Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sigh, Another Expensive Interest (Long Post)  (Read 8281 times)

Kevin Gallagher

Sigh, Another Expensive Interest (Long Post)
« on: March 30, 2012, 04:53:46 pm »

It started about 18 months ago, after finding my old reel to reel tape deck stored in the basement for over 25 years, I turned it on, threaded up a tape and wham it played some 35 year old tapes without missing a beat. So began my quest to recreate my stereo system of yesteryear. My Radio Shack Nova 8 speakers worked fine as did the RS turntable. I needed to locate my old receiver (Realistic STA-180) and another of my 8 track record/play deck. Well after a little bit of time and not too much money the old system was recreated and sounded great!

There's the STA-180 on the bottom with a TR-800 8 track above.

Here is a shot showing the Realistic 909 tape deck in the mix

Not content to leave well enough alone, I acquired a TEAC A-4300 that had been restored and
 had just about 0 time on the heads. This is where things start to get expensive  :)

That was followed by a Sansui G9000 receiver $$$   :)

And now for the frosting on the cake, a Marantz 2385
thats been totally restored $$$$$

Not expecting to win any awards for the photos :)

Just wanted to share with you guys

Kevin in CT

Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell

Rob C

Re: Sigh, Another Expensive Interest (Long Post)
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 04:56:42 am »

Kevin, I can't hear a thing; are you sure you're plugged in?

Rob C

RFPhotography

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 07:35:37 am »

It's not clear to me why the need for two receivers.  Or is this the audio version of GAS at work? ;D

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 08:01:02 am »

Rob C  Many moons ago when I was still living at home, I rolled in at about 0200 feeling no pain. Went down to the basement, plugged in my headphones and fired up the stereo at quite a high volume. What I'd forgotten was the speakers were not automatically muted when you inserted the headphones like they were on the combo phone/tape/fm units of the day..anyway, there I was, eyes closed and grooving to the music when I was pulled up right out the chair by my dad wanting to know if I'd  "lost my GD mind", scared me out of 10 years of my life! The strange thing is that this exact same thing happened to a buddy a couple of months before but in his case he was in his room with the door locked and only realized something was up when he saw his door shaking because his parents were pounding on it :)

BobFisher It's definitely GAS at work Bob, I need to learn to stay the heck off of Ebay!!  I'd forgotten to mention in the OP that you should NOT go prowling on Ebay after a couple of adult beverages, I did, and saw a pair of Bose 901 Series 5's up for 600.00, I'd been lusting for a set of these for years and figured what the heck I'll offer 200.00..the offer was accepted the shipping on the darn things was over 100.00 but they were/are in great condition and sound superb.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 08:32:35 am by Kevin Gallagher »
Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 04:54:27 am »

Rob C  Many moons ago when I was still living at home, I rolled in at about 0200 feeling no pain. Went down to the basement, plugged in my headphones and fired up the stereo at quite a high volume. What I'd forgotten was the speakers were not automatically muted when you inserted the headphones like they were on the combo phone/tape/fm units of the day..anyway, there I was, eyes closed and grooving to the music when I was pulled up right out the chair by my dad wanting to know if I'd  "lost my GD mind", scared me out of 10 years of my life! The strange thing is that this exact same thing happened to a buddy a couple of months before but in his case he was in his room with the door locked and only realized something was up when he saw his door shaking because his parents were pounding on it :)

I appreciate the incidents! I've had this happen, but not at such high volume, here at home. I live in an apartment with another two above me - there's a tiny button you have to press (Pioneer Stereo Receiver SX-203 RDS) in order to silence the wall speakers and hear only through the earphones. Without putting on specs, it's impossible to tell, visually, if the button has or has not been pushed on or off... used to happen sometimes when my wife wanted to read and I thought I'd like rock'n'roll; I'd see the despairing look and the waving fist! The problem, really, is that the bass travels everywhere in the building and the higher notes do not, so it's not even loud music, just thump, thump, thump, which can drive you insane.

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up