Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Collector Satin Canvas - to coat or not to coat?  (Read 5706 times)

Peter J M

Collector Satin Canvas - to coat or not to coat?
« on: April 03, 2012, 03:30:41 pm »

Hello everybody,

Do I need to coat  HP Collector Satin Canvas (printed on z3200) or was this particular one designed to withstand a "normal" display use/abuse? If yes, any coat recommendations?

Thank you.

tmphoto

Phil Indeblanc

Re: Collector Satin Canvas - to coat or not to coat?
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 08:41:08 pm »

There is no use to ever link HP website. they are all over the place an the pages are always changing.

I was wondering this myself, clicked on your link and poof, to the support page.  HP needs to do something. They can have some disposable and temporary hardware products, but why base your company website on a temporary placement of products and information.

Can you imagine walking into you local grocery store while they change the location of all their products on a weekly basis?!! Thats what it feels like at HP.

So...back to OP Q, does this Collector Satin Canvas need a finish quote to withstand "normal" display?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 10:29:40 pm by Phil Indeblanc »
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

darlingm

• Westland Printworks
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 01:29:21 pm »

The strong consensus is that there is no canvas yet available you should be comfortable not coating for pigment inks.  Solvent or latex inks may be a different story - I haven't looked at those much.

Many satin or gloss canvases claim you can get by without coating.  One of the manufacturers made the claim, and many of the others' marketing departments decided to make the same claim.

You can find countless threads here of printers complaining about losing so many canvases that were uncoated, and the manufacturers shrugging their shoulders when it happens.

That being said, if you're printing it, carefully stretching it, and putting it straight on a wall... You may get away with it.  Sometimes.

If you're shipping it, exhibiting it, etc, there's no point to even try.
Mike • Westland Printworks
Fine Art Printing • Amazing Artwork Reproduction • Photography
http://www.westlandprintworks.com • (734) 255-9761

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 02:06:10 pm »

Good to know! I never used this HP Collector Canvas. Looking forward to try it out as I just got a roll.

jferrari

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 10:35:24 pm »

There is no use to ever link HP website. they are all over the place an the pages are always changing.

Phil, that link was posted almost three years ago. A lot of things can change in that amount of time.    - Jim
Nothing changes until something changes.

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 01:24:43 am »

Yes, its a very old thread/link.

Sadly this doesn't change HP's ever changing site. The site is search word driven and pools pages from a database based on your search. It doesn't necessarily have static content that you can go back to. They are changing it, so they tell me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up