Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IMac monitor  (Read 1791 times)

mlecler

IMac monitor
« on: April 07, 2012, 08:40:14 am »

Is it better to calibrate my IMac monitor using the contrast ratio setting or the minimum luminance for the black with Color Eyes Pro? What is a good value if i'm using the contrast?
I have tried both and didn't see much difference except that i get a lower luminance using the luminance at 0,13cd/m2 instead of 0,4cd/m2 with the contrast ratio.

howardm

Re: IMac monitor
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 12:17:37 pm »

I think the thinking of those in the know is that if the monitor is going to attempt to match the print, then it has should be set to the approx contrast ratio of the paper. 

For non-matte, that's about 200:1 and for luster/glossy, it's up to around 300:1

When I do my monitor, I set it to 95 cd/m2 and around 300:1 ratio.

ComputerDork

• C1, LR, PS
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 10:24:51 pm »

Doesn't 95cd/m2 require an essentially pitch dark room though (and an appropriately adjusted proofing light)?

howardm

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 09:19:55 am »

no, not really.  the room is darkish (but within the european specification) and proofing is done via a Solux at about 18" away.  The display space
isn't overly bright either.

Doesn't 95cd/m2 require an essentially pitch dark room though (and an appropriately adjusted proofing light)?

mlecler

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 11:09:33 am »

Thanks!
what is the value for the black you are getting when you are calibrating your monitor with the contrast ratio?
I'm around 0,4cd/m2 with a 250:1 ratio but i get a lower value using relative minimum luminance.
Most of the time, instructions for differents softwares seem to use relative minimum luminance.

howardm

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 03:03:45 pm »

yea, about the same ......  0.3-0.4 

I forget offhand and the accuracy/repeatability (or lack thereof) makes me not obsess about it. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up