Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Arca D4 geared Head  (Read 23219 times)

torger

Re: Arca D4 geared Head
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2013, 02:12:09 am »

I noted that the pano's are designed in a compact way which is great but has the drawback that there is no real place to put any scales. The bottom pano has no scale, and the top pano has a scale but it's not complete on its own, you need an arrow on the quick-release clamp to point out the position. In my original classic screw clamp there is a small metal pin that works as this arrow. If I would change the clamp I would lose this, so one reason to keep it is to keep the top pano scale.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 02:28:13 am by torger »

NancyP

« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2013, 07:38:59 pm »

Bad news. I emailed Precision Camera Works and the new heads with AS clamps are made so the clamps cannot be removed. They add something besides just doing a simple reversible Loctite job on the screw - it seems likely that they have some sort of peg/slot system as for the RRS clamps. That's good if you like the clamp and don't plan to change it, not so good otherwise.  But I would consult Precision Camera Works (sells and repairs AS gear), Rod Klukas the distributor, or Arca-Swiss.de to see if the clamp can be changed by factory authorized service. For the D4 or Cube, I'd say it would be worth a high repair bill. For the more common models Z1 and P0, swapping, buying used, or buying new may be cheaper if you can sell the old head.

I actually like the flip-lock lever, it has grown on me, and it is reassuringly solid and safe, but I have noticed that the Sunwayfoto 100 mm nodal rail and the Kirk L brackets can't be accommodated at the same setting. I just won't touch the setting when in the field, due to having had the clamp fall apart the first time I attempted to change the factory width setting. Chasing tiny washers is fine on a clean floor, but I have no desire to sort through 4 inches of leaf litter.

If anyone knows of a different 100 mm nodal rail with perpendicular clamp at the end, I would like to hear about it, because the DP2 Merrill needs a short nodal rail so the other end of the slide doesn't show in the photo. I suppose the other thing I could do is buy one of those small back-to-back clamps and place it on the regular 150mm nodal rail.

Eric Brody

• http://www.ericbrodyphoto.com
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2013, 10:31:31 pm »

I've read a lot about the D4 and issues with the clamp, and have one lingering question. Will it work with RRS plates? I have and love an old Arca B1 but have always fantasized about having a geared head, a cube would be lovely but the D4 is less expensive. Thanks.

torger

« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2013, 04:09:18 am »

The classic screw clamp works with every third party plate. The only real drawback with it is the 3-4 second tighten/loosen time, otherwise you have a clamp with higher pressure, more robust, and takes plates with slightly varying widths. It's also easier to operate with gloves on.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2013, 10:50:42 am »

Thanks for good info.

Best regards
Erik

Bad news. I emailed Precision Camera Works and the new heads with AS clamps are made so the clamps cannot be removed. They add something besides just doing a simple reversible Loctite job on the screw - it seems likely that they have some sort of peg/slot system as for the RRS clamps. That's good if you like the clamp and don't plan to change it, not so good otherwise.  But I would consult Precision Camera Works (sells and repairs AS gear), Rod Klukas the distributor, or Arca-Swiss.de to see if the clamp can be changed by factory authorized service. For the D4 or Cube, I'd say it would be worth a high repair bill. For the more common models Z1 and P0, swapping, buying used, or buying new may be cheaper if you can sell the old head.

I actually like the flip-lock lever, it has grown on me, and it is reassuringly solid and safe, but I have noticed that the Sunwayfoto 100 mm nodal rail and the Kirk L brackets can't be accommodated at the same setting. I just won't touch the setting when in the field, due to having had the clamp fall apart the first time I attempted to change the factory width setting. Chasing tiny washers is fine on a clean floor, but I have no desire to sort through 4 inches of leaf litter.

If anyone knows of a different 100 mm nodal rail with perpendicular clamp at the end, I would like to hear about it, because the DP2 Merrill needs a short nodal rail so the other end of the slide doesn't show in the photo. I suppose the other thing I could do is buy one of those small back-to-back clamps and place it on the regular 150mm nodal rail.
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up