one - but maybe a little too feelgood for my personal taste

Plays perfectly - a little bright maybe - the opening shot is a little tungsten

Super fuss - at 21 the ECU of the bloke appears to cross the line with his eyes again his eyeline is wierd in the car shot

Im not sure about the tune

Very nice major project - and I still love that girl - she was in Prisoners Wives here in the UK which was a light but fun watch..

SamMM
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 06:18:40 pm by Morgan_Moore »
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

smthopr

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 07:32:39 pm »

Thanks for the comments Sam.

I didn't mean to cheat or show off...too much :)

I just thought that on this this forum people use a variety of platforms and some have much more technical computer skills than I and just might have good suggestions as to why a display problem might happen.

About the story, it's a romantic comedy chick flick, and I just light and set the camera to match the demands of the script, but I don't write them...

Interesting that you mention that it might be a little bit light. There are density and gamma changes that happen from the conversion from 444 rgb to prosres and from there to h.264. It looks a little bit flat and desaturated on my 2008 MacBook, but a bit better on my iPad1. My calibrated photo monitor is a CRT, and it's not the best to judge movies as most are watching on punchier LCD screens these days. I think that I may darken the mid tones and increase the saturation for the next go round.  Unfortunately I can't accurately preview h.264 until it's rendered as there's always some kind of gamma and color shift involved in the process.

And lastly, the tune is in the movie :):):)

Thanks again Sam for the comments. The movie is probably much smaller in scale than you imagine, but much bigger than a few guys and a DSLR.
-Bruce
Bruce Alan Greene
www.brucealangreene.com

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 07:52:01 pm »

Honestly Im not one of those masters of colour - other people here are way better

I am convinced that a render out for a CRT would be different for a LCD render

As for a shift into H264 - Im sure there is a technical solution - I juse go a little heavy in Apple Colour, Im trying to just account for the shift like the days of making prints on a printer not calibrated to the screen - every printer

You can elways export a 10 second chunk - again thats the same as a test strip print when using a printer

All my workflow is based on a 1990s black and white dark room - make a test..

Ive mainly given up on that screen accuracy stuff now - if it looks cool on my Imac - it will look cool on a 'client clients wifes' imac

and thats what matters  :)

S
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 07:56:50 pm by Morgan_Moore »

fredjeang

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 04:47:57 am »

Bruce,

On Windows there is no sound, whatever the browser used. You need to erase the "volume" parameter in the html code where you embeded the QT. Simply get rid-of it, it's useless and creates a conflict. (it's in 2 locations, line 22 and 26)

On Mac as always the gamma is slightly bright as mentionned Morgan, on windows it is perfect.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 04:50:28 am by fredjeang »

smthopr

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 05:17:12 pm »

Thanks Fred for the feedback.

At your suggestion, I think I've done this correctly, I removed the volume setting from the source code.  Could you please let me know if you get sound now?

Thanks so much.  Really appreciated.

I've also shortened the movie and punched up the color a tiny bit.  Please let me know if the color and gamma still look ok.
Bruce Alan Greene
www.brucealangreene.com

fredjeang

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 06:03:06 pm »

Weired.

I've opened it again (the link you provided in the OP) and the sound isn't still working, the source code shows that the volume settings haven't been removed. I emptied caché and
I'm still seeing this sound setting in the QT wrapper in every brower.

:o
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 06:08:05 pm by fredjeang »

smthopr

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 07:25:49 pm »

Fred,

I opened the new page and checked the source code and the volume settings "volume = 600" were removed. Perhaps I removed the wrong settings?

Would it be possible to email me the source code page with the offending items highlighted? This is not really my area of expertise. And thanks so much for bringing this to my attention!
Bruce Alan Greene
www.brucealangreene.com

fredjeang

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 07:28:36 pm »

fredjeang

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 07:34:34 pm »

here is a screenshot

smthopr

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 07:50:26 pm »

Fred,
It's the right URL, but maybe you're loading the previous version from the browser cache?

If youre looking at the new version it will have a running time of 3:51. The old page runs 5:19.
Bruce Alan Greene
www.brucealangreene.com

fredjeang

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 08:04:07 pm »

Ok,

Bruce, we indeed have a movie theme, kind of "the ghost code".

It's indeed the 3:51 version, I emptied the caché. The conflictive code is still there, no sound in any browser (tried them all).

We are in paranormal UFO activity energy.

I have no clue of what could have happened. Tomorrow I'll check in another studio on other units and report. This is more weired than the Twilight Zone.

(Have you manually erased the HTML code? The source code windows don't lie. It's there.)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 08:07:34 pm by fredjeang »

smthopr

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2012, 11:10:08 pm »

Hi Fred,

I don't see it in the source code I viewed in Safari, but here it is:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">

<html>

<head>
      <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html;charset=iso-8859-1">
      <meta name="generator" content="Adobe GoLive">
      <title>8 First Dates sampler</title>
   </head>

<body bgcolor="#ffffff">
      <table width="1920" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" bgcolor="#222222" background="original%20art%20folder/generic%20bg%204.png" cool gridx="16" gridy="16" height="1280" showgridx showgridy>
         <tr height="112">
            <td width="1919" height="112" colspan="7"><spacer type="block" width="1919" height="112"></td>
            <td width="1" height="112"><spacer type="block" width="1" height="112"></td>
         </tr>
         <tr height="368">
            <td width="32" height="368"><spacer type="block" width="32" height="368"></td>
            <td width="1887" height="368" colspan="6" valign="top" align="left" xpos="32"><object classid="clsid:02BF25D5-8C17-4B23-BC80-D3488ABDDC6B" codebase="http://www.apple.com/qtactivex/qtplugin.cab" height="359" width="772">
                  <param name="scale" value="1">
                  <param name="bgcolor" value="#696969">

<param name="src" value="original%20art%20folder/8fd_4min760x330.mov">
                  <param name="autoplay" value="true">
                  <param name="controller" value="true">
                  <embed height="359" pluginspage="http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/" src="original%20art%20folder/8fd_4min760x330.mov" type="video/quicktime" width="772" controller="true" autoplay="true" bgcolor="#696969" scale="1">
               </object></td>
            <td width="1" height="368"><spacer type="block" width="1" height="368"></td>
         </tr>
         <tr height="106">
            <td width="48" height="106" colspan="2"><spacer type="block" width="48" height="106"></td>
            <td content csheight="61" width="752" height="106" colspan="4" valign="top" xpos="48"><font size="+1" color="#e8e8e8">Sampler from the Russian romantic comedy &quot;8 First Dates&quot; </font>
               <p><font size="+1" color="#e8e8e8">Directed by: David Dodson, Sasha Malarevsky</font></p>
            </td>
            <td width="1119" height="106"><spacer type="block" width="1119" height="106"></td>
            <td width="1" height="106"><spacer type="block" width="1" height="106"></td>
         </tr>
         <tr height="44">
            <td width="50" height="44" colspan="3"><spacer type="block" width="50" height="44"></td>
            <td content csheight="33" width="749" height="44" colspan="2" valign="top" xpos="50"><font size="+1" color="#e8e8e8"><a href="">can't view the quicktime? see it on Vimeo, password &quot;bruce&quot;</a></font></td>
            <td width="1120" height="44" colspan="2"><spacer type="block" width="1120" height="44"></td>
            <td width="1" height="44"><spacer type="block" width="1" height="44"></td>
         </tr>
         <tr height="649">
            <td width="48" height="649" colspan="2"><spacer type="block" width="48" height="649"></td>
            <td content csheight="21" width="288" height="649" colspan="2" valign="top" xpos="48"><font face="Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif"><font size="4" color="#474747"><u><a href="index.html"><strong><em>return to home page</em></strong></a></u></font></font></td>
            <td width="1583" height="649" colspan="3"><spacer type="block" width="1583" height="649"></td>
            <td width="1" height="649"><spacer type="block" width="1" height="649"></td>
         </tr>
         <tr height="1" cntrlrow>
            <td width="32" height="1"><spacer type="block" width="32" height="1"></td>
            <td width="16" height="1"><spacer type="block" width="16" height="1"></td>
            <td width="2" height="1"><spacer type="block" width="2" height="1"></td>
            <td width="286" height="1"><spacer type="block" width="286" height="1"></td>
            <td width="463" height="1"><spacer type="block" width="463" height="1"></td>
            <td width="1" height="1"><spacer type="block" width="1" height="1"></td>
            <td width="1119" height="1"><spacer type="block" width="1119" height="1"></td>
            <td width="1" height="1"><spacer type="block" width="1" height="1"></td>
         </tr>
      </table>
      <p></p>
   </body>

</html>

Bruce Alan Greene
www.brucealangreene.com

fredjeang

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2012, 04:54:13 am »

Bruce,

Ok, more infos. I've never seen such a weired thing. It might be as often a stupid thing forgotten that we don't see.

On older browers it works, the sound is there but on the source code there is still this volume, wich I verify that it isn't operative and doesn't force the volume to be at a dertermined level anyway.

On newer browsers, there is absolutly no sound at all, the volume setting is also on the source code,

while in Safari you don't see this code anymore as you posted. But beleive me, it's there and well there.

With wich program did you trick the HTML ? Also, Safari is a conflictive browser and the programmers avoid it like the plague.

Also, your QT isn't optimized for streaming. Depending on the computer and browser, you'd have to wait the entire clip to be loaded before it would play. It depends on the computer-browser.

More worrying, none of your videos you loaded in QT have the sound on the latest windows-browsers but yes on older windows-browsers. It's important you do an inquiery and fix it IMO.

Why not just embed the Vimeo version ? That's what Recuenco does for hassle-free reasons. Checked your video in Vimeo, it would work on any platform perfectly fine.
Cheers.

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2012, 05:04:53 am »

to stop any cashe issues you could make another page .. XXXX2.html

?

fredjeang

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2012, 06:00:10 am »

Morgan, it's something more than a caché. None of those videos in QT have the sound in newer windows-browsers. Even the ones that have never been watched before.

There is something in the code.

fredjeang

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2012, 06:17:18 am »

I see something, it lacks an embed to end the code. You have this:

<td width="1887" height="368" colspan="6" valign="top" align="left" xpos="32"><object classid="clsid:02BF25D5-8C17-4B23-BC80-D3488ABDDC6B" codebase="http://www.apple.com/qtactivex/qtplugin.cab" height="359" width="772">
                  <param name="scale" value="1">

<embed height="359" pluginspage="http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/" src="original%20art%20folder/8fd_4min760x330.mov" type="video/quicktime" width="772" controller="true" autoplay="true" bgcolor="#696969" scale="1"> YOU HAVEN'T CLOSED YOUR EMBED CODE HERE
               </object></td>

Try this: (copy-paste)

<td width="1887" height="368" colspan="6" valign="top" align="left" xpos="32">

<object CLASSID="clsid:02BF25D5-8C17-4B23-BC80-D3488ABDDC6B" width="772" height="359" CODEBASE="http://www.apple.com/qtactivex/qtplugin.cab">
<param name="loop" value="false">
<embed src="original%20art%20folder/8fd_4min760x330.mov" width="772" height="359" loop="false" autoplay="true" controller="true" pluginspage="http://www.apple.com/quicktime/"></embed>
</object>

</td>

Hope it works.

If it does work, well you'll have to re-do all your video codes in your webpage according to this model...A cup of coffee and patience required.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 06:24:12 am by fredjeang »

smthopr

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2012, 10:36:59 am »

Thank you so much Fred.  Your feedback is exactly why I posted in this forum!

I must say that I designed the page(s) using Adobe GoLive software which is no longer supported by adobe.

I do have a copy of Dreamweaver, but it's rather more difficult to learn.

I guess I could learn to write the code manually, but it's not the way my brain works well...

The reason why I don't embed from Vimeo is that the video doesn't look as well and I don't know of a way to keep the video in the box surrounded by the grey background in a graphically pleasing way.  Also, Vimeo is Flash, and is not supported by iPads or iPhones.  Many people in the movie business actually watch on an iPad or iPhone.

The Quicktime drives me nuts as well.  And look at the problem with the embedding. But these pages do work on iPhones and iPads.

Tell me Fred.  If you download the quicktime file to your hard drive, does it play with sound in the Windows Quicktime player? Ie. maybe it's the quicktime player/plug-in and not the source code in the html?

So, is there a newer web video format, that browsers and iPads and iPhones can all play?  And what do I need to embed that in my webpage?

Thanks again!
-bruce
Bruce Alan Greene
www.brucealangreene.com

fredjeang

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2012, 01:43:03 pm »

You're welcome Bruce.

Yes the video has the sound, a song I think in russian lenguage (or a strange lenguage for me).

It's the code. You can't open a tag without closing it, it does create conflict.
Check also that in "my" code the QT plug-in direction is slightly different than yours.

I'm not an expert in html but the code I gave you on the previous post is the one we used in the studio and it worked perfectly for us on both Mac-Windows. Try it on one video.
Now we don't use QT anymore but html5 players. It's a little more of an hassle to implement.

I'd stay with the QT, it works, just that you only need a clean code. The compatibility windows-macs and different browsers is a pure hassle even for developers.

About writing html, all you need is the simpliest text editor (no format), or simply stick with your Adobe's program, as soon as it writes html you're good to go.

I'm 99,99999% sure that the problem comes from the fact that you didn't close the open tag:  it misses this </embed>

The simpliest way is that you copy-paste the code in your html exactly where your current QT code is, from  <td> to </td> , save it and write-over in your ftp.

Let me know if you changed it, I'll report here.

ps: in the case it still doesn't work, you can ad a refresh meta between <head> and </head>

<meta http-equiv="REFRESH" content="your page">

you can also erase this: <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
or change it to: <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

the more you simplify to the max, the best.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 04:10:43 pm by fredjeang »

mmurph

• http://
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2012, 05:57:46 pm »

Looks GREAT on an uncalibrated Windows 7 64 bit laptop, Explorer 9.0.8

Beautiful, bright, saturated, lots of pop, but clean highlights and no color cast.

Some of the interior scenes go a little dark, but that is minor. Some skin tones a little magenta, but the clear glass and Russian dolls look perfect.

I know the default gamma between PC and Mac has always been an issue.  Is the Mac still 2.2 and the PC 1.8?  No easy way around that, other than detecting browser and playing an alternate edit.

Great stuff! Thanks for sharing!   ;D

Michael   
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up