Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What's in Boston  (Read 4706 times)

framah

What's in Boston
« on: August 24, 2005, 01:38:09 pm »

Based on your requirements and limintations... nope.

Boston is a big, crowded city that has not much going for it unless you like to shoot buildings and people. Then you will be right at home. Forget rocks and trees and such. You are too far away from any really nice areas.

You are better off finding some of the great museums there and go see them. Then you are in the right place.
 There is alot of the Americas early history  around there if that interests you.
Check with the Boston Chamberof Commerce website for a listing of places to see.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

russell a

• www.russarmstrong.com
What's in Boston
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2005, 03:56:47 pm »

Boston is, in my experience, the worst place to drive a car in America.  Traffic is terrible, the street layout is irrational, parking is nearly impossible, the Boston drivers behave as if there are no rules.  I learned to always use taxicabs when there.  Aside from that it's a very picturesque and historic city.  If you want marvelous juxtapositions of the very old and the encroachment of the very new - it's a fertile environment.  It's a good walking around town.  A footnote: the city fathers claim that the swan boats in the park are copyrighted.

Dan Sroka

• http://www.danielsroka.com
What's in Boston
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2005, 10:35:19 am »

Yeah, Boston's a tough place to drive. It's how they weed out the timid.  :D

From Boston, you are not that far from some beautiful areas. Head south to the towns of Marshfield, Scituate, Plymouth. Small old New England towns, with lots of history. The North River Sanctuary is a beautiful place of nature trails.

futopillow

What's in Boston
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2005, 11:32:41 pm »

Thanks for the recommendations.

Looks like I'll travel light and do some street shooting, not my favourite or what I'm best at but it'll keep my mind away from IT systems upgrades (purpose of the trip).

Cheers, FP

futopillow

What's in Boston
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2005, 09:40:43 pm »

Have a work trip booked for Boston in October. Coming from Australia am not sure what is around.

Am a rocks & trees kind of guy with an occasional passion for buildings.

Should have a hire car but not too much time to travel too far.

Any suggestions?

Evan

What's in Boston
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2005, 02:44:29 pm »

There's Plymouth Rock or all the beautiful waterfalls in the new "Big Dig" tunnels.  

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
What's in Boston
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2005, 05:22:03 pm »

Boston is, in my experience, the worst place to drive a car in America.  Traffic is terrible, the street layout is irrational, parking is nearly impossible, the Boston drivers behave as if there are no rules.

I'll second all that!  The clearest memory I have of a trip to Boston long ago was of sitting in the fourth-floor hotel room overlooking one of the main roads leading to the airport, and being entertained for a loooong time by just watching the traffic go by.  Watching the number of lanes in each direction unofficially change was particularly entertaining (now it's two one way & two the other [what it's *supposed* to be], then it's three one way and one the other, for a minute it was even all four one way with a few odd cars stuck trying to go the other way...).  I live in another major metropolitan area, too, so traffic is usually *not* entertaining for me...

No new comments on what to photograph, other than to echo Russell's.

Lisa
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis

framah

What's in Boston
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2005, 08:22:57 pm »

...Boston is a big, crowded city that has not much going for it unless you like to shoot buildings and people.
 As I reread my earlier post, I realized you could also shoot people from buildings!!   Imagine them as Kangaroos hopping around.
 Yes... I forgot the newest tourist attraction... The Big Dig Waterfalls. American engineering at its finest.   :p
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

Dan Sroka

• http://www.danielsroka.com
What's in Boston
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2005, 12:37:23 pm »

Boston's a pretty walkable city, and the subway (the "T") is easy to use. Check out the Commons (the park in the middle of the city). Head down to the harbor. Check out some of the old neighborhoods.

nnmmaa

What's in Boston
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2005, 01:39:05 pm »

Here are a few of ideas for you. They relate to your occasional passion for buildings.

1. Copley Square: Several interesting buildings. A classic picture is the Trinity Church reflected in the glass panels of the Hancock Tower. FYI the Trinity Church was designed by Richardson in 1877 and is considered to be an American materpiece. Best photographed mid-morning.

2. Acorn St on Beacon Hill, an atmospheric cobblestone street,was gas lamps instead of electric street lights. Perhaps do photo at dusk as the lights come on?

3. Night photography: The Boston skyline from the opposite side of the Charles River.

If you have a car, it is about 15 miles to Marblehead, a small town with an interesting harbor scene. Walk through the old town with buildings dating from the 16th century.

Hope this helps
Pages: [1]   Go Up