Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 9900 printing when IT KNOWS it's got blocked heads.  (Read 3833 times)

ricgal

Epson 9900 printing when IT KNOWS it's got blocked heads.
« on: April 08, 2012, 10:42:56 am »

Advice would be greatly appreciated.
I have just wasted almost a full roll of HPR 308 because early in the run a channel dropped out. The front panel told me that 'some heads are clogged' and yet it continued printing wasting an eye watering quantity of paper and ink.
How can I get the printer to stop printing when it knows it's clogged?
If I have to stand over it all the time it's printing it seems like a rum deal on long runs, especially as my old 9500 ran for years without a single clog.
Thank you in advance.
www.ricbower.com- Art and Fashion Photog

tmphoto

Re: Epson 9900 printing when IT KNOWS it's got blocked heads.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 12:04:02 pm »

Press the Pause/Reset button on the control panel.
Delete the print job (on your computer).
Hold the Pause button for 3 secs to reset the printer.

ricgal

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 12:30:10 pm »

Thank you for the suggestion but that only works when I am with the machine, not when I am tucked up in bed dreaming of the 39 beautiful 15" prints I will be passing to my customer at 9.30am.
I did not make myself clear- how can I persuade it to automatically pause once it has worked out it has clogged nozzles?

tmphoto

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 12:40:49 pm »

how can I persuade it to automatically pause once it has worked out it has clogged nozzles?
Have you tried talking nicely to your printer before you leave?
Perhaps you can talk to Epson and persuade them to do a firmware update.

ricgal

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 12:54:09 pm »

I always treat my printer with the utmost respect, breathing whiskey onto it and performing all the appropriate rituals before I retire.
I heard rumour of  '1, 2 and 3 options' within the autoclog options in the new firmware- option 3 being the answer to all my dreams and desires, (I am easily pleased). I have updated the firmware and trawled through the menus to no avail though.

tmphoto

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 12:56:47 pm »

I have updated the firmware and trawled through the menus to no avail though.
Perhaps it's time for preventive maintenance.
If you are able to clean the cleaning unit that could fix the problem.
To make myself clear, I am not taking about cleaning it with cleaning cycles.

ricgal

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 01:09:06 pm »

Preventative maintainace is an excellent idea however when even that fails, which it will at one point, I don't want to take a £150 plus hit because it has carried on printing when it knew it was not firing on all cylinders. I have a feeling that Epson has put a provision in somewhere for this- just can't find it.

tmphoto

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 01:32:01 pm »

I have a feeling that Epson has put a provision in somewhere for this- just can't find it.
Give Epson a call

Preventative maintainace is an excellent idea however when even that fails,
You are right but you can minimize the problem. What are the most likely causes of clogs?
Temperature and Humidity - You have control
Dirty Cleaning Unit - Clean it regularly (before it becomes a problem).
Air in the lines - You can visually spot it.
Non-use - don't think you have that problem

JimGoshorn

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 04:09:32 pm »

Dirty Cleaning Unit - Clean it regularly (before it becomes a problem).

Are you referring to cleaning the wiper?

Jim

tmphoto

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 07:45:39 pm »

Are you referring to cleaning the wiper?
See attached
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 07:48:54 pm by tmphoto »

ricgal

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 02:13:31 am »

Thank you David
My machine continues printing whilst displaying 'nozzles still clogged' on the front panel. I have it set to 'periodic' out of the three options.
Any thoughts?

Farmer

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012, 10:48:52 pm »

From a document on the Epson Australia website:

New Auto Nozzle Check Process

There are now 3 modes to choose from to operate the automatic nozzle check process with the AID system.

These are set under the Auto Cleaning Times menu option under the Maintenance Menu in the printers.

To enter the Maintenance Menu, hold down the Pause Button while you switch the printer on.

Setting 1

This is the new default setting. This setting also benefits from the improved AID accuracy.

Under Setting 1, the printer will perform an AID Check and if there are no blockages detected, the printer will print as normal.

In the event that an AID check does detect a blockage, the printer will display a warning on the LCD panel that Some Nozzles Are Clogged and then continue printing without performing any cleans.

You can choose to print a manual nozzle check pattern and perform manual cleans if desired.

Setting 2

This is the second new setting available and as with the other settings, it also benefits from the improved AID accuracy.

Under Setting 2, the printer will perform an AID Check and if there are no blockages detected, the printer will print as normal.

In the event that an AID check does detect a blockage, the printer will perform a cleaning cycle appropriate for the level of blockages detected. It will then perform another AID check to determine if the blockage has been cleared. If it still exists, the printer will display a warning on the LCD panel that Some Nozzles Are Clogged and then continue printing without performing any additional cleans.
You can choose to print a manual nozzle check pattern and perform manual cleans if desired.

Setting 3

This is the same as the previous setting on the printer, but it is no longer the default setting. Even under Setting 3 the accuracy of the AID function has been improved and so better results should be obtained.

Under Setting 3, the printer will perform an AID Check and if there are no blockages detected, the printer will print as normal.

In the event that an AID check does detect a blockage, the printer will perform a cleaning cycle appropriate for the level of blockages detected. It will then perform another AID check to determine if the blockage has been cleared. If it still exists, the printer will continue to cycle through clean and check a maximum of 3 cleaning cycles. If the blockage has not been cleared by that time, the printer will display an error and offer to retry or not.

If you choose to retry, the sequence of up to three cleaning cycles will repeat. If you choose not to continue, you can do a manual check yourself and perform manual cleaning if desired.

If you want the printer to stop printing, Setting 3 should do that.
Phil Brown

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012, 01:09:08 am »

Along with what Phil says, you can also set the printer to check the nozzles before each print.  This takes a minuscule amount of ink (minuscule is overstating it, it's ridiculously small amount). 

This would give you fail safe printing while the printer is not attended, worse case scenario you have one ruined print and the printer stops and waits for you because it couldn't clear the clog.  Most likely in 3 attempts it would clear the clog and keep printing.

Don't underestimate the need to control humidity, it is a major factor with clogged nozzles on epsons and failed heads on Canon's and HP printers.  I just installed a self filling humidifier that can output 8 gallons a day, water is supplied through an RO system.  I keep the room at 45% and my clogs have dropped dramatically.  Additionally my paper's are less curly, a nice side benefit.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2012, 02:49:35 am »

Don't underestimate the need to control humidity, it is a major factor with clogged nozzles on epsons and failed heads on Canon's and HP printers. 

There are no threads about excessive failing of HP Z heads on forums like this one and not on other forums either. Is it because they are only sold in areas with high humidity? Or could it be the excellent system of 12 wipers to clean the nozzle surfaces?

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

340+ paper white spectral plots:
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
update april 2012: Harman by Hahnemühle, Innova IFA45 and more
Pages: [1]   Go Up