Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: LuLa Lightroom 4 training videos...any comments from users?  (Read 6356 times)

John Camp

LuLa Lightroom 4 training videos...any comments from users?
« on: April 07, 2012, 09:04:45 pm »

It's kind of embarrassing to ask this right out in front of God and everyone, but are there any user opinions on the Lightroom 4 videos from Luminous Landscape? I have to decide whether to get the videos or go out and buy Martin Evening's book...I worry that because videos are so linear, that they might not be as user friendly as a book. Not that Martin's book is all that friendly. Do you have to look at a lot of stuff that you don't want to look at to use the videos?

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Re: LuLa Lightroom 4 training videos...any comments from users?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 12:08:31 am »

Hi,

The videos are quite fun. They also contain a lot of short chapters, so it is easy to find the part you are interested in.

The information in the videos is very good. Jeff Schewe works with Adobe, time for time, and has a lot of insight in Lightroom internals.

I have not read the Martin Evening book, so I cannot compare.

Best regards
Erik
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 03:47:05 pm by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

David Hufford

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 12:42:29 am »

I cannot directly answer your question, because I have not purchased Martin's newest book yet. I have purchased and viewed Lulu LR 3 and LR4 videos and have Martin's LR3 book.

I learned LR through the Lulu videos, (including the Where the #%*! are my Pictures) and learned about 99% of what I needed to know. I bought Martin's very detailed book (LR3) because I wanted something to use when I wasn't near a computer, or to find some small detail that would take more time to look for in videos. I actually read the whole thing too.

I am glad I have both. I suppose if I had to chose one over the other, I'd pick the videos as they are more than sufficient, plus they are entertaining. However, if you are an experienced LR user, you will know some of the stuff in the videos, but you'll be familiar with a lot of what is in Martin's book too. Which is more user friendly? If I need to know something now, I generally check the book first unless it is something I recall Jeff or Michael mentioning in the videos. I have watched the videos several times. (Yes, I need to get out more...)

Perhaps it will come down to which do you prefer, learning by video or learning by book?
*Never fall in love with anything that c

Robert-Peter Westphal

• Nature-Photography Westphal
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 02:53:12 am »

Hi,

for me it is the same - I own both videos for Lr3 and Lr4, as well as Martin's book about Lr3.

There is nothing to complain about the book, but there is also nothing, if not less to complain about the videos.
The present the knowledge 'directly from the horse's mouth' in a way you will not find for a second time. And because the videos are set into small portions which face  one part of Lr, there is no problem to repeat or redo a special section again, like rereading a chapter of a book for the second time. To help you doing this, Chris is doing a great working giving you an adapted table of contents when each download will be ready.

So for me - these video-trainings are the best source of knowledge, spiced with much humor,and play on words, you will find at the net !

Robert
'visit my completly renewed gallery at http://www.naturfotografie-westphal.com '

Tony Jay

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 04:57:02 am »

A come from a tradition of learning from books and journals - plenty of degrees and an ongoing requirement for professional development.
However, I have found these videos suprisingly effective learning tools in ways that I never expected and so would unhesitatingly recommend them.
In other posts on similar topics I have made mention of the dynamics between Michael and Jeff where faced with a problem have different approaches to its solution. The learning opportunities in this situation of watching the cat been skinned in different ways are unparalleled in my opinion. (I love cats by the way!)

In summary - an unqualified thumbs up!
Regards

Tony Jay

stamper

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 05:16:29 am »

I have both the videos and Martin's LR4 book. To my mind they complement each other. There are details in the book that can't possibly be included in the videos, thus the book is a good reference. Personally I am not someone who likes video training much but the LULA videos are an exception. IMO buy both if money isn't a problem. Two differing ways of presenting something is usually an advantage.

David S

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 02:59:24 pm »

Get both if money is not a hindrance. The videos are excellent and the book is a good reference to add to what the videos have taught you.

Dave S

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 03:06:26 pm »

Jeff Schewe works for Adobe and has a lot of insight in Lightroom internals.

Actually, I don't work FOR Adobe but I do sometimes work WITH Adobe on certain things...big difference (at least in my mind). But yes, I do get the benefit of gaining a lot of "insight" into Lightroom/Camera Raw...

John Camp

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 04:50:51 pm »

Thanks, guys. I bought the videos yesterday.

Bryan Conner

• My Flickr page
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 09:32:31 am »

These videos are great.  I am a new convert to Lightroom 4 after being a diehard ACR user since the beginning.  I am learning how to efficiently and intelligently use Lightroom.  These videos are worth much more than the purchase price...and they are entertaining at the same time.  Highly recommended. 

David Mantripp

• :: snowhenge dot net ::
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 04:46:09 pm »

I'd recommend the videos... and I don't even use Lightroom :-)
--
David Mantripp

Tom Frerichs

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 06:13:43 pm »

These videos are great.  I am a new convert to Lightroom 4 after being a diehard ACR user since the beginning.  I am learning how to efficiently and intelligently use Lightroom.  These videos are worth much more than the purchase price...and they are entertaining at the same time.  Highly recommended. 

I have the same opinion.  My only quibble, and it's very small and may also be applied to Evening's book, is that I would have preferred more separation in the Develop module descriptions between process 2012 and process 2010. What I mean is that the process 2012 controls are very different from the earlier controls, and I would rather have had a "this is how they work" section followed by a "this is how they are different" discussion instead of doing comparisons while doing the explanations.

Tom Frerichs

MMM-MMM! Crow tastes so very good, but I'm sorry I now have to eat it. 

I went back and viewed the LuLa videos again and realized that my comments about not having enough "separation" were in error. Oh, there were a few "in the past we used the black and fill light controls to...but now we use..." but not nearly as many my poor memory seemed to have recorded. And they were certainly very minor.

I do stand by my remarks on Martin Evening's book, though. A lot of his control descriptions start off with something like "The Contrast slider in Process 2012 operates in almost the same [way] as the Process 2003/2010 one."

I suppose I had conflated the two sources, for which I apologize.  Well, I would if only I knew what conflated meant.

Anyhow, my biggest hurdle in learning LR4 has been my previous experience with Process 2010. I kept looking at a photo, then saying to myself, "I used to raise the blacks and kick up fill a bit to fix this, now...let's see...the 2012 equivalent is..."  As Adams (Scott, not Ansel) would say: I was suffering a paradigm shift without a clutch. When I finally figured out that I should forget what I knew and start fresh, then everything began to work right.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 01:21:12 am by Tom Frerichs »

Rory

• Recent images
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 11:23:23 pm »

The videos are great, but pretty slow being released.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/roryhi

Schewe

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2012, 12:13:59 am »

Crow tastes so very good, but I'm sorry I now have to eat it. 

Deep fried with a nice light tempura batter and Ponzu sauce...tastes just like chicken (only better).

Glad to know that you aren't clumping me in with Martin (who is a good friend and partner in PG).

:~)

Schewe

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2012, 12:18:28 am »

Considering we shot in Feb and LR 4.0 wasn't released when we shot, I think we've done a good job of being timely...note, we'll be shooting more videos in early June (prolly not to be released until end of summer) to pick up the new stuff in LR4.1 and pick up some additional stuff we couldn't shoot in Mexico.

If you think this stuff has been slow to be released, I suspect you've never cut video? Chris has done an outstanding job of getting stuff cut and released. While Mike and I can spend a few days shooting this stuff, it's really up to the editor to make it comprehensible...which Chris does a great job at. Could he work faster? I suppose...but he does want to have a personal life (and deserves one).

Bryan Conner

• My Flickr page
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2012, 01:01:06 am »

I googled the "Rory Approved Frequency of Video Releases" and could not find reference to such a standard.  Maybe if you could publish it here, all future releases could comply. 

I think that the releases are plenty fast considering the quality of the video editing as well as the quality of the content.  Besides, when I purchased the series, I was fully aware that more videos were to come in the future. There are over 5 hours of video at the moment.  I feel that the price I paid was a very good price for over 5 hours of video...but there is lots more to come, so I have nothing to complain about!  I am stoked.

michael

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2012, 07:43:02 am »

I'll also add, that Chris was released from his editing Gerbil Wheel to fly down to Mexico and then help me drive back to Canada. That eat up about 10 days recently.

The wheel is now spinning again.

Michael

prairiewing

• Pat Gerlach, Photographer
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2012, 10:19:14 am »

Another wholehearted recommendation.  I'm a tough dog to teach but these have worked better than anything else I've tried.
Pat Gerlach
   Pat Gerlach, Photographer

dzeanah

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2012, 10:50:25 am »

Another vote for "they complement each other." 

Tom Frerichs

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2012, 11:53:07 am »

Deep fried with a nice light tempura batter and Ponzu sauce...tastes just like chicken (only better).

Glad to know that you aren't clumping me in with Martin (who is a good friend and partner in PG).

:~)

Oh, I figured you must be friends.  Looking at a shot of you in the section--appropriately--on soft-proofing I realized that he's revealed your secret identity: Papa Smurf. Only a friend would do that.

Tom Frerichs
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up