Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: please advice about leaving photo gear in hotel rooms  (Read 4086 times)

jaap

please advice about leaving photo gear in hotel rooms
« on: April 04, 2012, 08:39:05 am »

Hi all, I'm going to travel to San Francisco, Las Vegas, Los Angeles and National Parks (California, Utah, Nevada, Arizona) in the next future.
I'm quite sure I'll be taking my photo backpack every day with me but, as I'm still planning some days, I've found out that it's not always safe to leave your own photo gear in the hotel room.
Till now I've never had any problem here in Europe but I've never been in the States so I would like to receive some advices about it...

Many thanks in advance!
jaap - just an amateur photographer

Gary Brown

Re: please advice about leaving photo gear in hotel rooms
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 08:45:36 am »

FWIW, here's an old thread that includes that topic: Traveling with gear

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 09:46:38 am »

I can't give any specific experience about travelling in the USA, but the thread referenced above looks to give some sound advice.
One range of products not mentioned I'd recommend is the from PacSafe www.pacsafe.com These mesh bags and products will deter all but the most determined and well equipped thieves. The only problem can sometimes be finding something solid and convenient enough in a hotel room to padlock them to.

degrub

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 11:49:32 pm »

buy insurance if it is expensive gear, have a list of your serial numbers and description,
don't advertise or leave gear out,
say hello to the cleaning staff if you meet them,
leave a small tip with a thank you if you feel like it, it is appreciated.
don't leave gear in a car unless it is in the trunk out of sight.
don't give people the opportunity to be tempted.

jaap

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 04:49:18 am »

thank you all guys, I'll follow your suggestions!

what I can't really do is buying an insurance for my gear because we don't have any italian insurance company covering this kind of risk.

the tip about the tip for the cleanig staff is brilliant, I'll have to get used to it!
kindness is also a great value which I'm already aware of! ;)

let's hope for the best!

Petrus

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 05:18:22 am »

I have often had to leave photo gear in hotel rooms. If possible I try to hide it so that it is not so easy to spot if the thief is in a hurry. In a suitcase, under a pile of dirty laundry in the closet, top of a tall closet, in the tub behind the curtain, behind the window curtains etc. Basically any place so that the equipment can not be spotted straight from the door.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 10:20:07 am »

... what I can't really do is buying an insurance for my gear because we don't have any italian insurance company covering this kind of risk...

I seriously doubt that. Many home insurance policies would already cover your belongings worldwide while traveling, and I doubt that Italian insurance differs drastically from the rest of the (developed) world.

Rhossydd

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 05:07:13 pm »

I seriously doubt that. Many home insurance policies would already cover your belongings worldwide while traveling, and I doubt that Italian insurance differs drastically from the rest of the (developed) world.
Actually he's likely to be absolutely right on this. It's VERY common that loss from unoccupied hotel rooms and cars is NOT covered.
You need to check the small print on insurance policies very, very carefully for exclusion clauses.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 06:15:40 pm »

Actually he's likely to be absolutely right on this. It's VERY common that loss from unoccupied hotel rooms and cars is NOT covered.
You need to check the small print on insurance policies very, very carefully for exclusion clauses.

Possible... and yes, it certainly makes sense to read the small print in any case.

However, most insurance principles are based on the notion of "reasonable care", e.g., not leaving your valuables in plain sight inside a car. Leaving them inside a locked hotel room, and out of sight, I believe constitutes such reasonable care. But in any case, I am talking principles here, so a talk to your insurer is always recommended.

Dennishh

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 09:05:28 pm »

Just went trough this whole thing when I went to China on a job. Your home insurance will not cover international camera loss. Even my commercial insurance for business said no way. I finally went to Taylor and Taylor in NY who wrote a policy that will cover in an country. Best case if in a hotel with equipment is to stay in the room and get room service or have an assistant with you who will do it.

degrub

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 12:35:44 am »

Check out trip insurance - some offer coverage while in rental cars, hotels, common carriers. How much you need is the question.
Frank

Rhossydd

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 01:52:43 am »

Your home insurance will not cover international camera loss.
You simply can't make such wide sweeping assertions as this. I've had home policies that cover camera kit internationally.
Different policies have different terms and definitions, and different territories will again have varying provisions.
The only things that can be said is that you need to read the small print on what is covered very carefully before taking out a policy. Anything not entirely clear needs written clarification before you expose yourself to risk.

jaap

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2012, 03:46:27 am »

you are all right except for the fact that I live in Italy and things work in a very different manner here.
you all have surely read or seen what's going on here, economically and politically, so I'm quite sure I won't find any insurance company that is going to cover my risks on an international trip.
I'll check out, but my main concern is that I won't be paid if I get stolen something even if I've get a policy. Sadly we're all seeing everyday news about insurance companies not paying their clients...

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2012, 11:05:28 am »

I haven’t read through the thread but many hotels offer a house safe otherwise known as a safe that is maintained by the hotel management, to keep stuff that can’t otherwise be secured in the room. Sometimes there is a small fee for the use of this resource. Call the places you are planning to stay and ask if they have something of the kind.

Insurance can be a major PITA and the primary goal here, of course, is to not have the items stolen. In addition, if they are stolen then insurance becomes the likely means of recovery.

BTW, while in Vegas, check out some of the pawn shops. I’ve seen amazing deals on camera equipment in the area.

Rob C

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2012, 12:44:45 pm »

you are all right except for the fact that I live in Italy and things work in a very different manner here.
you all have surely read or seen what's going on here, economically and politically, so I'm quite sure I won't find any insurance company that is going to cover my risks on an international trip.
I'll check out, but my main concern is that I won't be paid if I get stolen something even if I've get a policy. Sadly we're all seeing everyday news about insurance companies not paying their clients...

You have no idea how Third World Europe is in some respects until you live here.

When I lived in Britain I could get pro insurance that would cover all my equipment, film, processing, bad weather, reshoots!, the lot. We never flew off anywhere on assignment without taking out specific policies. And no, it wasn’t too expensive to add to any calendar or fashion shoot.

Here, in Spain, I can get cover for as long as the equipment is at home, and as long as it’s in a safe! I can’t get cover for watches or anything else valuable if I am mugged in the street.

In other words: we cover you where there’s absolutely no chance of any risk but if you want cover in a situation where you may need it, you are joking, señor, aren’t you?

Since retiring, I found the only solution that I could come up with was to use one of those Video Security devices. It looks like a video cassette and has a trembler mechanism inside, which once you lock the thing, will explode into piercing shrieks of alarm if moved. I put that on top of the camera case with a sticker telling exactly what the device is. So far, so good.

Attempting to hide a camera case in a room where the staff has an intimate knowledge of every tiny corner is futile.

I did utilise the hotel safe box system in Singapore, but it was the only such place I found where the box was both big enough to accept a camera case and where I felt at ease using the service.

Rob C

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2012, 01:38:11 pm »

Since I'm about to leave on a week-long driving/photography trip to Nevada and California with $12,000+ in gear I'm grateful for this topic coming up. So I just called my insurance agent and am told that my homeowners coverage for my gear is limited to about $250 and even then may not be covered at all if my shooting will be for commercial purposes. Which it surely is. He said this type of equipment coverage is called "Inland Marine" coverage that specializes in stuff in transit. http://www.irmi.com/online/insurance-glossary/terms/i/inland-marine-coverage.aspx. He'll get back to me today with a quote based on the value of my gear, including available coverage deductibles.

My usual technique is never to leave camera gear unattended in a hotel room and always within eyesight if it's (covered up) in my car.

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2012, 03:44:40 pm »

I end up leaving gear in hotel rooms sometimes. I'll lock it inside a Think Tank rolling case, or a Pelican case, which is then locked with a cable to something solid or large. If all else fails I can wrap the locking cable around the toilet (seriously). This won't stop a professional thief, but it will greatly slow down an opportunist. This is the same way I secure gear in the trunk of my car, btw. In 25 years of doing this, including ten of those in a crime-ridden neighborhood in Richmond, VA, I've never lost any gear.

(That sound you hear is me knocking on wood....)
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/
Pages: [1]   Go Up