Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Watch this!!  (Read 9761 times)

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
Re: Watch this!!
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2012, 08:03:59 am »

Sometimes lately, it seems like this site is a little too dpreviewish. Quick confrontation is becoming the new normal, and I am not sure what purpose that serves. The idea that a post in which you're not interested wasted your time is problematic at best, imo. However, to the OP, I suspect that this thread might have been better placed in the Coffee Corner, since this Medium Format area is a little more touchy than others at LuLa. It's easy to be accused of trespass here, it seems. Also, a short explanation in the original post would have been more courteous.
--
Robert

fredjeang

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2012, 08:21:04 am »

;D

... ::)

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2012, 08:35:03 am »

Quote "It is assumed (and required) that posters to the Coffee Corner conduct themselves in a civil and adult manner"

I understand, but I didn't think that the original post was not civil, just not well presented. I only meant that the subject matter was more suited to the Coffee Corner, not that lesser standards applied (or should apply) there.
--
Robert

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2012, 09:13:38 am »

Well . . .

We all know and love Jeff for his unique style (and shirts), but one has to say that if you were to end up on the receiving end of his forthright opinions, you might be forgiven for having a less charitable view.

And then one has this sneaking suspicion that perhaps he only gets away with it because he is Michael's best buddy  ;)

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

stewarthemley

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2012, 09:24:55 am »

+1

I can imagine if other people used language like that, we'd be asked to refrain or have our post removed with a warning comment or given one last chance - or all of those.

And it raises another, bigger question: do we really want this site to deteriorate to that sort of level? I don't think that sort of language and rudeness would even be tolerated on DPR. It's Michael's (excellent) site and he decides so we can take it or leave it. In Mr S's favour, he does also dish out some quite useful advice.

My view is that any kid of 11 or thereabouts should be encouraged, not castigated for a minor procedural mistake. Maybe I spent too long as a teacher.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 09:27:43 am by stewarthemley »

paulmoorestudio

• http://paulmoorestudio.com
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2012, 09:41:33 am »

rudy, very nice to see this and someone walking the talk minus the pixels..too bad that we here in this forum can't trust each other with a simple.. "watch this". maybe they are using a pc and afraid of some virus.. or finding something that challenges our digital existence. The video and your post was innocent.. like an 11 year old just finding photography.. sadly too many of us are old and crotchity and have forgot that the process is about.  This made me feel a bit younger today, thanks for posting. Next time I find something like this I too will just say "watch this".. the reactionary posts alone will be worth it.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2012, 10:39:07 am »

Life is too short to follow every suggested link that isn't accompanied by any hint whatsoever about what the link is about or why I should watch it.

If this is the same link as the one about super-big sensors (or something like that), then at least that post gave a clue what the topic was.

Some of you find Schewe's manner a bit too brusk, but he is honest and not nearly as offensive (IMHO) as a few other posters here.

Eric

P.S. Schewe has barked at me on occasion, but he has also provided me with a wealth of useful information about many aspects of photography.

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

mtomalty

• http://www.marktomalty.com
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2012, 10:43:33 am »

In the spirit of one this sites luminaries, 'that link was FUCKING awesome,dooode'

I appreciate his images and commitment given the restrictive nature of the process but I did
find the actual video a little too slick.
Struck me as the first step in building a brand in preparation for the selling of the product.
All well and good, just not terribly spontaneous.

On another note,since I'm not informed at all about the chemistry involved I noticed them slopping
liquids liberally onto the landscape they were shooting in.
Is this stuff relatively inert,at this point, or should better care be taken in the environmental
aspect of their process?

Mark

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2012, 11:16:08 am »

Occasionally he provides some useful information along with his usual profanity.  The moment he quits adding value he'll be cast aside because that abrasive style isn't something that's going to carry him through.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 11:18:40 am by EricWHiss »
Rolleiflex USA

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2012, 11:35:43 am »

Watching Schewe go all apoplectic was the perfect reason to open the link.

Wow, what a powerful video.

Thanks Schewe.
Craig Lamson Photo

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2012, 12:22:08 pm »

Life is too short to follow every suggested link that isn't accompanied by any hint whatsoever about what the link is about or why I should watch it.

If this is the same link as the one about super-big sensors (or something like that), then at least that post gave a clue what the topic was.

Some of you find Schewe's manner a bit too brusk, but he is honest and not nearly as offensive (IMHO) as a few other posters here.

Eric

P.S. Schewe has barked at me on occasion, but he has also provided me with a wealth of useful information about many aspects of photography.

I agree entirely (almost entirely, anyway: I'd spell brusque properly :)). I have been on the receiving end of a put-down or two from Jeff; they sting a little at the time but it wears off, and the pain pales into insignificance when put against what I've learned from his books and posts here. There have been far greater irritants who have contributed a lot less of value.

I'm with Jeff on following the link, as well. I'd like to know what I'm likely to be letting myself in for before I go to a site.

Jeremy

Michael H. Cothran

« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2012, 01:03:40 pm »

I don't know what it says about me, but I thoroughly enjoyed watching this.

Without giving anything away, the opening sequence threw me off, thinking something quite different (and negative) than what it was. But ultimately, it had a nice positive overtone, and quite an interesting undertaking. I wish success for the guy, and thanks to the OP for sharing.

I do agree that the OP could have titled it a little better, with some indication as to what the video was about.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 01:27:40 pm by Michael H. Cothran »

Alan W George

• http://alan-george.com/
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2012, 01:16:34 pm »

Thanks for the link. "The medium is not the message", came to mind.

BTW, Just ignore the rants of the neighborhood bully.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 01:18:39 pm by Alan W George »

BlasR

• http://BMRWorldPhotos.com
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2012, 01:36:26 pm »

Jeff,

why the F**** words?  just asking!  if you have a bad day. and like to fight..Simple, see the wall next to you? if you do not u must be blind..but if you do, go after the wall..kick it, punch it. Just destroy it..take a photo in let me see..I bet you are the winner. 

Eric, ass kisser, I love u too!.
BlasR
  [url=http://www.BMRWORLDPHOTOS.CO

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2012, 03:37:25 pm »

why the F**** words?  just asking!

Yeah, well, I don't know...I wasn't having a bad day and I normally don't actually write that/those words (I say them but tend not to write them). So, yes, my bad, sorry...substitute Frack for F*** and Fracking and Fracked up....I started using that after the most recent Battlestar Galactica SF series...the rest of the content I'll let stand. And, I'll leave my posts unedited as a reminder I screwed up.

:~)

marcmccalmont

« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2012, 03:48:36 pm »

Yeah, well, I don't know...I wasn't having a bad day and I normally don't actually write that/those words (I say them but tend not to write them). So, yes, my bad, sorry...substitute Frack for F*** and Fracking and Fracked up....I started using that after the most recent Battlestar Galactica SF series...the rest of the content I'll let stand. And, I'll leave my posts unedited as a reminder I screwed up.

:~)

-1 for you for having a bad day
+99 for you for being man enough to admit the mistake
Marc
Marc McCalmont

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2012, 11:51:13 pm »

See, I'm not TOTALLY out to lunch...although in the final judgement, the OP screwed the pooch by posting a duplicate video to *Really* Large Sensor Photography  which is almost as egregious to not putting anything really useful in original post, frack it all!

RobertJ

« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2012, 01:32:25 am »

I don't know why you'd be scared to click the link.

If you put your mouse over the link, your status bar will show that the link isn't disguised as anything harmful.  It's just a link to Vimeo... and Vimeo is a pretty cool site.

If the OP made a link that said "click me!" and then you put your mouse over it and the link was holycrapthiswebsiteismalicious.com then I wouldn't have a problem with Jeff ranting more than he already has. :)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2012, 06:33:02 pm »

It is not a matter of being "scared" of a link. It is, however, a matter of common forum curtesy to explain what is behind the link and why you are posting it, i.e., why should we waste our time checking it.

If Jeff or Michael posted the same, I would not hesitate to click on it. Why? Those guys already have their reputation established, I know them well and trust their judgment. The same goes for several other forum members that I know and respect.

It is a completely different story when an unknown member (to me, at least) does the same. It is simply presumptuous to assume that he has such reputation and credibility as to invoke unquestionable following of his instructions. And presumption irritates.

michael

« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2012, 06:57:07 pm »

OK, I think we're done here, hypocrites and all.

Michael
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up