Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replacing LR hard drive with one of larger capacity  (Read 2824 times)

Bob Boner

Replacing LR hard drive with one of larger capacity
« on: March 30, 2012, 04:16:41 pm »

I am about to go nuts with this. I have a 1 TB hard drive in my computer that is named "Lightroom." It has the files I have imported to LR (2010, 2011, and 2012), the catalog, and a few other items and it is now full. I would like to replace it with a 1.5 TB hard drive (say named "Lightroom 2", which would have my 2012 imported files, the catalog, and other files I will import in the future. I don't want the 2010 and 2011 imported files to reside on the new hard drive "Lightroom 2." I would like to remove the hard drive "Lightroom" from the computer and use it as an off-line backup of the earlier files. I have discovered that just copying the files and catalog to the new drives is a big mistake. Nothing I have tried works. I would greatly appreciate any help anybody can give me. To repeat, I want to replace the hard drive I am currently using in my computer with a slightly bigger one, and use the current one as a backup. I would prefer not to see all the folders etc on the replacement hard drive appear with a "?" after their names (don't want to see them at all until I reconnect the original hard drive back to the computer.

I suspect that I could keep the current drive in the computer and "move" the files I want to archive to an external drive. As I understand it, this would free up space on the internal drive to add more files. Am I correct about this? However, I really would like to have the larger hard drive in the computer.

I have been using 2 drives in the computer, "Lightroom" and "Lightroom bk". As I import to the first drive I have it backed up to the second drive. Both internal drives are now full. My reason for doing it this way was that I could then replace both drives and use them as archives. Maybe this is not the best strategy. I am certainly open to a new strategy if that would be better.

Thanks in advance for any help anybody can give me.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Re: Replacing LR hard drive with one of larger capacity
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 01:01:34 am »

Unclear what might be the issue or what you might have tried.  The files can reside anywhere and can be moved.  It's easier if all the files are in a single directory on the drive.  Lightroom can change the reference to all the files in this case by right clicking on that folder in the Library Module, and update the folder location.  Just point it to the matching folder on the new drive.  Even you have multiple folders at the same level, I think updating one of them will change the LR reference and the others will update.

I have duplicate copies of catalogs and files, and switch frequently.  (a portable drive to a raid at my main workstation.)  I'll back up the portable drive using a cloning utility, then open the LR catalog on that volume, then point it to the files on that volume as well.  When I need to take things with me, I back it up the other way (all quite automatic and easy with presets using a utility called Carbon Copy Cloner).  The entire workstation hard drive is cloned to a folder on a backup 6TB 4drive raid 5 each morning at 4:00.

Robert55

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 04:25:36 am »

Not sure what you mean by 'copy' and 'move'. Do you let LR do that or the operating system?

As for your general strategy: IMHO having the back-up on an internal drive is not good practice. The whole PC might get fried or stolen. Back-ups should be on external drives, preferably more than one, with one stored elsewhere.
This also suggests an easier way of solving your capacity problem.
Buy 1 or 2 2TB externals and use these for 1 or 2 back-ups.
After checking those back-ups, you can empty the second internal and use it for your new data when the first internal disk is filled.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 10:55:05 am by Robert55 »

kevk

• Kevin Kucks Photography
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 04:52:33 am »

... I have discovered that just copying the files and catalog to the new drives is a big mistake. Nothing I have tried works...
Copying the files and catalog to the new big drive is the correct strategy. I assume you attached the new drive externally and copied the internal drive's files to the new external drive. Once copied, you take out the old internal drive and install the new one internally. Then run LR on the catalog on the internal drive...if your drive name has changed the photos will have the "?" - but the first time you "locate" a missing file LR will fix all these broken links.
To get rid of the unwanted 2010 and 2011 files from the new internal drive, in LR select them and "Photo > Delete Photo" and select the option to "Delete from disk".

Having said all this, I prefer to have the LR catalog and images on an external drive, but this is only feasible if you have a fast external connection - e.g. eSATA. (USB2 is not fast enough).

Does this do the job you are after? Does this get over the "Nothing I have tried works" - if not, please give more detail on what goes wrong with this strategy.

Kevin

RFPhotography

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 07:28:58 am »

If you want a clean setup on the new drive (i.e., don't want to see the old folders) then you really want to set up a new catalogue.  Far less cumbersome than moving the existing catalogue and deleting folders.  Move the images from 2012 onto the new drive.  Set up the new catalogue and re-import the files.  If you want all of  your Develop adjustments to be there as well then you need make sure that there are XMP files for all your RAW files and if there aren't, you need to save out the files to create the XMP sidecars.

bobtowery

• Antarctica 2016
    • http://bobtowery.typepad.com
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 07:36:16 pm »

You might also consider getting a larger capacity in your replacement drive. You are only getting another 500 gig. Depends on your camera(s) and shooting frequency, but cost wise it won't cost you anything to move up to 2 tb.

As our cameras create larger files, we fill the disks more quickly.

I have been using a 2 tb for my main pics drive for about a year, but I'm close to running out. So this week I'll be moving it to a new 3 tb hitachi drive.
Bob
 ht
Pages: [1]   Go Up