Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Antelope Canyon in Arizona  (Read 12739 times)

ch9sab

• Simon Byrne Photography - Landscape and travel
Re: Antelope Canyon in Arizona
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2012, 07:36:33 am »

Hmm.  We went a couple years back in June while spending a couple weeks up at the North Rim.  I'd made my reservations for the photographers tour well in advance and never heard anything like that from them. In fact, I was going to leave the wife and kids in Page while I went but they told us it was fine if they came along.  All total, our truck was maybe 1/2 full...no more than 10-12 people.

Unfortunately, two of them, a elderly couple, made a habit of walking in front of those of us who'd set our tripods up.  At one point, she tripped over mine and turned to her husband and said..."this is ridiculous, these people and their cameras are holding us up, they should have a tour just for photographers".  The guide was a lot kinder with her than any of us would have been.

as i mentioned, that was just my experience. i had heard good things about them which is why i went there first, unfortunately on that day they were not pleasant to deal with.

aross007

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2012, 04:45:11 pm »

We've been to Upper, Lower, and Canyon X.  We go in March, which helps with crowds.  Canyon X was just two of us and the guide, which was special, but Lower is my favorite.   My advice is to get to the canyon as soon as it opens, buy the photographers pass,  Go down through the canyon as fast as you can make yourself go, and work back up so that you meet the tour groups.  You will probably have quite a period of time before the first group comes through, and then they will pass you relatively quickly.

While we were there one of the guides was carrying a wooden flute.  We talked him into playing a little bit - Magical!

Alan

jmd56

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2012, 02:27:27 am »

My good friend Tony, before he died at 62, said "Be grateful".
seems to be worth a mention at the moment. He would have
enjoyed seeing some of the great photography on this site
as much as I do.

James

sanfairyanne

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2012, 02:28:40 pm »

I skim read the replies so forgive me if someone has already mentioned this. I think a lot of interest in upper and to a large extent lower Antelope is available pointing the camera upwards as opposed to forwards. As was mentioned the canyons are famous for the light beams but by selecting an upward view you can be shooting there when it's ram packed.

I sure wish Antelope was a thousand miles from civilisation so it wouldn't have become what it has.

ckimmerle

• http://www.chuckkimmerle.com
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2012, 10:38:23 am »

It seems to me that, if your plans are to visit a major photographer's destination, then you should be prepared for an onslaught of tripod-wielding bipeds. After all, they are only doing exactly what you are doing, and all of you in a very confined environment. Why expect differently?

If one wants to avoid the crowds, then one needs to stop thinking like the crowds.
"The real voyage of discove

Fine_Art

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2012, 03:38:39 pm »

I went to upper antelope a few years back with a tripod. The indian lady from the tour site took her own tripod with a compact camera. For the basic tour price she let me stay an extra half hr while we both did shots. I think she added some extra time becasue there was still a large group when we arrived. It thinned to us and 2 other people for most of it. If you arrive midday you are doomed.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up