Poll

How interested would you be buying in an 'Advanced' Guide to PS CS6?

I would buy it for sure
- 35 (43.2%)
Maybe - if the price was right
- 27 (33.3%)
Not sure. I have LR, that's enough for me
- 5 (6.2%)
Probably not. I don't use PS enough
- 7 (8.6%)
Definitely not
- 7 (8.6%)

Total Members Voted: 79

Voting closed: May 03, 2012, 04:43:13 pm

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lu-La CS6 Guide  (Read 31475 times)

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
Re: Lu-La CS6 Guide
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2012, 12:24:07 am »

Nope!

I'll quote you on this a year form now when the next round of 'where's the next LLVJ' threads start ;)  How long has it been now since the last one?

kaelaria

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2012, 12:30:04 am »

Ah, had to go waaaaaay back to look - it's been 3 years and 4 months since the last one...come on man just be honest.  We all know by now, it's done...

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2012, 01:27:11 am »

Ah, had to go waaaaaay back to look - it's been 3 years and 4 months since the last one...come on man just be honest.  We all know by now, it's done...

Actually, not...

You gotta understand the relationship between "timely" and relevant. Chris tries his best keeping the two together. But people wanting to learn "new stuff" vs stuff that is a bit more timeless is a difficult proposition. Chris would LOVE to stay heads down on older stuff to get it out. But...he's gotta spend time on the stuff people are demanding currently.

kaelaria

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2012, 01:29:44 am »

I completely understand that.  But when there have been a few big threads, about every year or so asking when it's coming and he states - in a few months, by Christmas, going from 4 to 1 a year, etc. but in reality not a thing gets released at all for almost 3 1/2 years now...well I'm just stating the obvious is all.  Like I said, I'd LOVE a new episode, but I'm realistic. :(

Photobird

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2012, 10:42:57 pm »

please no more LLVJ's, They have already cost me 2 trips to Antarctica  ;D. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Actually, Spitsbergen would be good ... ::)
Polar Bears and no Penguins (maybe just giant yellow ones).

Craig

AFairley

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2012, 06:56:15 pm »

I would prefer to see a more in-depth treatment of lightroom first.  I am finding the LR4 tutorial a little more on the once-over-lightly side that I had expected.  I do appreciate that there's a lot to cover in there and that there's plenty of video as it is, but, for example, I found the treatment of sharpening and noise reduction pretty cursory.  But I guess I am conflating a Lightroom tutorial with a printing tutorial (I haven't seen the most recent Camera to Print tutorial, only the prior.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2012, 08:13:31 pm »

The best thing I learned about photoshop on LL was that Michael showed to use Unsharp Masking by 20% radius 50 pixel. (he got it from Thomas Knoll himself i believe)

It really improved the 3d quality of my photographs...( along with destroying detail but that is what phototshop 90% of the time does)

Yes if you have more...let it come!
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2012, 08:19:06 pm »

100% YES.  I'm afraid we've seen the last of the fabulous series though :(

+1

Chris,

I know you already have your hands full and are working flat out and I also assume you must have built up quite a stock of LL-VJ footage over the many years since the last release in 2009, in fact probably enough for about 9 complete LL-VJ's I would guess, and as we all seem to be getting desperate for them to recommence, would it not be an idea to release them as pre-paid downloads as they become available in sections, just like you did with C2PS and LR4 videos? This way you can gauge what I think would be a flood of renewed interest, by revenues received and thereby allowing you to focus all your efforts on what is already known to be a very popular product, with a ready made and eagerly awaiting audience - this is just an idea.

But for me, I would prefer more (as in lots more) LL-VJ's than anything else, I can go to sites like Lynda for all the PS and computer related stuff and Youtube or B&H for their excellent and free videos on techniques and camera/gear specs etc, but the LL-VJ's are (or were) yours and Michael's USP.

A cold night by a warm fire with a glass of wine, watching a couple of hours of Michael wandering across various landscapes with his compadres, chatting about photography and discussing the resulting images, is the nearest thing to being out and about with Michael etc and chatting about photography and taking/making pictures - I truly love it and I also totally miss it.  :(

Dave
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 07:23:30 am by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

billmac

• McClure Photography, LLC
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2012, 06:47:45 pm »

Chris,

Long time lurker; not much of a poster. I have virtually all of your videos and return to them often for inspiration and renewal. Please, please don't waste time and resources on CS6! Too much competition and much less need for PS. Do what you folks do best, as others have highlighted. The LLVJ lead us away from the technical, for the most part, and into the world of composition, vision, inspiration, searching, seeing, etc.

Bill McClure

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2012, 10:40:59 pm »

Chris,
Long time lurker; not much of a poster. I have virtually all of your videos and return to them often for inspiration and renewal. Please, please don't waste time and resources on CS6! Too much competition and much less need for PS. Do what you folks do best, as others have highlighted. The LLVJ lead us away from the technical, for the most part, and into the world of composition, vision, inspiration, searching, seeing, etc.
Bill McClure
Thank-you all for your encouragement and exhortations. Duly noted! When the Lightroom 4 tutorial is completed in a couple of weeks, I intend to take a break from editing and then return to the Video Journal in late Summer/early Fall.

Chris

Martin Ocando

• Lightcraftings
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2012, 01:08:13 am »

Thank-you all for your encouragement and exhortations. Duly noted! When the Lightroom 4 tutorial is completed in a couple of weeks, I intend to take a break from editing and then return to the Video Journal in late Summer/early Fall.

Chris

Take your time, Chris. I definitively think an advanced guide to CS6 for photographers would be a winner, and I will be the first to buy it. There are simply so many things that you still have to bounce to PS to do, that would be a complete package for a new photographer to learn all the tricks of the trade. I mean, not a single photographer should be content with learning everything about Lightroom, and simply feel restrained in doing things because Lightroom simply doesn't allow you to. You cannot achieve the pinnacle of image processing until you learn PS. Or at least the specific things that a Photographer must know.

I also hope you keep with the discounts for pre-order and during release time frames.

Looking forward to it.
Martin Ocando
Olympus OM-D E-M1 -

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2012, 08:22:19 pm »

I think clearing the backlog before getting into more new stuff makes a certain amount of sense, especially because the kind of material we get in LLVJ we don't get anywhere else. I really think Photoshop instruction is a saturated field. There are so many free and low-cost high-quality resources out there. I think to give such a product commercial traction you'd need to identify a niche that isn't being addressed already elsewhere in the market. And this would be coming at a time when more and more people are doing more and more of their work in Lightroom because it has growing and obvious advantages which you know and show so well. So I don't really say yea or nay to something on Photoshop, just a note of caution about the environment it would be playing into and the need to identify some uniqueness that would make it a "must buy" product.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

owinthomas

« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2012, 07:33:52 am »

Chris,

I for one would love an advanced Lu-La Guide to CS6, although as a previous post has stated the market is saturated with this sort of thing.

As to the issue of providing the LLVJs, may I make a suggestion, or two?

Do the same as you did with the longer tutorials, release as you finish a segment, instead of focusing on a DVD size release, just do shorter segments and release on a regular basis. A sort of little series of epsiodes, in each episode concentrate on one subject, finish it, process it and then release it. Didn't MR do some small segments at the beginning of the year? Do something like that. This way you will be pleasing the majority of people who are copmplaining by giving them LLVJ segments.

Pricing? Do a similar deal, for those who buy as they're released a discount, if you want to wait for the full LLVJ release, then the fuil price.

Oh and another idea, take on an apprentice ;-) They can do the donkey work whilst you take care of the tutorials.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 07:41:55 am by owinthomas »

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2012, 11:29:29 am »

Good thoughts - thanks!

On the subject of an assistant. I have gone through several and basically had to redo all their work. Besides, I don't want one in my house all day  :D

AveryRagan

« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2012, 02:30:49 pm »

"For me, the Reichmann & Schewe show is real entertainment."

How about adding Eric in a popup or  a bubble with a caption that says..."Now what they really meant to say is"...and then he gives us more advanced technical insight. Not saying that we don't get plenty with what we've received so far in the videos...but more is always better IMHO. ;)

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2012, 05:27:51 pm »

How about adding Eric in a popup or  a bubble with a caption that says..."Now what they really meant to say is"...and then he gives us more advanced technical insight.

It was very generous of Eric to spend the time to fly up to Ontario and agree to do a day's taping with us, but you know, Eric does have a real job. Would you rather have him spend time doing videos or cool new features in ACR & LR? Yeah, I though so...

:~)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up