Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BC Timeless coating amount  (Read 1731 times)

mark707

BC Timeless coating amount
« on: March 31, 2012, 06:01:11 am »

Hi all,

Does anyone have an approx per sq ft figure for how much BC Timeless they use when roller coating a canvas?

Many thanks

Mark

Robcat

Re: BC Timeless coating amount
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 11:17:52 am »

I've switched to spraying but I recall I was using about 2/3 of a cup for rolling a 30 x 40" canvas.
Rob P

mark707

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 02:24:32 pm »

I've switched to spraying but I recall I was using about 2/3 of a cup for rolling a 30 x 40" canvas.
Rob P

Many thanks Rob

Landscapes

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 02:50:26 pm »

The thing with coating is that it wastes so much of the product if you rinse out your brush after.  I used to have a long narrow jar that I could leave the foam roller in and close the lid.  It could it in here for weeks and it was ready to go next time I had to roll.  I'm guessing that a 6 inch foam roller has to absorb at least 50ml if not 100ml worth of coating before it is saturated enough to use, and if you wash it out each time you're done, then more coating is going down the drain rather than onto the print.  Spray coating is just so much easier and hardly wastes any product.  Just buy a wagnar spray gun for less than $100 and you have all you need.  Cover the container when you are done, and the actual gun rinses in 3 minutes with only a couple of ml of the product rinsed away.

chez

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 02:58:39 pm »

The thing with coating is that it wastes so much of the product if you rinse out your brush after.  I used to have a long narrow jar that I could leave the foam roller in and close the lid.  It could it in here for weeks and it was ready to go next time I had to roll.  I'm guessing that a 6 inch foam roller has to absorb at least 50ml if not 100ml worth of coating before it is saturated enough to use, and if you wash it out each time you're done, then more coating is going down the drain rather than onto the print.  Spray coating is just so much easier and hardly wastes any product.  Just buy a wagnar spray gun for less than $100 and you have all you need.  Cover the container when you are done, and the actual gun rinses in 3 minutes with only a couple of ml of the product rinsed away.

Cost of the sprayer is not the issue. Location to spray is.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 06:24:59 pm »

I have great luck spraying large prints outside provided they are in the vertical position.  For some reason, I almost never have problems with crud.  Although for about a week in the Spring little tiny saturated-color-loving flies can drive me nuts.

Yes, that roller holds a lot of paint.  For periods of 2 or 3 days you can put the entire roller + handle in a 1 or 2 gallon freezer bag, get out the most air you can before sealing.  A 2.5 gallon bag holds an entire 9" roller + handle.  Maybe add a couple drops of water.  For long periods you can wrap up the wet roller tightly in some clinging food-wrapping tissue.

FWIW I find I can get very nice spray coated prints using about 1/2 the paint I need for rolling, even when I preserve the wet roller between sessions.  Takes about 7 ml of Glamour II concentrate (which is 10ml of diluted solution) to richly coat a square foot of print.

Also, spray cans of Clearjet FA2000 and AFA2000 can coat a canvas outdoors that can be taken back inside after just a couple minutes. However, be sure you keep those recently coated prints in a room with an open window and a door that can be closed to the rest of the house, takes a few days to lose the stink.

John Nollendorfs

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 07:21:16 pm »

I had been using a Wagner HVLP twin turbine, but found that it created quite a bit of overspray in the room. A few weeks ago, I picked up a "cheap" ($15) gravity feed HVLP gun from Harbor freight. Wow, now that's a real spray gun with very little overspray! I had a small 5 gallon compressor I used for the pneumatic stapler, and I was worried if it would have enough capacity--no problem, because you don't have to use it for continual spraying--2'x3' canvas can be coated in less than a minute!

Landscapes

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 07:43:54 pm »

Cost of the sprayer is not the issue. Location to spray is.

Yes.. I do agree... and I decided to just spray mine in the bathroom.  Yes there is a some over spray, and I wouldn't spray in there if I had 3 or 4 to do at a time, but for one, its no problem.  I use clamps to hold onto a big piece of foamcore from the curtain rod.  It is done in under a minute, times 4 coats, and I leave the door closed with the fan on.  Sure my tiles get just a bit of spray on them, but really, this stuff will dissolve with water and a bit of scrubbing so its really a non issue.  Its not toxic so your ventilation doesn't need to be superb, and I personally think it works fine.  I have done at least 20 canvases this way and don't really notice any buildup of coating anywhere except maybe the edge of the bathtub which I say can easy be scrubbed off.

mark707

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 02:37:54 am »

Thanks again for all the replies. Mark
Pages: [1]   Go Up