Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 64 bit or 32 bit  (Read 4614 times)

once2work

• paulfan.com
64 bit or 32 bit
« on: April 09, 2012, 11:29:55 pm »

After upgrade to Mac OS 10.7, all my PS and LR become as 64 bit, per my understanding, we can switch to 32 bit just by a click in the "get info" window.

What's the different between 64 bit or 32 bit, I find not much different in end result of the final TIFF 16 bit photos.

Need some expert advice please.

Thank you in advance.

Paul

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
Re: 64 bit or 32 bit
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 12:24:20 am »

In this sense, 64-bit and 32-bit have nothing to do with your images. It has to do with how the appliation was built, and whether it can make use of extended memory available in conjunction specific computer processors and operating systems.

If you have the ability to run your editing applications as 64-bit, you should absolutely do it. I can't think of any reason to run Lightroom as anything other than 64-bit. You only need to run Photoshop as 32-bit if you have an older plug-in that hasn't been written to take advantage of 64-bit systems.

Hope this helps,

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 12:47:18 am »

Neil is correct...you are confusing image bit depth with application binaries..they don't have anything to do with another. If you have a choice, run everything as a 64-bit app. 32-bit apps are last millennium...(and regarding Photoshop, won't be supported on the Mac version of CS6).

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 12:48:55 am »

Hi,

32/64 bits doesn't have to do with image quality, but can affect performance.

Essentially: 64 bits allows Lightroom to access all memory in your computer, while 32 bits is limited to 4 GByte memory. So if you have more than 4 GByte of RAM you would use 64 bits. If you have less than you should get more!

It is possible that 64 bit mode would use more efficient coding, but the advantage is probably negligible.

Best regards
Erik

After upgrade to Mac OS 10.7, all my PS and LR become as 64 bit, per my understanding, we can switch to 32 bit just by a click in the "get info" window.

What's the different between 64 bit or 32 bit, I find not much different in end result of the final TIFF 16 bit photos.

Need some expert advice please.

Thank you in advance.

Paul
Erik Kaffehr

Schewe

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 12:51:32 am »

It is possible that 64 bit mode would use more efficient coding, but the advantage is probably negligible.

Actually, it's my experience (based on the feedback of ACR/LR engineers) ACR or LR in 64-bit should be between 10-15% faster regardless of the ram installed...there is indeed a baseline advantage to running in 64-bit.

DougJ

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 02:32:30 am »

I'm still running XP on my desktop (photography) computer, in large measure because I still use quite often 3rd party bits and pieces like Focus Magic, for example.  However, I am headed to W7 within the next few weeks.

Reading Neil's post makes me wonder if I ran CS6 in 32-bit mode on my W7 machine the 32-bit Focus Magic would be accessible to and be run by CS6.  I've been thinking that I need to keep XP on the machine so that if I want to use Focus Magic that I could invoke CS5 on the XP side of the house and do my thing with Focus Magic after which I would shut down and invoke CS6 on W7 to continue with my workflow.

Looking forward to some clarification and advice.

TIA,

Doug

Farmer

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 06:07:35 am »

You can indeed install and run (though not at the same time) 32bit and 64bit Photoshop on the same Win 7 x64 bit installation.  The 32bit version will run 32bit plugins (assuming that 64bit plugins have not been released).
Phil Brown

DougJ

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 12:45:18 pm »

Thanks for the info.  I'm guessing we'll never see an upgrade to Focus Magic.
Ciao,
Doug

Farmer

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 06:10:00 pm »

If it's a critical part of your workflow, personally I'd be looking for an alternative.  I don't have any special information or anything, but it seems to me that 32bit support can't go on for too much longer (i.e. possibly not beyond CS6).  If Adobe drops XP then there's really no reason for them to expend resources on both 32bit and 64bit.  That gives you plenty of time, but any plugin that isn't actively supported or on 64bit I think has a definite limit to its lifetime.
Phil Brown

LynnNoah

• http://myfairpoint.net
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 09:10:08 pm »

I have an early model 17" Mac Book Pro, and when I purchased the LR4 upgrade I got a message that it can't be installed on this computer.  I'm guessing the reason is that it doesn't have 64 bit capability, but I don't know how to check -- I couldn't find that info on the "About this Mac" lists.  LR4 installed just fine on my newer desktop Mac Pro and also on my wife's later model Mac Book Pro.

Questions:  How do I find out what bit version is on a Mac?  Is there anything I can do short of replacing a laptop which otherwise works well?  I'm using LR4 much more than I did earlier versions, but coordinating LR3 on my travel laptop and LR4 on my main computer is a non-starter.

I'm still running 10.6.8 because I have several PS plug-ins, printers, and scanners, and I've been too busy to research upgrading everything.  I expect to install CS6 on the Mac Pro as soon as it is released, but I assume the laptop will react with the same problem.

Am I right that this is a 32 bit issue?  Will CS6/LR4/Mountain Lion require new hardware?  Would appreciate any guidance on the next step.

Thanks,

Lynn Noah

Schewe

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 10:01:38 pm »

Questions:  How do I find out what bit version is on a Mac?  Is there anything I can do short of replacing a laptop which otherwise works well?  I'm using LR4 much more than I did earlier versions, but coordinating LR3 on my travel laptop and LR4 on my main computer is a non-starter.

Check HERE...

If your MacIntel is 32-bit, you are out of luck...you'll need to upgrade the hardware.

LynnNoah

• http://myfairpoint.net
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 12:29:46 am »

Jeff:  I really appreciated getting the straight story and the very clear reference, even though I'll be reluctant to part with my smoothly running MPB as well as the cash for a new 64 bit machine.  LR4 has got hold of me and I can't let go.

Lynn
Pages: [1]   Go Up