Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: The new i1Pro 2  (Read 11714 times)

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: The new i1Pro 2
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2012, 06:54:28 pm »

So, I will be able to use PM5 with my old Spectrolino/spectroscan including full functionality to Measuretool, and tje same dongle will also serve as the "dongle" to the i1Pro basic device and enable full use of  i1PublishPro.

You probably DO want to have access to the PMP stuff, especially MeasureTool but maybe ProfileEditor (which while an exercise in frustration, at least somewhat useful). There is a lot of missing functionality in i1Profiler that didn’t make it from ProfileMaker Pro. I often have to use MT or other modules along with i1Profiler. That I have to boot from Lion into 10.6 is a drag. But I’m happy to have the ability to use those legacy tools. Hopefully some day, i1Profiler will have all those options and more.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

MHMG

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2012, 07:43:52 pm »

...That I have to boot from Lion into 10.6 is a drag. But I’m happy to have the ability to use those legacy tools. Hopefully some day, i1Profiler will have all those options and more.

Amen. Doesn't Xrite understand how incredibly useful MT really is? So much so, that when Apple dumped Rosetta, I picked up a cheap PC and loaded the PC version of MT just to have a safe pathway to continue using MT. Also running MT on legacy Mac OS's.  

Apple = arrogant. Xrite = shortsighted.

cheers,
Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 07:47:41 pm by MHMG »

mmurph

• http://
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2012, 09:31:33 pm »

I spoke to a very knowledgeable salesperson, Michelle, at Xrite yesterday. I was asking about most effective upgrade path from PM5. I have a purple dongle for PM5.

You can also buy the full Publish Pro2 kit for $1,849 street price as a new user. No upgrade, no previous kit.

So I don't think you are basically getting anything from the upgrade, as that amounts to $1,800. At least as far as I understand from what you outlined.

I posted a link previously to ColorHQ, who had Publish Pro 2 at the $1,849 price. They were one of only 2 sites I checked. May go lower soon?

No reason to hurry for me - no real breaks by acting now. My prints and profiles are fine, and I am happy. Basically they just dead-ended the current tools (at some point soon) with not much of a break for current users. And reduced the residual value of our older units to almost $0.

Whole lot of "meh" as far as I'm concerned. At least for $1,500 with Adobe CS 6.0 Production I get a whole lot of quality code that has been Beta tested and continously improved. Xrite sounds like a garage shop software developer, based on the interface. At least the underlying profiles are good.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 09:39:48 pm by mmurph »

MHMG

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2012, 10:27:55 pm »

You can also buy the full Publish Pro2 kit for $1,849 street price as a new user. No upgrade, no previous kit.

So I don't think you are basically getting anything from the upgrade, as that amounts to $1,800. At least as far as I understand from what you outlined.

Yeah, I guess you're right. XRite's different configurations and upgrade policies are as clear as mud >:(

I'm in no hurry, either. PM5 and my venerable old Spectrolino/Spectroscans still deliver excellent results.

cheers,
Mark

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2012, 11:22:35 pm »

There is a lot of missing functionality in i1Profiler that didn’t make it from ProfileMaker Pro.... Hopefully some day, i1Profiler will have all those options and more.

Can't comment on the roadmap but from what I've discussed with the product manager it's just a matter of time. Dang, we've ALREADY waited so long, right? I like where all of this is going but want to hit the fast forward button. It is exciting that they are getting a chance to rethink all of this and work with new codebase.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

djoy

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2012, 06:50:05 am »

so I forgot to ask whether the latest Eula is going to strip any of my original PM5 rights with respect to distributing PM5 built profiles to others.

That's precisely what the original EULA did, superseded the EULA on your existing X-Rite products.

I personally think it would be illegal to tell me PM5 is still going to function at 100% while failing to say I give up some rights I originally had with the PM5 package.

Unfortunately, if it was in the EULA and you "Agreed" to it, they didn't fail to state it. You have to be really careful, X-Rite's legal team appear to be a law unto themselves.

Or was that big snafu with the original i1Publish upgrade from PM5 Eula resolved some time ago?

My understanding is that they backtracked on the whole superseding of the existing product EULA thing, and one or two minor points. The original EULA was a real piece of work.

Read the new one in full, it's still one of the most insidious I've seen... but regardless; if you're going to buy this (or any!) software and use it for your business, this EULA does restrict what you can do with it, and what X-Rite can do to your computer and your business premises, so you owe it to yourself to be aware.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2012, 09:39:31 am »

Can't comment on the roadmap but from what I've discussed with the product manager it's just a matter of time.

What did you expect the PM to say? Is this time that needs measure using carbon testing? Any idea how long i1P has been in the works? I think we’ve seen at least two rev’s of Photoshop and Lightroom in that time (although to be fair, Adobe has a few more engineers).

http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2012, 09:46:24 am »

What did you expect the PM to say?

Well I pointedly asked him "Will this be developed, will that be developed, etc" and was told what should show up in 1.4 and 1.5. It was confidence building. Without that, it's hard living in this vague cloud of uncertainty.

Is this time that needs measure using carbon testing?

LOL!

Any idea how long i1P has been in the works?

Painfully aware, yes.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2012, 10:45:27 am »

BUYER BEWARE. I've seen in the blurb about this release details about license "transfer", which is plugging in old devices (with in-built dongle etc) and "transferring" the license to new device.

The license transfer process performs a swap so everything from the old device goes to the new and everything from the new to the old.

I'm working with their marketing group to update the upgrades page to show all the options (beyond just Option A and B) complete with better verbiage and a new upgrade chart. I don't know when it will go live. As it is now it's no wonder everyone is confused.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

Ethan_Hansen

• Dry Creek Photo
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2012, 02:35:40 pm »

My understanding is that they backtracked on the whole superseding of the existing product EULA thing, and one or two minor points. The original EULA was a real piece of work.

Read the new one in full, it's still one of the most insidious I've seen... but regardless; if you're going to buy this (or any!) software and use it for your business, this EULA does restrict what you can do with it, and what X-Rite can do to your computer and your business premises, so you owe it to yourself to be aware.

The i1Profiler 1.31 EULA looks unchanged from the amended on X-Rite sent out last spring. No retroactively changing licensing on previous products; i.e. you cannot use i1Profiler to supply profiles to third parties other than for printers you own or if "Your profiling services involve personalized profile-related customer consultations and are predominantly conducted on-site at a customer location." PMP5 can still be used in these situations.

octagon

« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2012, 07:59:10 pm »

The license transfer process performs a swap so everything from the old device goes to the new and everything from the new to the old.

My old i1 Pro used to be licensed for i1 Match printer profiling. I then upgraded it to i1 Publish Upgrade A. If I do a license transfer to an new i1Pro 2 Basic package spectro unit, will my old i1 Pro be rendered unusable for printer profiling in i1 Match? That sounds retrograde to me.

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2012, 09:32:20 pm »

My old i1 Pro used to be licensed for i1 Match printer profiling. I then upgraded it to i1 Publish Upgrade A. If I do a license transfer to an new i1Pro 2 Basic package spectro unit, will my old i1 Pro be rendered unusable for printer profiling in i1 Match? That sounds retrograde to me.

Yes, I believe that's how it works. But that's not a retrograde - it's progress. :-] You're upgrading to the new improved software and you'll never want to go back. You'll love it.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

octagon

« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2012, 03:55:14 am »

Yes, I believe that's how it works. But that's not a retrograde - it's progress. :-] You're upgrading to the new improved software and you'll never want to go back. You'll love it.
But hang on, after the license transfer to the i1 Pro 2, will my old i1Pro be licensed to do printer profiles in:

1: i1 Match;
2: i1 Profiler;
3: Both;
4: None?

Remember, it was originally licensed to do printer profiles in i1 Match before I upgraded it last year. It would be retrograde if I could now no longer use the old i1 Pro even do do i1 Match printer profiles.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 03:58:00 am by octagon »

PhilipCummins

« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2012, 07:45:43 am »

But hang on, after the license transfer to the i1 Pro 2, will my old i1Pro be licensed to do printer profiles in:
4: None?

See http://www.xrite.com/product_overview.aspx?ID=1951 - quote:

"All i1Match and i1Profiler software functionality will be transferred and ready to use on your new i1Pro 2 device.
Your original i1Pro device will now have i1Profiler monitor, projector, monitor QA and printer QA modules activated."

So your i1Pro becomes the equivalent of i1 Basic Pro, while the new i1Pro2 becomes the equivalent to the old i1Pro with the i1Match licenses + i1Publish licenses. You'd have to use i1Match with the i1Pro2 in compatibility mode (which I assume is automatic on the new i1Pro2 hardware).
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up