Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: New 4k Sony  (Read 36033 times)

Petrus

Re: New 4k Sony
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2012, 03:17:35 pm »

The C300 is still the only 'BBC approved' of the bunch at 50mbs internal codec

I thought Canon FX300/305 was BBC approved when it came out in 2010. It costs about 75% less, too...

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2012, 03:23:04 pm »

I thought Canon FX300/305 was BBC approved when it came out in 2010. It costs about 75% less, too...

.. "of the bunch" (..of S35 or larger chipped) .. cameras the C300 is the only approved (apart from Red and Alexa I assume)

S
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

fredjeang

« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2012, 03:30:35 pm »

Sony had a full frame still camera for some time now. I think 2 models, 20 ish MP very tough. The design ergonomic IMO was superior to CaNikon, a camera for photographers but it wasn't very good in higher isos and the mount...well, very limited choice. Also as you point, were is the pro service? All that didn't incite the pros to go Sony for stills but they have the tech and they understand users.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/a900-nr.shtml

But I think that it's not that much in still camera only where the wind is blowing; more and more editorials are been shooting from Red cameras still-extracted. Right now.

If Sony, or whatever, brings a really good video camera with a good still resolution capability, more and more pros will go that route. One system for both.

I have the sensation that the "convergence cams" will not be still cameras doing motion but the opposite, motion cameras with high reso still capability.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 03:35:00 pm by fredjeang »

fredjeang

« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2012, 03:45:43 pm »

I'm lost.

I thought too that the FX300 was BBC approved, so as the Panasonic AF101.

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2012, 03:49:46 pm »

Im more lost - dont even know what an FX300 is !

fredjeang

« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2012, 03:50:57 pm »

Sorry  ;D XF

stewarthemley

« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2012, 06:31:07 pm »

Just as a bit of info: the Canon XF300/305 ARE BBC approved as their 50mbs/4.2.2 codec stands up to the broadcasting chain, which is more than a clour grading process, and has several operations that degrade any image, even if only slightly.

Petrus

« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2012, 01:56:02 am »

Don't pay any attention to me, I do not even know which camera I am using!  ;D

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2012, 06:35:46 am »

another video.. FS700

IMO the sun in the frame is looking very good..

fredjeang

« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2012, 06:48:43 am »

Looks very much like a hacked GH2 footage. Very good.

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2012, 10:17:41 am »

another video.. FS700

IMO the sun in the frame is looking very good..

Says Password protected
Kevin.

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2012, 12:11:32 pm »

He put it up then had to take it down (NDA) - I think it will be back on Tuesday

S

fredjeang

« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2012, 03:59:30 pm »

I'm super enthusiastic with this Sony. It's been some time I wasn't excited by a camera.

BJNY

« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2012, 09:24:58 pm »

Guillermo

bcooter

« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2012, 04:32:38 am »

I don't believe any camera is the holy grail, but I think Sony got a fire under em and lit the fuse.

This is where it's gotta go, a film makers camera that offers options like slo mo and a frame big enough to throw focus without breaking the bank.

I take the testimonials with a slight grain of salt, because like all camera makers they're not going to throw someone in the mix that says "huh, video, we don't shoot no video man", but the film makers world is changing like it did with stills and the company that comes out with the most film like moiton camera like digital motion camera will do to the film market what Canon did to the still market.

There is one thing I'd always like to ask any artist endorsing any equipment is . . . do they pay you, give you a discount, hold your hand, wash your car, or give out free t-shirts.*

I'm brand agnostic, but after shelpping 13 cases around the world I'd love to have one camera that used the same lenses, would go to fast autofocus to slow manual focus, high iso, great sound mix, and work with every standard gizmo in the biz and oh yea, every lens (let me say this again, every lens) should have image stabilization.

I think this Sony may be it and though 10 grand for an electronic box still seems like a lot, I look at those 4 cases of RED's I own and I think hmmm, 10 grand's pretty cheap.

IMO

BC

*now I'm not knocking paid endorsements, especially if they show the artists work to sell stuff, cause that's what most of us do . . . shoot images to sell stuff, because that's a big plus in my book.

I always get bummed when some guy that has a 600,000 reader blog says, ________ was kind enough to loan me a _________ to test, when what I'd love to hear is _________ paid me to shoot this stuff so they could sell their camera.

The next thing that bums me out is when they say I "tested" this camera where what you want to hear is their client say, "wow we just shot the big panty campaign and the client loved it cause their sales increased 400%.

That would get my attention.*

*tge 400% part, not the big panty part.

Yea.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 04:39:17 am by bcooter »

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2012, 09:04:19 am »

Craig Lamson Photo

Bern Caughey

• WONDROS
« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2012, 02:20:57 pm »

I could run a list of Canon misses and they would go on for two pages.

Sad but true.

Still the C300 is selling like crazy, & it seems Canon is about to announce more cinema cameras, one likely dSLR-style, & another much more expensive model.

bcooter

« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2012, 03:40:24 pm »

Sad but true.

Still the C300 is selling like crazy, & it seems Canon is about to announce more cinema cameras, one likely dSLR-style, & another much more expensive model.

Yea, I read that Sony is laying off, mostly because their televsion set business has lost money for years (also they took a large right down on their income for taxes).  

For a while Sony and others counted on 3d, now they are counting on 4k tv's but I don't know what cable system or netwwork is going to adopt it.  Sony doesn't make a lot of components for their set top boxes anyway, so they're is more issues at play than Sony making good product. 

As far as the Canon c-300 selling, I guess so, especially from one large retailer in that specializes in Canon., but I don't really understand what impact that camera has on people like us.  I'm not 100% sold on 4k footage, but I am sold on any camera that can shoot pretty and be 100% reliable and fast.  

I do know with a few more options including a lower price, maybe a more robust or raw file I'd have given it a harder look.  I aso know the 5d3 will sell a billion more cameras than the C-300 and if it really would track focus . . .  they'd probably sell a few trillion more cameras.

Anyway, Sony's troubles (and I'm sad about them laying people off), could be good for our industry as all corporate earnings are down this month, mostly because companies can no longer make money in cutting costs, now they have to produce revolutionary product or at least damn good evolutionary product, hopefuly better advertising and every segment of every market must be taken seriously.  In other words in the "new economy" you buy a camera almost because you have to . . . not because you just want to.

I still think the new Sony fs700 will be a hard camera to beat as long as they get it right and get it solid and whatever Canon does is fine with me.   I hope it's also good, but if it gets past the cost of a Scarlet, it's off the table.  If it's more reliable and Sony get's their message out . . . really gets it out and some famous director or producer uses one for a big time movie, they sell even more.

I think the market just can't sustain half a dozen manufacturer's making $20,000 or $30,000 cameras that are slow off the mark without everything available.   At least not to the photographer that is "adding" motion imagery.  It's more than cameras and lenses and tripods and computers and learning curve.  It's other heavy hard costs like continuous lighting, different crew, sometimes larger crew and more importantly working in a way that takes a lot of very, very, very well managed pre production.

In fact I'm a little amazed that Canon or Sony or someone with deep pockets hasn't bought a bunch of 3rd party companies like Zaguto and made it a one stop all place to buy everything you need.    See RED for reference.

I look at this cameras in two ways.  First as a tool to use in my profession, which trumps everything.  If they cost a lot, add crew, make life more difficult then they are not really a step forward.

I love the R-1's, not because they're raw, or because they're big, but because for me they're damn reliable (looking for some wood to knock on) and shoot pretty.  Now the FS100 I find almost as good and for fast quick movement you can do things with them that would have taken a large team and a lot of equipment to pull off.  The Scarlet . . . it scares the s&^t out of me.  I've downloaded firmwares, read the manual a dozen times, (and I've never read a camera manual before in my life), shot 4 dozen tests, used them in big production and I still can't tell you that I'm 100% sure everything on the scarlet is 100% there.  It always feels a little beta to me.

Maybe I'll postpone Von's trip to Canon Ranch or take a Ride in the RED Team van and get a lesson.  (Von can you teach the Scarlet from the back of a van?

I also see these cameras in a way few of us want to admit.  When you spend thousands, or multiple thousands of dollars you want to enjoy yourself and have fun.  I know, fun is a word in short demand lately, but buying new shiny stuff is fun because if it wasn't we'd all drive a small white van with tiny cloth seats. 

I just came out of a meeting yesterday with clients and we talked concept, delivery, script, schedule and everyone was very businesslike and serious until I said, "hey, no matter what, let's make this big fun." 

Then everyone smiled because let's face it fun is fun.

To me since Sony has excellent autofocus and real professional xlr inputs for sound, now they need a simpler menu, a real post processing suite for dailies and most of all affordable fast lenses that work in auto and manual focus that don't cost 12 grand a pop.    Some of that let's you shoot with fun.

I don't care if those e-mount lenses feel lightweight or weigh 5 lbs, but they need to be out there now . . . right now . . . oh yea . . . and be shiny and fun.

IMO

BC

« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 11:40:27 pm by bcooter »

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2012, 04:03:31 am »

I think the C300 - a lot of Houses bought a 5d and a load of Lglass - a big attraction for the C300.. and that onboard 50MBs

Fun.

There is also a mechanical joy.
Ive used an Epic for 2 mins, but I instantly loved PL mount. Click clunk.
I love changing the ISO or Colour temp on the 5d.
I threw the handle out on the FS100 because I didnt like the texture and hardness of the plastic
Changing the shutter speed on the FS100 is nasty - and prone to going to auto if you are not watching
Having a Post it taped on the back of the FS100 describing your picture profiles, that you cant name, its not fun
All the wires hanging off a C300 dont look like fun
In the early days I had a Letus adapter to make my nikons work on my EX1 - again I binned it because it was no fun to use

We are still actually missing a camera that is fun to use?

I blogged..
http://dslr4real.tv/index.php?option=com_zoo&task=item&item_id=100&Itemid=1

S

« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 04:34:29 am by Morgan_Moore »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up