Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR4 Soft proofing and NEC SpectraviewII Targets  (Read 1696 times)

Photobird

LR4 Soft proofing and NEC SpectraviewII Targets
« on: April 10, 2012, 11:43:00 pm »

Hi

I'm still just a beginner with colour management, be gentle  ;).

I have a NEC PA241W, use SpectraviewII and have created some targets for photo editing and for glossy papers eg. GFS.

Am using Lightroom 4.0, have watched LuLa LR4 tutorials (love them  ;)) and trying to learn how to use softproofing.

My question is about using softproofing and Spectraview targets. Do people leave monitor on one target for editing and soft-proofing ? Or do you change targets ?

What is recommended practice? Jeff / Micheal ?
(apologies if this is in the tut somewhere and i missed it - let me know which one).

regards, Craig

BradSmith

Re: LR4 Soft proofing and NEC SpectraviewII Targets
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 08:29:15 pm »

I'm not sure what you are meaning.   You've used the term "target".   Do you mean "monitor profile"?  I also have an NEC monitor with Spectraview software and puck, and "monitor profiles" are what Spectraview creates, not paper profiles.   I'm not using LR4 and softproofing yet, so I can't help with the ultimate answer, but I think you will get more on-point responses if you clarify what you mean.   

Brad

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 08:39:56 pm »

Target in terms of the calibration aim points (what you set).

The beauty of this SpectraView II system is you can build a number of targets and load them (and their profile) on-the-fly so yes, having a suite that represent mostly contrast ratio’s for differing papers can help with soft proofing. Assuming you are viewing the prints under the same print proofing booth, the big difference will be contrast ratio. But there is nothing that stops a SpectraView II user of making targets for different print illuminants too.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Photobird

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 10:24:14 pm »

to add to my original post:

I'm trying to learn how best to use the "target' capability of Spectraview and the "Softproofing" capability of LR4 for both printing and for exporting jpg's.

Leaving aside printing for now as I still have to establish a good print viewing set-up.
I'm currently exporting a lot of jpg's for competitions and sometimes I don't like how the jpg is rendered from LR with no "softproofed" adjustments. ie my images look like c$%p compared to the "master" in LR.
so, I can set my NEC monitor to emulate sRGB (using calibration target) and use LR4 to create a softproofed copy rather than editing the master which I want to keep as is.

My questions are:
- am I double counting in anyway by using monitor emulation and softproofing?
- what is impact on before/after views of doing this?
- are they traps / tricks / settings I need to be aware of ?
- what works for people with similar setup (and far more experience than me)?

thanks for responses, craig
Pages: [1]   Go Up