Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: still printing issues with OSx Lion???  (Read 4338 times)

zobeleye

• zobeleye
still printing issues with OSx Lion???
« on: March 31, 2012, 06:49:34 pm »

Hi guys,
just thought that I should update to Lion, a decision I have delayed for months, since my last update to leopard was a disaster with Epson and Apple not getting it right and me having to print from my old laptop for a couple o weeks.
so...
i'm wondering if these problems with drivers and printing systems are now taken care of with updates and stuff.
I am on an Epson 3800 with LR 4.1.
thanks for any hints or comments
cheers
stephan from NZ
mac pro 32 gb,eizoCG318,LR,nikon,fuji,Pentax645Z
http://zobeleye.com/

Luca Ragogna

• PicFoundry
Re: still printing issues with OSx Lion???
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 08:32:57 pm »

I've got an Epson 2880 and a 9890, no issues printing from Lion for me.

elolaugesen

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 04:24:14 am »

I have lion 10.7.3   latest epson drivers epson 3800 pro   no issues..

note I do use profiles Datacolor spyderprint3 sr ICC  2.0

I have had issues with ICC 2.4 profiles from other suppliers...     There seems to be just a very small group of users with that problem

as soon as I use 2.0 I am ok              2.4 is ok with Lightroom and Aperture but not Photoshop CS5 or PSE 9/10

I guess that points the finger at adobe as 2.4 profiles works with PSE 6 and CS4   

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 01:48:35 pm »

OS X Lion printing issues are much less than previous releases except for those who skipped Snow Leopard.  If you skipped Snow Leopard you "may" see some of the issues other saw when they upgraded to that.

One key is to get everything "cleaned" out of your printing system so you are starting fresh.  This resolved the majority of issues when installing Snow Leopard.

One other issue I've seen twice now is the OS X CUPS driver taking over the Epson driver.  On two occasions now when printing, all my custom choices normally available through the Epson driver where gone, and the OS X choices were back.  After uninstalling and reinstalling drivers it fixed, only to happen again.

I think i've cured this (we'll see.)  After running the Epson uninstall utility and resetting the Mac printing system (I have a write up here), go to yourharddrive/Library/Printers and throw the entire Epson folder in the trash.  Also make sure when you get notification of a Apple software update which includes Epson drivers DO NOT install them if you use a pro grade Epson.  Most issues with Lion occur when the Apple supplied drivers override the Epson drivers.

Also when installing the printer in the Print and Scan preference, when clicking the + icon if you see the name of your printer show up in a little pop up menu, do not select it from there, that may load the apple driver. Instead select Add Other Printer and then find the printer in the list.

I'm trying to find a definitive way to remove all traces of Apples CUPS drivers for Epsons.  Epson used to make a utility that did it, but I don't recall where I found it.

elolaugesen

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 02:45:45 pm »

thanks... Wayne...

Yes I have not done a clean  clean install since panther....

I have removed all traces (?) of epson from my machine(s) twice never ever had the cup issue and have been diligent in trying to make sure all traces of the issues mentioned have been removed from my machine
other users have had the problem with the ICC 2.4 profiles from xrite  and OSX/ADOBE cs5(PSE9)

note I can run PSE6 and CS4 without the problem  (Hm......)

still no problem with aperture or lightroom (including lightroom 4

Mac Mahon

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 03:04:03 pm »

Stefan
Same setup, same country!
No issues at all
Tim

elolaugesen

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 03:23:26 pm »

Hi. 

I would upgrade..   and go with I am up and running all the software is working.    but with ICC profiles 2.0.

I would still go with it.   

Only issue I personally have with Lion  and that is the implementation of versions and the removal of SAVE AS from all of apples basic applications like pages, numbers , preview, etc......   some developers are implementing it while others like NeOoffice and Graphic converter are offering an  opt out  option.  Imagine photoshop without SAVE AS?????

This is a workflow issue that each of us must learn to live with .....   tough after a lifetime of SAVE AS (option is to use non apple apps for now)

My accountant does not like it as there is no guarantee that what I give him monthly is the final version.   also he wants a monthly final copy of accounts on file....

dbraid

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 02:00:56 pm »

I am wondering if anyone here can help me resolve some issues after upgrading to Lion.

I am using CS5 on a Macbook and printing on an Epson Sylus Photo R2400. I recently upgraded to OSX 10.7 (from 10.58 if this matters). When I compare a photo that I printed before the upgrade with one printed after the upgrade (using the same paper and profile and the file has not been edited between printings), the one printed in 10.7 has a slight magenta cast (the original print has pastel greenish blues; the one printed from 10.7 is more greyish violet). The original print matches the calibrated monitor better as well. I am using photoshop to manage colors, and, as far as I can tell with the new driver, printer color management is turned off (this seems to happen when the settings are selected in the photoshop print window).

I have read that there were potential issues with drivers, but I have cleaned out the Epson folder in my system library, reset the printing system, and reloaded the printer with newly downloaded drivers from Epson. None of this seems to change the output. This was done per Wayne Fox's clear directions (Thank you——although the Epson uninstall program does not seem to function on 10.7, unless I got the wrong one).

It may be possible that the new Epson driver yields different color from the same file/profile combination, but this strikes me as unlikely.

It may also be that there was some nozzle clogging in the original prints that, once cleared, has resulted in the color shift, but the number of consistent prints and timing of the shift makes this unlikely as well.

I am tempted to get a custom profile for the printer to address the match issue, but if there is some software glitch that is causing the shift, am not sure this is the right solution either.

Does anyone have any advice as to how to resolve this issue?

Thanks

jgbowerman

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 12:37:11 pm »

I recently upgraded from Snow Leopard to Lion, and unlike the Snow Leopard debacle, I had no issues with Lion except one, and it was significant. I use Profile Maker 5, or I should say, used. Profile Maker 5 will not operate with Lion and there are no fixes outside of spending 400 dollars to upgrade Profile Maker to i1Profiler. It had something to do with Lion not supporting Rosetta... I was disappointed that Xrite could not come up with a more reasonable solution. I did have to update my printer driver (iPF8300), but it was quick, easy, and without any expenses. Apple gave programers the heads up on Lion 6 months before its release, and it has already been out a year. Go for it... unless you have Profile Maker 5 and you don't have 400 extra dollars laying around.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 06:31:02 pm by jgbowerman »
Pages: [1]   Go Up