Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sunrise Holy Island  (Read 3385 times)

shaunw

• Shaun Walby Landscape Photography collections
Sunrise Holy Island
« on: April 05, 2012, 12:05:06 pm »

Another from my Northumberland visit...

Sunrise Holy Island by Shaunwalby Photography, on Flickr
Canon 5D mk II Sigma 10-20, Canon 17-40mm L, Canon 24-105mm L, Canon 70-200 L, Lee Filters, Manfrotto geared head/tripod.

''Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop''. – Ansel Adams
http://www.shaunwalbyphotography.com

churly

Re: Sunrise Holy Island
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 12:25:07 pm »

Shaun - this is the shot I was talking about in my reponse to you last post.  To me this a really compelling composition.
Chuck Hurich

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 03:23:29 pm »

It's terrific.

Theatrical, really. It's as if you had orchestrated the whole thing to be just so, at that moment in time. And to have the technique to pull it off too - that takes some doing. My own photography is much more opportunistic - I see things and grab at them, usually messily - but this is calculated, determined, and very well conceived.

However (and there is always a but, isn't there?) I am not really sure that I like it. It seems so produced, so perfect, that I can't quite believe in it. It doesn't seem to be a photograph as I understand it. Which is not to detract from your achievement, and is merely a matter of taste. Perhaps because I like my photography to be just a little more raggy at the edges . . .

Nice one, though.

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

shaunw

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 03:28:51 pm »

Shaun - this is the shot I was talking about in my reponse to you last post.  To me this a really compelling composition.

Thanks Churly
Canon 5D mk II Sigma 10-20, Canon 17-40mm L, Canon 24-105mm L, Canon 70-200 L, Lee Filters, Manfrotto geared head/tripod.

''Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop''. – Ansel Adams

shaunw

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 03:44:28 pm »

It's terrific.

Theatrical, really. It's as if you had orchestrated the whole thing to be just so, at that moment in time. And to have the technique to pull it off too - that takes some doing. My own photography is much more opportunistic - I see things and grab at them, usually messily - but this is calculated, determined, and very well conceived.

However (and there is always a but, isn't there?) I am not really sure that I like it. It seems so produced, so perfect, that I can't quite believe in it. It doesn't seem to be a photograph as I understand it. Which is not to detract from your achievement, and is merely a matter of taste. Perhaps because I like my photography to be just a little more raggy at the edges . . .

Nice one, though.

John

Thanks John...horses for courses mate, one mans perfect is another mans adequate.....it is the great lasting beauty of the arts in general....we get to please ourselves (or we should be) and as such you cannot please all the people all the time.
The reality of the image is this...day one was a write off dense sea fog all day didnt shoot a frame. Day two started dense fog again, but thankfully we could see this time it was starting to thin out...i knew the dawn position was favourable for the castle facing west against the eastern dawn and i was there in time....thats as planned as it was, this image is one of several taken from this approximate position...this is the second ive posted from this trip.

Thanks for your thoughts John they are appreciated

rambler44

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 08:15:17 pm »

The sharp foreground, the wall, fence and beach line each draws our eye right back to the castle, shrouded in the mysterious fog.  This photo works for me.  I have been noticing that browns usually stand out better than brighter, near white subjects even in flat light.

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 12:20:43 am »

Gorgeous.

I almost expect to see a dragon skulking somewhere on the flanks of the castle.

Tony Jay

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 02:36:36 am »

Cracking image!

Kind Regards

Tony Jay

PhotoEcosse

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 09:06:56 am »

One of the best compositions of Lindisfarne Castle that I have seen.

Well done.
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

agrokid

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 10:26:58 am »

It's a great photograph. No doubt about that. But my eye doesn't know where to look. OK, maybe the rings lead you towards the castle, but I'm not sure. Personally, I'd drop the bottom half of the shot. That puts the castle at the top left third of the pic. But then, I'm old, and probably old fashioned. Nevertheless, I wish I'd taken it. Congratulations.

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 06:55:13 pm »

You know what I'm going to say... same as previous Lindesfarne image - I find the modern angularity of the fence so in contrast to the magic of the rest of the scene, that I would remove it (not with a chain saw, but with adept healing/cloning).

For those who haven't been there and for many who have, it would make no difference what so ever. Very few will say, "Oiy - you cheater, you painted out the fence!" and if they do, remember, painters have used artistic license forever!! I know, just because we can, should we? If we are producing art, then yes, if we are producing snapshots, than no.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth (and coming from Canada, that's something seeing as we are getting rid of our pennies!!)
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

shaunw

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2012, 03:05:32 am »

rambler44 Justan, Tony Jay, PhotoEcosse, argokid & Luborealis...cheers guys; some positve aspect confirmed, some interesting thoughts and opinions and then fence in or out?....this may help.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2012, 09:02:04 am »

"Oiy - you cheater, you painted out the fence!"

Actually, not having been there, I will have to agree that Terry's suggestion works. I don't miss the fence, and it now seems a bit of a distraction in the first version.

Stunning image, and now even better, IMHO.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

shaunw

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2012, 02:00:39 pm »

"Oiy - you cheater, you painted out the fence!"

Actually, not having been there, I will have to agree that Terry's suggestion works. I don't miss the fence, and it now seems a bit of a distraction in the first version.

Stunning image, and now even better, IMHO.

Eric

lol...Thanks Eric yer i think it a cleaner image without the fence...ill have to have UK and over seas edits...lol

Shaun

Pages: [1]   Go Up