Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sharpening D800E files  (Read 2123 times)

JayM

Sharpening D800E files
« on: April 09, 2012, 05:45:43 pm »

I have preordered a Nikon D800e, and as I wait for it I am trying to think through how the high resolution and the lack of an AA filter will affect my sharpening work flow. Both the 36MP resolution and the lack of an AA filter will be new experiences for me.

My usual work flow is to sharpen to taste at 100% in Lightroom, then print from LR using standard output sharpening (almost always).  Of course I will do my own tests with my D800e files, but in theory:

1)  Since, at 100%, I will be viewing a much smaller portion of the image than I am accustomed to, will 100% still be the best starting point for setting capture sharpening?

2)  I'm guessing the lack of an AA filter will reduce the amount of capure sharpening needed, but that I will still be able to rely on my own eyes and sharpen to taste.  Any problem with that thinking?

3)  What about output sharpening?  Will LR's default output sharpening work as usual with 36 mp, non-aa filtered files?

I'd love to hear from as anyone with experience processing files comperable to what the D800e will produce.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: Sharpening D800E files
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 05:51:18 pm »

1) Yes...

2) Correct, it will "change" the amount of sharpening but you can still use your eyes.

3) Not an issue...output sharpening works on top of capture sharpening so it'll be fine.

JayM

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 08:55:33 pm »

Great. Thanks, Jeff.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 11:27:53 pm »

Note, the D800E will have a greater likelihood of producing moiré. You should be on the the lookout for that. Also note that LR4 has a new Moiré Adjustment Brush which can mitigate color moiré and does a decent job on luminance moiré. ACR 7 in Photoshop CS6 will have the same functionality...

bjanes

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 08:36:25 am »

2)  I'm guessing the lack of an AA filter will reduce the amount of capure sharpening needed, but that I will still be able to rely on my own eyes and sharpen to taste.  Any problem with that thinking?

2) Correct, it will "change" the amount of sharpening but you can still use your eyes.

Jeff,

Do you see any need to change the detail slider settings for the 800E? Moving detail all the way to the right invokes deconvolution sharpening, which is often recommended to mitigate the effect of a low pass filter (which the 800E lacks).

Regards,

Bill

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 09:03:32 am »

Bill, you may need to be slightly more conservative with the Detail slider compared to the non-E version.  There will also in practice be some slight softening due to other issues, even with the E version.
Eric Chan

PhotoEcosse

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 12:29:14 pm »

Interesting points.

But be a wee bit wary of confusing image resolution with sharpness.

We sharpen images for many reasons unassociated with resolution - for example, to counter very small amounts of blur introduced by mirror movement (or other sources of shake) or very small focus errors.

If Nikon's technical note is anything to go by, then those causes of "unsharpness" might be even more pronounced with the D800E.

I have to say that 2½ weeks into using my D800 (no E), I have not noticed any problems from that. Nor have I noticed any need to apply more or less sharpening in general terms. What I do get is crisper details (compared to my old D3s) but, again, detail and sharpness are quite different things.
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."
Pages: [1]   Go Up