Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikonos IV-A Questions  (Read 6159 times)

Brian Hirschfeld

• Brian Hirschfeld Photography
Nikonos IV-A Questions
« on: April 10, 2012, 08:13:22 pm »

I just picked up an awesome deal on a Nikonos IV-A camera, and I had a couple of questions

1.) I know I can look this up but I haven't yet, what batteries does it use?
2.) I got it with the full set of macro lenses (this whole thinking including another UW camera which shoots 110 film a pelican case cost me 185 on ebay, crazy) how do I use this, and what are the function of the little brackets
3.) how do you use the hot shoe viewfinder for composition
4.) I read that the 35mm 2.5 lens which I got with it is calibrated for air, what is the conversion which must be done when attempting to focus underwater?

I know there are more specific underwater photographic diving forums, but I thought these are kind of general, thanks for the help in advance
www.brianhirschfeldphotography.com / www.flickr.com/brianhirschfeldphotography
---------------------------------------------------------------
Leica / Nikon / Hasselblad / Mamiya ~ Proud IQ180 owner

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
Re: Nikonos IV-A Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 08:40:24 pm »

make sure you carefully check the camera's seals Brian.

1) not a clue.
2) I believe the brackets are framing and focus finding devices.
3) Same way you get to Carnagie HAllP: practice.
4) not a clue.

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 12:00:12 pm »

Hello

1) Batteries: 2 x LR44 1.5V or equivalent. Another option is one Lithium 3V, which I think is the CR 1/3N

2) The brackets are where the focus plane is. In other words you have to "touch" with the brackets whatever you are going to capture. This fact makes the macro sets for the nikonos almost impossible to use with live subjects.

3) Hot shoe viewfinders: There are 2 plastic view finders and one optical. The plastics are: one for the 28mm and another for the 35 & 80mm. As Ellis said, practice (the 80mm is very difficult to use this way). The optical viewfinder is to be used with the ultrawideangle 15mm (there are two models of the 15mm, the earlier is a symmetrical lens and the newer is a retrofocus type lens. As far as I know, the design change was to allow TTL mettering, which was impossible with the symmetrical lens)

4) The 35 mm can be used both above or under water. What is going to change is the angle of view. Also underwater the perceived distance is not equal to the measured distance, focus should be set with perceived or compensated distance. If you measure distance with a tape, you should compensate by setting the lens 25% closer, so if you measure 4 feet, you should set the lens at 3 feet. The perceived distance underwater will be also 3 feet.

In these links you can find the manual:

Nikonos IV-A part 1 ; Nikonos IV-A part 2

Keep in mind that the Nikonos cameras have been discontinued several years ago and the O-rings are no longer available new. Also there are only few user-serviceable o-rings (lens, back, battery cover, flash connector). There are other o-rings (i.e. film rewind and focusing and aperture knobs in the lenses) that should be checked and eventually changed, but I'm not sure if there is anybody still servicing them.

The o-rings are not standard measure, you can't just get them at a hardware store.

Having said that, I would recommend not using it underwater, at least in salt water. It only takes a single incident of salt water getting inside to kill a nikonos, I've been there. You could still use it above water with the 35mm (IMHO a good performer) as a great all weather camera

Brian Hirschfeld

• Brian Hirschfeld Photography
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 01:42:26 pm »

Thanks Francisco for the in-depth information, I was more planning to use it "In" water, then underwater, thanks
www.brianhirschfeldphotography.com / www.flickr.com/brianhirschfeldphotography
---------------------------------------------------------------
Leica / Nikon / Hasselblad / Mamiya ~ Proud IQ180 owner
Pages: [1]   Go Up