Does anyone have or know of examples of good, well-written, easily understood artist statements they could post or link?
The book Art Journey America Landscapes: 89 Painters' Perspectives
shows one page of text and one painting for each of the painters. (Some pages can be seen with Amazon LookInside.) The text is a short bio followed by 3 or 4 question and answer paragraphs, here are a few of the questions --
- "What inspired this painting?"
- "How would you describe your painting style?"
- "How do you plan your compositions?"
- "Is your painting inspired by spirituality? How is that seen in your art?"
- "Do any historical movements, periods or artists inspire your painting?"
- "What does landscape painting teach us about life and art?"
Those questions seem to touch on many of the points covered in artist statements, and the Q&A format avoids burdening the reader/prospect with the anxiety of having to think-up questions about the work.
On a side note, only one of the painters gave the let the paintings speak for themselves
response, and even they answered the "What inspired this painting?" question.