Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canvas stretching machine  (Read 3816 times)

selectionart

Canvas stretching machine
« on: April 05, 2012, 08:44:42 am »

I own a Gallery Stretcher 60 machine from canvas-stretching-machine.com and have been very satisfied with this purchase.  I aquired this machine 3 years ago and have built hundreds of canvases since of all sizes and to the full capacity of the machine.  My clients are happy and I am very satisfied with the machines' time efficiency, it is very easy to use.  I can respond to a clients' request in a minimum of time.  The overall performance of this machine is very surprising and this is why I recommend it.

Je suis vraiment satisfait de ma Gallery Streching Machine 60 pouces acquise il ya maintenant 3 ans. J'ai fabriquée depuis plusieurs centaines de toiles dans un minimum de temps et tous mes clients sont contents. Elle est rapide, facile d'utilisation et je peux répondre à ma clientèle dans un minimum de temps. Les performances de cette machine sont vraiment surprenantes et c'est pourquoi je la recommande.

:)

Pedron

Re: Canvas stretching machine
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 03:16:37 pm »

Merci pour le français, je crois qu'on ne devrait pas se gêner...

DotCom Editor

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 05:38:28 pm »

Looks like a great machine. Alas, for me, it's too expensive for the occasional use it would receive. I wish there were a less costly alternative. When printing on paper, I cut my own mats and do my own framing, but I'm still outsourcing my canvas stretching. When I get them back, I mount them in floater frames; just never cared for the unfinished look of a wrap.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 06:18:56 pm »

With a little practice you can hand stretch a canvas with a pliers in little more time than it takes with a machine.  Although I know some people who like to make a mini-career out of stretching each canvas.

I like machines because my fingers are too decrepit to deal with pliers any more.  But with healthy young hands, if you are stretching less than about 1 canvas a day pliers are a decent choice that do not require an air system, installation, or floor space.  You will need to stretch about 10 to 20 canvases before you can match the best available machine stretching quality using a pliers, that's the catch.  Some pliers are a lot better than others, but I'm not current enough to make specific suggestions.

What's the best way to get decrepit old hands?  Start with healthy young hands, and use a manual Fletcher point gun and a manual canvas stretching pliers every day for about a decade.  I warned you, don't forget!

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 12:04:27 am »

First post and nothing but praise for a specific canvas stretching machine? Something smells fishy :)

At least they figured out the site is run by a Canadian and posted it in the two official languages!

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 12:20:38 am »

Most of our work is done on canvas and am very familiar with hand stretching anywhere from 40x20 to slightly over 60x30.  I've thought of doing it on a machine however in the end I enjoy being able to offer a product that was "hand-made".  Guess I'm just old school.

And if I might add another thought.  All of our images are gallery wrapped and have never had a client every wish to frame an image.

Don

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 02:51:53 am »

First post and nothing but praise for a specific canvas stretching machine? Something smells fishy :)

Neil

My thoughts too but the moderator had another opinion.

Made a pneumatic canvas stretcher machine myself, by hand it is nice if there a few to do but >50 of a larger size is something else.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

Dinkla Grafische Techniek
Quad,piëzografie,giclée
www.pigment-print.com

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 06:22:14 am »

I have been flawlessly  stretching all sorts of canvases for over 20 years by hand, including this one http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=65611.0;attach=57913  ,and agree with Bill.

If you watched this video from Epson shot at Marco Fine Arts  http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/Video-Library/video/Professional-Imaging/Epson-Canvas-Wrap-Demonstration/1450345356001   ( a very large art production company) which Dano Steinhardt so kindly linked to in another post, you'd realize there is really no need for the automation.If it's good enough for Marco F.A.  most people don't need a machine!  Save your money,  buy more canvas and ink ;-)

BTW: the pliers depicted in that video are the easiest on the hands !  

Look a little closer at the Marco video.
About 18 seconds in you will see a guy stretching with a Canvas Stretch Master in the background.
A production machine I would expect someone like Marco would have to have.
Not sure why they kept it out of the video.
As far as stretching machines go would not think of ever doing this business without one.
The cost is quite minimal overall.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 06:47:52 am by Dan Berg »

Shawn

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 09:32:35 am »

Ernst,

I too went the route of making my own machine...I have posted here about it in the past. It is basic, a little simple,  manual and somewhat ugly, but I have done over 175 canvases with it in the last few months. I have been exploring the possiblity of adding a pneumatic aspect to it and have been researching different methods to do so...

Would you mind sharing how you went about doing so..and maybe the source for your parts?

It would very very interesting to see how others have approcahed the problem..

Thanks,

Shawn

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 10:56:37 am »

At least they figured out the site is run by a Canadian and posted it in the two official languages!

Neil

Fishy yes, but not the strong stink of bad canned mystery meat.

Chez nous, c'est toujours la balance...

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 11:51:35 am »

Would you mind sharing how you went about doing so..and maybe the source for your parts?

Thanks,

Shawn

Have to think about that.

Being an industrial designer by education it is not the slick design I would like to see published :-)  Parts were gathered over 40 years and stored in my garage. Table was once the family breakfast table though I welded it myself 30 years ago.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

Dinkla Grafische Techniek
Quad,piëzografie,giclée
www.pigment-print.com

Shawn

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2012, 01:14:35 pm »

Ernst,

I know exactly what you mean..The one I built, and I'm an artist not an engineer, was made from various scrap parts. As I said earlier, I did publish, for those who asked, what I came up with.

It is a bit of a monster..not too proud of the design work (an old upper cabinet from the kitchen, parts from a golf cart, assorted nuts and bolts from everywhere! etc)...but is has done the job for well over a year. I would like to have the time to redesign it and add some pneumatcis to it. If that is at all possible...with my very limited knowhow.

Anyways thanks for considering it. Don't worry about posting if you are unsure, I'll jump in on my own at some point..nothing like a new challenge.

I have been fortunate enough already with the help and suggestions from this forum and all of you!

All the best,

Shawn

John Nollendorfs

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 05:13:06 pm »

I investigated canvas stretching options for several months, then accidently ran across this company and bought one of their "machines". It's 30"  width is an open throat design, allowing you to stretch as big a frames as you want, but only the middle 30", and then hand finish the corners. I've stretched 38x60" frames by myself. By stretching 30" at a time, you don't get those "puckered" edges that are common when someone isn't real familiar with hand stretching. The machine is well engineered, and made of stainless. I just clamp it to a table top for use. I am not in anyway affiliated with the company, and get no commissions.  I just think it's a well made piece of equipment that does the job well.

http://www.cuttingedgedesigns.org/

Pages: [1]   Go Up