Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Heat mounting pigment prints  (Read 1354 times)

Geraldo Garcia

• Personal blog
Heat mounting pigment prints
« on: April 01, 2012, 03:45:50 pm »

Hi friends,

I am considering the purchase of a hot/cold vacuum press to dry mount some prints and could not find any specific information about this:
How pigment prints react to the high temperature? I see some mentions about using "not so high temperature" but that is quite vague. What is the maximum temperature we should consider to dry mount a pigment print? What happens if we exceed that temperature?

I searched this forum and googled it, but without luck.
What is your personal experience on this matter?

Thanks.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
Re: Heat mounting pigment prints
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 06:07:59 pm »

RC papers will buckle, craze, and delaminate somewhere around 220F.  But 190F is not a problem.

Badly applied canvas coating will sort of melt at rather modest temperatures.  Worst case is when somebody has piled on way to many coats trying to fix this or that coating problem.  But good coatings will stand up to at least 180F for at least the time needed for a typical vacuum heat cycle using Fusion 4000 or similar adhesive-only tissues.

Other than that, most inkjet media will stand up to at least 190F for extended periods of time.

Clamp down on a reject print for about 20 minutes at a little more than the temperature you think you'll need, nothin' better than an actual test.  I have done this a few times and never saw any problem that I could identify.

You mentioned that you are using a vacuum heat press so moisture will not be a problem for you.  However, for the record, anybody dry mounting with an old fashioned clamping press definitely will want to press the print + backing - tissue for a couple minutes to drive out the moisture prior to the actual mounting procedure.  Nothing compromises dry mounting like moisture in the media, and failing to drive out moisture is the biggest mistake rooky dry mounters make.

And of course, develop a keen eye and sensitive fingers to detect the tiniest mote of junk between backing, tissue, and art.  Nothing in this Universe more ugly than a bump on a dry mounted inkjet print, especially glossy ones.  That's one of the reasons I don't dry mount anymore, the other ones are heat, time, and generally excessive fussiness.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 06:26:47 pm »

Superb info as usual, Bill. 

Geraldo Garcia

• Personal blog
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 10:12:54 pm »

Thanks a lot Bill.

I have not tested it because I am on my initial stage of research, deciding if it is a good idea to buy the press. Your info was exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up