Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tale of 2 Camera Extremes  (Read 2551 times)

Dave Gurtcheff

Tale of 2 Camera Extremes
« on: April 02, 2012, 03:59:31 pm »

Cross Posted on MF and Small Camera forums. NEX7 and Pentax 645D experience today:

Today was one of those magical days here on Long Beach Island, NJ. Yesterday/Last night was stormy; typically, next day we get blue sky, with a bunch of lovely, fast moving clouds. They start over the main land, blow over the bay, reach the island and sometimes do not dissipate over the ocean (most times they do). Today was such a day. I grabbed by Pentax 645D with 35mmA, 75mmA, and 120 Macro (also manual focus version). I only used the 35mm. Camera on tripod, mirror lock up, manual exposure, circular polarizer. Mirror lock is a breeze: turn a switch on the body. Setting ISO, shutter speed and F stop likewise a breeze. I have been doing it for 55 years. I have not processed the images yet, but think I have some keepers. I also took the NEX7 with 4 lenses, but only used the Zeiss 24mm f1.8. The others stayed in the trunk of the car. I put it around my neck to make any "grab shots" that I may encounter. There were several opportunities to use it. Beautiful sky, beach, waves, and a man came along walking his tiny daughter (with a RED coat). There were several more opportunities to use the NEX. I wish I could tell you I had a good experience. I did not. First trying to view through the finder and rotate the polarizer to see the affect is impossible for a left eyed shooter. Several shots were screwed up, because I wanted to shoot at f13, and they ended up at F20 and F22...the dial changes too easy. Then several more were screwed up (happened 3 times): I grabbed a quick shot, and the ISO changed from 200 to 16,000!!! For left eyed shooters, my nose must rub the round dial on back that changes ISO. It is MUCH too free spinning. My next adventure with this camera, I plan on bringing masking tape and taping all the dials. The final problem, is that towards the end of the day, I must have turned a dial, or pushed a button that turned on the big distracting level in the viewfinder. I sat in the car for 15 minutes going through endless menues trying to turn the GD thing "off". I still have not found it.
Thank God for my 645D and Sony A900.
Good luck to all and good shooting!
Dave in NJ

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
Re: Tale of 2 Camera Extremes
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 06:32:51 pm »

Yes, sold my NEX 5 for these reasons - to a degree - also just never bonded with the camera itself, didn't feel like a camera. Quality was fine,but....

My in-between camera is now a Panasonic G3, much happier (though I don't use it much).

Steve Hendrix
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 04:01:19 am »

I love the simplicity of my Mamiya 7.
Seems restriction is freedom at times ...

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 05:26:14 am »

I love the simplicity of my Mamiya 7.
Seems restriction is freedom at times ...

I tremble to say it, but isn't that what underlines all of my gripes about the modern ways? You trade one convenience for a different sort, and forever question whether you made a good deal. Or at least, some of us do that.

Rob C

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 07:39:26 am »

While I complained about the NEX-7 initially, I am coming to grips with the thing.  I would add however that the focus peaking feature doesn't seem to work all that well for me and I've had better luck with viewfinder magnification. I still miss a good rangefinder, though.

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 11:13:34 am »

thanks all who responded. The dial lock function may do the trick! I know I need to give this thing another chance. For now, I have set ISO to 200, Aperature priority set at f13, exposure compensation to +1/3 and LOCKED all dials.
again thanks all
Dave

Jozef Zajaz

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 05:54:04 pm »

Yes, sold my NEX 5 for these reasons - to a degree - also just never bonded with the camera itself, didn't feel like a camera. Quality was fine,but....

My in-between camera is now a Panasonic G3, much happier (though I don't use it much).

Steve Hendrix

Sold mine for the same reason and got myself a x100 love it!

dizzyg44

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 07:22:52 am »

Ditto, tried the NEX-7, loved the IQ of it but hated the camera.  I don't think I could ever give up my X100 though I've been solely shooting the M6 the past week and loving it....
Pages: [1]   Go Up